It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Non-verbal communication and commands

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Decuervo
Puppy
Puppy
Decuervo

Non-verbal communication and commands Empty
PostSubject: Non-verbal communication and commands   Non-verbal communication and commands EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:33 am

Over the past couple of weeks me and Anushka have been working on taking verbal commands and relaying them in hand gestures. I never thought it would go so fast. She now knows hand gestures for sit, speak, down, off, shake, kiss, stay, and go. She's also picked up a head nod, like when a human picks their chin up quick in a "hey what's up" manner. Anyone else have their husky doing this? This has only started since we began work on the non-verbal commands. I'm not sure what she's trying to say with the "what's up" thing.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Non-verbal communication and commands   Non-verbal communication and commands EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 12:17 pm

My female understands non-verbal commands. She knows mine and hubby has a couple of his own.

Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Non-verbal communication and commands   Non-verbal communication and commands EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 12:26 pm

Yep. I've always taught hand signals along with my verbal cues. The girls listen better to the cues then me actually saying the command.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Decuervo
Puppy
Puppy
Decuervo

PostSubject: Re: Non-verbal communication and commands   Non-verbal communication and commands EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 12:33 pm

In ya'lls experience have your dogs made up their own signals for something they want? I'm just trying to figure out what the head nod means.
Back to top Go down
SkyPlusUs
Teenager
Teenager
SkyPlusUs

Female Join date : 2013-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Non-verbal communication and commands   Non-verbal communication and commands EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 12:35 pm

No idea what it could be.. keep an eye out for when she does it and see if you can spot the trigger? it might give you some clue to what it is

My first dog was GSD and I didn't intend to use gestures with her, I just found myself doing the same movements as I was training her so I tried the gesture without speaking and she did what I wanted.

I did the same with Wispa and now I doing it with Sky and she is catching on quick
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Non-verbal communication and commands   Non-verbal communication and commands EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 2:03 pm

When we were training, I figured out Danzig responds far better to hand signals.

Not sure what the head nod could mean. Danzig usually does this while standing at the back door. It's his cue to go potty. I would see what else their doing at the time.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Non-verbal communication and commands   Non-verbal communication and commands EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 2:23 pm

Stark's trained on pretty much every hand signal for his tricks except for speak & whisper (need to find good ones to differentiate those). For my next dog, though, I'm going to see if I can correlate the hand signals to the standard sign language. Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Non-verbal communication and commands   Non-verbal communication and commands EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 2:26 pm

Same with Link, he responds better to hand gestures than words. I did some research and this is apparently common for dogs with high prey drive.....they focus on things that move. Makes sense.

He knows most basics in hand signals and if I include a snap of my fingers he really pays attention and follows the command, works great.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Non-verbal communication and commands   Non-verbal communication and commands EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 2:40 pm

UndarthAngipoo wrote:
Stark's trained on pretty much every hand signal for his tricks except for speak & whisper (need to find good ones to differentiate those). For my next dog, though, I'm going to see if I can correlate the hand signals to the standard sign language. Smile

With my previous dog Roxzanna, I would point my finger straight up in the air for speak, whisper I just put my finger on my lips like telling someone to Shhh! Lol. Both of my previous dogs picked up on hand signals pretty quick. I always did them along with the verbal command, so it was fairly easy to transition them to just hand signals.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Non-verbal communication and commands   Non-verbal communication and commands EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 2:42 pm

How did you start speak though? Speak on command is the next thing I'm gonna work on.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Non-verbal communication and commands   Non-verbal communication and commands EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 3:25 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
How did you start speak though? Speak on command is the next thing I'm gonna work on.

When Sheba started to howl, in the middle of her doing it I would say "Speak Sheba!" and she would howl again. For me it worked out better when she was being super vocal and crazy hyper so I wouldn't just say "Speak!" and her do nothing. That kind of defeats the purpose LOL. That's pretty much it. After about a week of saying "Speak!" while she was already speaking, she "speaks" on command now Smile.

Just like with all commands, some dogs pick them up faster then others, so don't get discouraged Smile.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Decuervo
Puppy
Puppy
Decuervo

PostSubject: Re: Non-verbal communication and commands   Non-verbal communication and commands EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Well near the end of the afternoon training session she did the head nod again. Seems to be that she's wanting/waiting for another command as there were no other indicators or outside influences . Her eyes were on me when she did it and not looking at anything but me. We also train outside so I'm pretty sure it's not her saying she needs to break. We do about 20 minutes per session twice a day that way she doesn't get bored and antsy. If it's not her way of saying "Still ready to work Dad" I have no clue.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Non-verbal communication and commands   Non-verbal communication and commands EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 5:24 pm

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
seattlesibe wrote:

When Sheba started to howl, in the middle of her doing it I would say "Speak Sheba!" and she would howl again. For me it worked out better when she was being super vocal and crazy hyper so I wouldn't just say "Speak!" and her do nothing. That kind of defeats the purpose LOL. That's pretty much it. After about a week of saying "Speak!" while she was already speaking, she "speaks" on command now Smile.

Just like with all commands, some dogs pick them up faster then others, so don't get discouraged Smile.

Thanks. Oddly enough, we went into our pet store today just to say hi and then he gets treats, of course. The manager asked him to speak, randomly, and she waited and he did! I told her about this thread and Speak being the next thing he is gonna learn, so her and I worked on it together in the store and he was doing it great. He kinda woos and half-howls bounce

I started using the gesture of pointing to my chin for him to Speak. Seems to work already. What fun!
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Non-verbal communication and commands   Non-verbal communication and commands EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 5:39 pm

Micole knows hand gestures too and actually understand hebrew better than english. When i speak in english i have to say it a few times she gets stubborn with me more. When I use hand gestures it doesn't take very long and hebrew she is on it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Non-verbal communication and commands   Non-verbal communication and commands Empty

Back to top Go down

Non-verbal communication and commands

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1