It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

stressing!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dreamraiderr
Newborn
Newborn
dreamraiderr

Female Join date : 2013-04-06

stressing! Empty
PostSubject: stressing!   stressing! EmptySun May 05, 2013 3:51 pm

Kaiya, my new puppy, is arriving in less than two weeks now and i am stressing out! I have been researching for a month but all of a sudden i feel like i dont know what i am doing! lol...

stressing about ; fleas and ticks (triflexis + tick collar?); what to train first!; i have to introduce the collar and leash (for going pee, walking isnt yet, i know); she has never met a cat, and i have two that have never met a dog!; she will come started on paper training but i want to crate train; i want to give her kong toys etc in her crate but worry it might make her go potty in the crate and ruin my chances on crate training ; we live in our basement for the next couple months and i worry about the hard floor on her young joints; and last but not least as she is comming from a rescue and hasnt had shots etc i have a vet apointment the same day as she is dropped off to me.. she will have a 6 hour drive to me and i worry it will be a long long day for her but she cant come into the house untill she has been cleared at the vet since i have other pets...

ack i was so excited until today now i am seaming to TRY to find things to worry about- that is not to say im not super excited, i feel like i already know her and simply ADORE her but i am still stressed and feel like i dont know enough!

---ranting i know.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

stressing! Empty
PostSubject: Re: stressing!   stressing! EmptySun May 05, 2013 3:58 pm

It is completely normal to be freaking- It shows you want the best for your husky.

I woudln't worry about the flooring, she'll be fine. The size of the crate has a lot to do with whether or not they will go to the bathroom in it. If it's too big make it smaller with a box or something. Also make it comfy with something to cuddle into. Shaqua loved blankets and pillows to burrow into as a puppy.

I have never had to worry about ticks/fleas so I don't have much advice there.

The best advice: Stick to your guns. Siberians are quite the deviants, but they are also irresistibly cute which makes it soooo hard to discipline them. Make sure you stay consistant and resist the urge to let them do a "no-no" just because they are so cute. They WILL take advantage of that.
Back to top Go down
SkyPlusUs
Teenager
Teenager
SkyPlusUs

Female Join date : 2013-04-13

stressing! Empty
PostSubject: Re: stressing!   stressing! EmptySun May 05, 2013 4:12 pm

First... Calm down, breathe.

I can't help with fleas/ticks cos I'm in the UK and we have different stuff or Crate training cos I've never done it

We do have 3 cats (and now 4 tiny kittens), 2 rabbits and a labrador. Sky and the cats haven't really gotten along until a couple days ago, now they curl up together and don't fight over the water bowl. We've introduced them slowly and never without us, the cats always have an escape room where the pup can't get to and we've tried to give them all the same amount of cuddles to show one isn't better than the other.

Sky already knew her name so the first thing we taught was sit, then giving paws, lie down and wait. We only did paw so early because it seemed like an easy progression from sit. We constantly work on recall, I'll randomly shout her from round the house and give her a treat when she comes.. sometimes she just ignores me lol
Back to top Go down
dreamraiderr
Newborn
Newborn
dreamraiderr

stressing! Empty
PostSubject: Re: stressing!   stressing! EmptySun May 05, 2013 4:20 pm

CavingSiberian wrote:

I woudln't worry about the flooring, she'll be fine.

Thanks, i was concerned about that ever since i read a thing this morning on not walking them too much on pavement and thought- omg my floor is almost the same! lol

SkyPlusUs wrote:

We do have 3 cats (and now 4 tiny kittens), 2 rabbits and a labrador. Sky and the cats haven't really gotten along until a couple days ago, now they curl up together and don't fight over the water bowl. We've introduced them slowly and never without us, the cats always have an escape room where the pup can't get to and we've tried to give them all the same amount of cuddles to show one isn't better than the other.

Sky already knew her name so the first thing we taught was sit, then giving paws, lie down and wait. We only did paw so early because it seemed like an easy progression from sit. We constantly work on recall, I'll randomly shout her from round the house and give her a treat when she comes.. sometimes she just ignores me lol

How did you first introduce them? A big room with everyone loose? leash on puppy? My pup hasnt even worn a collar yet so thats what ill be spending time working on at first, she has had her name for a month now so hopefully she will kinda know it. My cats are loose in the house.. one is mellow and declawed the other is kinda---ifffy. She is cool with people but if you make her jump, and its easy to do, she flips and swipes. but its all 'in the moment' no grudges or anything.. and windows and sounds scare the crap out of her so i feel the puppy will scare her pretty bad.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

stressing! Empty
PostSubject: Re: stressing!   stressing! EmptySun May 05, 2013 7:32 pm

My dogs do well with my cats. I have 2 Siberians and 2 cats.

I use comfortis as needed (not every month, only the really risky ones or for shows) and we use ivomec for heartworm.

Try to relax if you can and just read!

I suggest investing in Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health in Dogs & Cats. It is so helpful!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
dreamraiderr
Newborn
Newborn
dreamraiderr

stressing! Empty
PostSubject: Re: stressing!   stressing! EmptySun May 05, 2013 9:38 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
My dogs do well with my cats. I have 2 Siberians and 2 cats.

I use comfortis as needed (not every month, only the really risky ones or fso.. lol shows) and we use ivomec for heartworm.

Try to relax if you can and just read!

I suggest investing in Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health in Dogs & Cats. It is so helpful!

I will take a look for that guide. What is your climate like there? Mine is very cold snowy winter but summer is super buggy, and i am bug phobic x 1000000 so.. lol
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

stressing! Empty
PostSubject: Re: stressing!   stressing! EmptyMon May 06, 2013 12:26 am

I'm about the same as you. Michigan is similar to Ontario.
Back to top Go down
dreamraiderr
Newborn
Newborn
dreamraiderr

stressing! Empty
PostSubject: Re: stressing!   stressing! EmptyMon May 06, 2013 11:42 am

Oops didn't notice that. I'm right on the boarder. Ill look into that one.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

stressing! Empty
PostSubject: Re: stressing!   stressing! EmptyMon May 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Are you in the Windsor area then?
Back to top Go down
SkyPlusUs
Teenager
Teenager
SkyPlusUs

Female Join date : 2013-04-13

stressing! Empty
PostSubject: Re: stressing!   stressing! EmptyMon May 06, 2013 2:09 pm

We introduced the cats to Sky all in the same room. Sky was pretty sleepy from her journey home so she wasn't all bouncy.. she had a few sniffs, got hissed at, walked off and went to sleep

We kept them in the same room for half hour and increased the time bit by bit. I'd fuss the cat and call Sky over and vice versa.

They all didn't exactly become BFF but now they all tolerate each other enough to sleep on the same sofa cushion. Strangely the one that disliked Sky the most is now the one that sleeps touching her

Back to top Go down
dreamraiderr
Newborn
Newborn
dreamraiderr

stressing! Empty
PostSubject: Re: stressing!   stressing! EmptyMon May 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Nope sault ste Marie. There is one in ontario and in mi with a river connecting them
Back to top Go down
dreamraiderr
Newborn
Newborn
dreamraiderr

stressing! Empty
PostSubject: Re: stressing!   stressing! EmptyMon May 06, 2013 6:01 pm

SkyPlusUs wrote:
We introduced the cats to Sky all in the same room. Sky was pretty sleepy from her journey home so she wasn't all bouncy.. she had a few sniffs, got hissed at, walked off and went to sleep

We kept them in the same room for half hour and increased the time bit by bit. I'd fuss the cat and call Sky over and vice versa.

They all didn't exactly become BFF but now they all tolerate each other enough to sleep on the same sofa cushion. Strangely the one that disliked Sky the most is now the one that sleeps touching her

Okay that sounds totally doable. Ill do that. Smile ironic about the cat that disliked her! Lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

stressing! Empty
PostSubject: Re: stressing!   stressing! Empty

Back to top Go down

stressing!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1