It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Shadow our 9 week old husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
katski13
Newborn
Newborn
katski13

Female Join date : 2013-05-08

Shadow our 9 week old husky Empty
PostSubject: Shadow our 9 week old husky   Shadow our 9 week old husky EmptyWed May 08, 2013 10:47 pm

Hello, We are new to these forums and are from Australia. My husband and I have new parents to a 9 week old husky called Shadow.

Our family also consists of 3 cavaliers and a cat. When we went to meet the litter the breeder suggested a male would have less of a prey drive and that this particular male was very sooky and would suit our 3 cavaliers. Not sure how accurate that is... lol

Shadow is very smart and in general is a good puppy (although he does play a little rough)

We are being tested though with this crate training. He is good during the night, he is in a smaller crate next to our bed.

during the day at first we tried him in the same crate but he howled and we were unsure that it was an appropriate size to be in during the day- there wasnt any room for playing, but ofcourse he can stand up and turn around etc. So we moved him to the bigger crate which is big enough to play in as well, but not too big that he would want to go to the toilet in there. We have put a blanket over the crate, he has water, plenty of toys and treats in there. Some days he is quite relaxed in there and settles himself in about 20 minutes ( I have a web cam set up that I can watch when at work) but other days, ie today he is very unsettled. He gets let out at about every 2-3 hrs while I am at work by a friend and in the mornings before he goes in there he runs around for at least 2 hours.

I have read the topics on crate training and to be persistant and to not give in... but if he is howling for an hour or more before settling is that too long? I am worried I am going to mentally damage him? Or am I just being too soft?

I have been reading through these forums and you guys provide so much help and information. I look forward to joining in Smile

Shadow our 9 week old husky Shadow%208%20weeks%20old
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Shadow our 9 week old husky   Shadow our 9 week old husky EmptyWed May 08, 2013 10:56 pm

Welcome! We're adopting a little girl at the end of the month who is right about the same age as your Shadow, and we are naming her Shadow as well Smile

With the crate training, it really is tough love that is needed. You're not going to mentally damage him if you let him howl for long periods of time, this is totally normal behavior during crate training. What would cause mental damage would be if you left him crated 24/7 and then screamed at him every time he made a noise. That's what happened to our Cocker before my husband got her. Just completely ignore the noise, and he will calm down soon enough. Stick with it, it will get better!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Shadow our 9 week old husky 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
katski13
Newborn
Newborn
katski13

PostSubject: Re: Shadow our 9 week old husky   Shadow our 9 week old husky EmptyWed May 08, 2013 11:12 pm

blueeyedghost: Thank you for your reply and your assurance we are doing the right thing. When I am work he is in the crate (but is let out regulary throughout that) and when its our bed time but apart from that he is free to run the house and yard. I wouldnt dream of crating him all the time. If I can work out how to post an image ill put one up Smile Love to see one of your shadow when you get her!

In general how long will the crying go on for? weeks, months?

He is a very bossy boy and we are noticing he body slams our cavaliers. Thankfully they dont stand for his behaviour and growl at him, but I do fear that the bigger he gets the less he will listen to them. Is it possible to teach him some manners in this respect or is it up to the other dogs?

Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Shadow our 9 week old husky   Shadow our 9 week old husky EmptyWed May 08, 2013 11:16 pm

Welcome to the forum! My 8 week old is going through the same thing with her play room, so I know how hard it is to deal with the persistant screaming! I too worried that it would damage her, but with some tough love, she is starting to at least wear herself out and go to sleep.

My pups crate is only big enough for her to stand-up, turn around, lay down and sprawl out. She does much better in her crate than in my 77 square foot sunroom which is her play room. She wines in the crate for 15 minutes then falls asleep. But when she is gated in her playroom she will persist for at least an hour! I think its because the room isn't very den-like.

It seems like some tough love and downsizing back to the smaller crate might help
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Shadow our 9 week old husky   Shadow our 9 week old husky EmptyWed May 08, 2013 11:19 pm

For pictures, check out this thread:

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t121-how-to-upload-photos-or-resize-them-for-the-forum

I personally use photobucket to upload my pictures, it works much better than some of the other image hosting sites I've used.

We were really lucky when we got Ghost, she came already crate trained (even at 10 weeks) and never made a peep in her crate at night. I know other people have said anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks. Just be consistent and never give any attention when he's making noise, and he should calm down fairly quickly.

As far as teaching the manners, I would suggest teaching him "gentle" and "leave it". We taught Ghost both, and she lives in harmony with 2 cats. She still tries to play with our Cocker who wants nothing to do with it, which is partly why we started looking for a 2nd Husky. As he gets a little older and gets more immunizations, start socializing him with other dogs. If you've got friends whose dogs are up to date on their shots, you should start doing play dates with different dogs. They will all sort of help teach him what's appropriate and what's not. We did that with Ghost, and it helped a lot.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Back to top Go down
katski13
Newborn
Newborn
katski13

PostSubject: Re: Shadow our 9 week old husky   Shadow our 9 week old husky EmptyWed May 08, 2013 11:29 pm

blueeyedghost

Thanks will check out that link and see if I can add some photos.

I have been sure to ignore the crying and only let him out once he has settled...

Shadow is attending puppy preschool next week which runs for 4 classes. I am hoping there he will begin to learn some manners and ofcourse will have some interaction with other puppies. He will then go to obedience. I have a few friends with dogs, thanks for the tip, ill give that ago! I am pleased to hear that Ghost gets on with your cats, I hope Shadow will eventually. Our cat runs the house.. so he is standing up to him but again once he grows this may change....

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Shadow our 9 week old husky   Shadow our 9 week old husky EmptyWed May 08, 2013 11:38 pm

You have to be really firm early on with the cat thing. Cats are part of the pack and to be left alone, and that needs to be enforced each and every time. That way it won't turn into a problem when he's older. We also have a kitty door in our basement door so the cats can get down there but the dogs can't. One of the cats actually plays with Ghost, and the other one wants nothing to do with her so she leaves him alone.

Back to top Go down
katski13
Newborn
Newborn
katski13

PostSubject: Re: Shadow our 9 week old husky   Shadow our 9 week old husky EmptyWed May 08, 2013 11:46 pm

Shadow our 9 week old husky Shadow15
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Shadow our 9 week old husky   Shadow our 9 week old husky EmptyWed May 08, 2013 11:50 pm

What a cutie!

Back to top Go down
katski13
Newborn
Newborn
katski13

PostSubject: Re: Shadow our 9 week old husky   Shadow our 9 week old husky EmptyWed May 08, 2013 11:55 pm

eddycaaa wrote:
Welcome to the forum! My 8 week old is going through the same thing with her play room, so I know how hard it is to deal with the persistant screaming! I too worried that it would damage her, but with some tough love, she is starting to at least wear herself out and go to sleep.

My pups crate is only big enough for her to stand-up, turn around, lay down and sprawl out. She does much better in her crate than in my 77 square foot sunroom which is her play room. She wines in the crate for 15 minutes then falls asleep. But when she is gated in her playroom she will persist for at least an hour! I think its because the room isn't very den-like.

It seems like some tough love and downsizing back to the smaller crate might help

Thanks for the welcome and the tips! I have tried to make both his crates like a den with a blanket over it..
Back to top Go down
katski13
Newborn
Newborn
katski13

PostSubject: Re: Shadow our 9 week old husky   Shadow our 9 week old husky EmptyWed May 08, 2013 11:59 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
You have to be really firm early on with the cat thing. Cats are part of the pack and to be left alone, and that needs to be enforced each and every time. That way it won't turn into a problem when he's older. We also have a kitty door in our basement door so the cats can get down there but the dogs can't. One of the cats actually plays with Ghost, and the other one wants nothing to do with her so she leaves him alone.

I watch Shadow and our cat all the time, never leave them alone together and have been saying no everytime he trys to play with him...I will try the whole leave training though and see how that goes
Back to top Go down
annaeli0824
Newborn
Newborn
annaeli0824

PostSubject: Re: Shadow our 9 week old husky   Shadow our 9 week old husky EmptyThu May 09, 2013 12:07 am

hi first time here as well i have a 14 month old almost 15 months old husky i was never able to train her in a crate and i dont think its a good idea to try it again or is it?
Back to top Go down
katski13
Newborn
Newborn
katski13

PostSubject: Re: Shadow our 9 week old husky   Shadow our 9 week old husky EmptyThu May 09, 2013 2:17 am

annaeli0824 wrote:
hi first time here as well i have a 14 month old almost 15 months old husky i was never able to train her in a crate and i dont think its a good idea to try it again or is it?

I certaily am no expert, but I guess if she is behaving now without having to be in a crate then perhaps its not necessary?

Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Shadow our 9 week old husky   Shadow our 9 week old husky EmptyThu May 09, 2013 5:04 pm

Quote :
If she needs to be in a crate, then you can start from scratch and try again. But you have to stick to your guns and use tough love. Letting her out when she cries will not make things better, it will only make it worse. You have to make the crate a safe and desirable place to go.
Back to top Go down
annaeli0824
Newborn
Newborn
annaeli0824

PostSubject: Re: Shadow our 9 week old husky   Shadow our 9 week old husky EmptyThu May 09, 2013 6:05 pm

well she dose behave but not all the time she will chew on the carpet and sofa but when we tell her to stop she will but she'll do it again later that day she will sit if told to and give u her paw roll over and jump up even try to say i "i love you" but i think the crate might be a good idea so she could learn to behave a little more and thanks for the advise =)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shadow our 9 week old husky   Shadow our 9 week old husky Empty

Back to top Go down

Shadow our 9 week old husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1