It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Companion breeds for huskies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 4:03 pm

Sondaisa is top tier from my understanding. A lot of others brag about having them in their lines. My understanding though is that you really need to check on the temperament of the parents. Akitas naturally are grouchy to put it nicely. They were originally bred to hunt bear and boars. They were later used by the military and trained to kill anyone who lifted a fan (that was how the commanders signaled to the troops). Then they were bred for dog fighting. Somewhere along the way they were mixed with mastiffs as well. It doesn't show up in the show dogs but I think you can definitely see it in the drooping, wrinkly faces of the less well bred ones. Huskies were bred to work together hauling goods so from the start they had vastly different functions. From my readings it seems that akitas aren't as energetic as huskies and a bit more aloof so I'm not sure how the two would mesh. I think if I can find a breeder who values temperament and socialize well that it should be fine. I would love to meet one with loki but no one in these parts has an akita lol.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 4:31 pm

Danielle, I agree they are beautiful. I am not so sure on compatibility with other dogs.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/akitas.html

Please read that before getting your hopes up too high for this breed. I have been around a couple in my lifetime, and not one was all that great with small animals, kids, and other dogs in general. They are big and powerful, and if you do not have a strong "hand" you may find too difficult to contain and train. I really do not want to be a Debbie Downer, but, imho, they really need to be a one dog household. Despite reassurance from great breeders about their dogs temperament, they still do have a mind of their own. If you do end up wanting one, I suggest a female and that the breeders deems the dog a docile, low drive dog. Most breeders of high drive, strong willed dogs will do temperament test on pups at 7 weeks old, if the breeder doesn't do this test, pass on that breeder. again, I hope I don't come off as sounding know it all, or that you personally couldn't handle one, I am actually thinking about Loki, his demeanor says he needs an active, social type dog, not a dog that is bred more for hunting and protection.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 12, 2015 6:12 pm

I'm going to chime in here since I have been around Akitas most of my life. My uncle, whom I see often, has always had Akitas and they have always been his favorite breed. That said, my sibe and his Akita(s) have never gotten along...to the point that they had to be kept separate when under the same roof. My sibe is friendly with all dogs but all of his Akitas have been rather standoff-ish with my sibe. Their play styles never really meshed. If they lived together I am quite sure it would be a different. Akitas are an interesting breed and very powerful, but beautiful and intelligent.

Unfortunately a past forum member here, Tiffany, is not around to comment but as I recall she had a female Akita living with 3 Siberian huskies and 2 Shiba Inu's with no issues. I remember many, many photos she posted of her Akita and 3 sibes playing together all the time. Clearly, Akitas can live with other breeds just fine. They also are not a one dog breed either obviously. My uncle has had 2 Akitas at the same time (1 male, 1 female) and now has a female Akita and a female Shephard/Lab mix.

My uncle has had Akitas since I was a child and raised his 2 children in a home with 2 Akitas so they can absolutely do well with children. Of course, every individual dog is different so it should go without saying that you may need to work with your future breeder to find the dog that will best mesh with your family (human and dog alike) and situation.

I have never been the biggest fan of Akitas despite growing up around them. They are just way too big (not to mention strong) for my taste. I still have a scar from my uncle's first Akita from when I was a child and went walking with his dog...and that particular dog was the smallest of all the Akitas they've ever had. I would also add that his dogs have rountinely suffered from arthritis and different forms of cancer. He lost his last 2 Akitas prematurely due to cancer. And his first had to be put to sleep due to 2 "bites" (on people) on it's record.

Teenager
Teenager
CoraTheHusky

Female Join date : 2015-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 12, 2015 10:19 pm

Rumflower wrote:
Do y'all have experience with huskies and akitas? I saw one user two years ago mention it but has anyone else put the two breeds together?

They are so beautiful! I'm in love with them but! The Akita that lives in my neighborhood has always disliked Cora since he met her when she was 10 weeks old. I feel like because Loki will be the older dog you could train the dog to be less standoff ish. I think it's a lot of researching like any breed. The only reason I will never get one is their size and strength I'm only 5 feet tall and a little over 100 pounds so it would be very hard for me to restrain the dog if need be.
Back to top Go down
Stefanie Miles
Teenager
Teenager
Stefanie Miles

Female Join date : 2015-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 11:45 am

I have a boxer, and they are best of friends. They roll all over the place in a little ball, and race all around the yard together. They are still small enough that they sleep wadded up in the cat bed (because their own separate beds are not sufficient). I don't know what they will do when they outgrow that. =]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Companion breeds for huskies?   Companion breeds for huskies? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Companion breeds for huskies?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3