It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How do I stop my husk from pulling?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
selinanguyen
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

How do I stop my husk from pulling? Empty
PostSubject: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptySun May 26, 2013 8:23 am

This is for my research project so I would appreciate it if you could share your stories and how you ended the pulling behaviour! If possible, leave a profile of your husky as this would be great to include in my research!

Thank you for your time, Very Happy Smile Laughing
Back to top Go down
Wolfpack5
Newborn
Newborn
Wolfpack5

Female Join date : 2013-05-21

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyWed May 29, 2013 8:30 am

For one of my husky, I just had to stop walking anytime he will pull and say no. another one I had to put the thick harness on him and pull back everytime he will pull.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyWed May 29, 2013 8:44 am

I teach my dogs to "heel". The type and position of the collar in addition to keeping the leash shorter and my body language clues them in. If I use a harness or regular collar down low on the neck and let them wander from my side and sniff around, they would likely drag me down the street. (That's pretty much true with any breed I've had.)
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyWed May 29, 2013 9:23 am

We over saturated with treats while walking.

I would give Tika a reward every time she was walking beside me in the proper location. We showered her in them until she understood how much freedom she had while on leash. It was then changed to walking in the right position and looking at me while saying "Good Heel".

And I mean every time. We really wanted to enforce that if she walked in that location and in a polite manner she would be rewarded for it.

Once she expected it, we slowed down on the amount of treats she would receive, until eventually she was weened completely off of them. After a while it is just like programing.

They get used to walking at a certain speed, or position and tend to just stay there. It isn't always that they expect a treat, they just understand where they should be in relation to you.

It does still happen that she pulls from time to time, but that is simply when we reset. I will turn an unexpected way or make her sit and do a trick for me and then continue when she is calm and focused once again.

~Chris~

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 3:24 pm

I follow what Cesar Milan says somewhat, I know some people disagree with it. But basically I started by keeping him on a very short lead, about a foot and anytime he pulled or didn't leave slack I would pull straight up. If he pulled hard I would stop and make him sit if he kept pulling. Like the above poster, I would give treats if he gave slack for about 5 seconds then 10 seconds and eventually not at all. And now I can give him the full 6 feet of lead but he just walks next to me anyways
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 6:41 pm

My 8 month old Husky pulls NON-STOP! We have tried all sorts of "non-pulling" devices and all have been a fail. The only thing that makes her not pull surprisingly is a harness. I originally thought the harness would encourage the pulling, but it's been our saving grace!
Back to top Go down
kogapupup
Newborn
Newborn
kogapupup

Female Join date : 2013-05-24

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 5:50 pm

I got a front lead harness and no more pulling. It is awesome. Koga loves it.
http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-collars-dog-harnesses/no-pull-dog-harnesses/easy-walk-no-pull-harness.html?sef_rewrite=1
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 6:06 pm

Shaqua got old, and she stopped pulling....ha ha!

I tried a lot of things but she was always a puller. I probably didn't try hard enough....but she doesn't pull anymore! lol
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 10:32 pm

I got the Walk your Dog With Love no pull harness. My dogs were all trained individually to heel. But then when I put them on walks together, it was just madness. And trying to use treats to praise them was extremely difficult as they all tried to take the others treat. I need two extra people that I didn't have. So I went ahead and tried the WYDWL and fell in love, I can walk all three no problems. MayaAndSophie also uses WYDWL for her three.

http://walkyourdogwithlove.com/
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 10:55 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
I got the Walk your Dog With Love no pull harness. My dogs were all trained individually to heel. But then when I put them on walks together, it was just madness. And trying to use treats to praise them was extremely difficult as they all tried to take the others treat. I need two extra people that I didn't have. So I went ahead and tried the WYDWL and fell in love, I can walk all three no problems. MayaAndSophie also uses WYDWL for her three.

I've actually been highly considering this harness. Lycus is 75lbs and somewhat a puller (he pulls the first 15 minutes on our walk, and when he sees other dogs). He also tends to ignore treats when he's over excited. :/

How would you rate this for a larger husky?
Do you recommend it?
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 11:03 pm

Rocio_Caballero wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:

I've actually been highly considering this harness. Lycus is 75lbs and somewhat a puller (he pulls the first 15 minutes on our walk, and when he sees other dogs). He also tends to ignore treats when he's over excited. :/

How would you rate this for a larger husky?
Do you recommend it?

Link is 46 pounds and my largest dog.. and my strongest puller. The only thing his old owners could use on him was a gentle leader, give him a normal collar and he would be a freight train. (Edit, and I refused to use the gentle leader on him, so I was using a normal collar and a chain martingale. Even with the chain martingale he still pulled horribly). With the WYDWL I can not only walk him, but the other two at the same time. I'd say it cut his power by 3/4. Plus its so adjustable it gives him a really nice fit so he can't slip out of it. At first, I was skeptical. I told myself I didn't want a front pulling harness and that I was going to train my dogs to walk nicely together. But now I wish I had made the plunge sooner, I'd rate it 10/10 quite honestly. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 11:09 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
Link is 46 pounds and my largest dog.. and my strongest puller. The only thing his old owners could use on him was a gentle leader, give him a normal collar and he would be a freight train. (Edit, and I refused to use the gentle leader on him, so I was using a normal collar and a chain martingale. Even with the chain martingale he still pulled horribly). With the WYDWL I can not only walk him, but the other two at the same time. I'd say it cut his power by 3/4. Plus its so adjustable it gives him a really nice fit so he can't slip out of it. At first, I was skeptical. I told myself I didn't want a front pulling harness and that I was going to train my dogs to walk nicely together. But now I wish I had made the plunge sooner, I'd rate it 10/10 quite honestly. Very Happy

Wow, that sounds really great! Cutting 3/4 of power sounds like more than enough lol. Lycus is an EXTREMELY STRONG puller. I am the only one in my family that can walk him and that will walk him really because of that lol. I'm sure I've grown quite a few arm muscles from him lol!

But anyways, thanks so much for the review, it was very helpful. I can't wait to purchase this and hope for some good results! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 11:18 pm

Rocio_Caballero wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:

Wow, that sounds really great! Cutting 3/4 of power sounds like more than enough lol. Lycus is an EXTREMELY STRONG puller. I am the only one in my family that can walk him and that will walk him really because of that lol. I'm sure I've grown quite a few arm muscles from him lol!

But anyways, thanks so much for the review, it was very helpful. I can't wait to purchase this and hope for some good results! Smile

It could also be though that they never tried a front-pulling harness on Link and that its new to him, so he wasn't quite sure what to do. But he feels it pull to the side and he stops pulling. Definitely let me know how it works for you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
carlsaturn
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 8:32 pm

yeah- I've just ordered the walk your dog with love leash too! cant wait till it gets here.Mortisha pulls sooo bad. and only 7months old! nothing so far has worked. not leashes or training. I've owned 2 other husky's and she is the most stubborn one of them all. ill let everyone know what happens. I know the pulling can get very frustrating.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 10:19 pm

I notice giving loki a short slack to force him to heel. I walk faster and when I swing my arms he kind of gets into walking mode. If he pulls or gets excited I stop walking as well.

I tried gentle leader on my shepherd mix and did not like it. Age mostly stopped her from pulling.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 8:53 am

I showed Sabaka the proper "heel" position by holding a frozen cheese stick at my side for him to nibble as he walked. As he ate the treat, I would praise him with "good heel" or whatever word you choose to mean proper walking position. Using intermittent treats were not working for him since he would walk nicely long enough to be given a treat and then lunge ahead. I made him stop and sit whenever his pulling was out of hand. We also sometimes trained wearing a prong collar (like when going to walk at a busy park, going to the soccer sidelines, going to the vet...places where nosey, ADHD puppies cannot seem to refrain from poor behavior...). We now prefer to walk him always in a harness.
Back to top Go down
TheMightyQuinn
Newborn
Newborn
TheMightyQuinn

Female Join date : 2013-09-23

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 12:49 am

I taught my Husky to not pull by teaching her to heel. Many may object, but the easiest and in my opinion less painful way was a pinch collar. choke collars, the person controls the correction. In a pinch your dog actually controls their own correction.

When your dog pulls move your body in an opposite direction. DO NOT yank or pull with your arms. Keep your arms in towards your center and move your BODY. Not pulling on the collar or leash with your hands. When we first started learning I swear my neighbors thought I was crazy. I wouldn't allow pulling at all, constantly doing an about turn and going in the opposite direction if she pulled. In the early days there were many, many "walks" where we never left our own street, just kept about turning over and over to control the pulling.

This teaches your dog to pay attention to YOU. their focused on your body movements and looking to you to tell them where they're going next.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 2:52 am

I also used a prong collar. Sheba is all of 32 pounds and a powerhouse puller. She was also very reactive because she had been attacked by off leash dogs as an older puppy. We tried it all; regular collar, half check collar, martingale collar, front clip harness, back clip harness, and harnesses that attached in the front and the back. I refused to use a choke collar, so my trainer suggested the prong.

Immediently there was a difference. I taught Sheba to look at me and I treated her as soon as she looked at me when I called her name. By doing that, she was more focused on looking at me then pulling ahead. I also held her in the heel position and kept my arm rock solid in one place so she learned when she pulled, SHE was giving herself the correction.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
TheMightyQuinn
Newborn
Newborn
TheMightyQuinn

Female Join date : 2013-09-23

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 9:31 am

Perfect Sheba&Kennedy!! It's important they know it's them causing the correction. Soooo many people told me if never get a nicely heeling Husky and I'd never get eye contact. We compete in obedience and heeling is our best exercise Smile. Judges are usually shocked hahaha
Back to top Go down
seanbrunett
Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

Male Join date : 2013-05-13

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 7:11 pm

Mobezilla wrote:

I bought the Walk Your Dog With Love harness because I saw that you recommended it. It only arrived yesterday, but I have to say that it has been amazing thus far. Kai is still a pup (5.5 months), so she's not the best on a leash and is prone to pulling. The harness has already seemed to helped correct this behavior and she no longer pulls to the point of choking herself when she sees other dogs ahead (despite my attempts to get her to heel lol).

She hates when I put it on, but she'll get used to it when we do it everyday. So thank you for recommending this product, we love it!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 10:33 pm

seanbrunett wrote:

Mobezilla wrote:

I bought the Walk Your Dog With Love harness because I saw that you recommended it. It only arrived yesterday, but I have to say that it has been amazing thus far. Kai is still a pup (5.5 months), so she's not the best on a leash and is prone to pulling. The harness has already seemed to helped correct this behavior and she no longer pulls to the point of choking herself when she sees other dogs ahead (despite my attempts to get her to heel lol).

She hates when I put it on, but she'll get used to it when we do it everyday. So thank you for recommending this product, we love it!
Awesome! My pups are still doing good in it too. It was extremely useful when I took Yuki out biking because I didn't want her to pull since shes not 18 months yet, and since she had her WYDWL harness on she knew the difference through our training and didn't try to pull Very Happy I love it when my efforts pay off ^-^
Back to top Go down
Swtbby8998
Newborn
Newborn
Swtbby8998

Female Join date : 2013-10-11

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 1:40 pm

The only thing that would work for melody is the marquee collar and harti combo. I had a trainer work with her for 6 weeks and it is the ONLY thing that worked for her! shes 11 months old and its still the only thing that works as soon as it comes off she pulls.
Back to top Go down
BeBopBandit
Newborn
Newborn
BeBopBandit

Male Join date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 6:07 pm

we use a leash that wraps around his mid-section, so whenever he pulls it tightens around his tummy. it doesn't hurt him, but he doesn't like it. its really helped. at first we had to use it all the time but now I only wrap it around him when he's misbehaving on a walk, and then he straightens up pretty quickly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop my husk from pulling?   How do I stop my husk from pulling? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do I stop my husk from pulling?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1