It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Aggressive Guarding/Biting

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gio'sGrandma
Newborn
Newborn

Aggressive Guarding/Biting Empty
PostSubject: Aggressive Guarding/Biting   Aggressive Guarding/Biting EmptyMon May 27, 2013 8:49 pm

My 19 year old son decided to purchase a Husky puppy without doing much research. Unfortunately he probably didn't get the dog from a very reputable breeder, as she sold him prior to 6 weeks of age. A few weeks after getting the puppy, my son accepted admission to an out-of-state college for this upcoming Fall. He cannot take the dog with him since he has to live on-campus and I cannot take the dog since we have an unfenced yard and other animals already. It is an unfortunate situation, but I had hopes that we could easily find the puppy a new home since he is still young and obviously very bright. Unfortunately, two families have already taken him and given him back due to growling/biting. We are not talking about puppy nipping. This is aggression around his food, or biting hard enough to break the skin when an item is taken from him. I'm writing to get the opinion of people who have experience with huskies because I spoke with someone today at our vets office, and when she asked how old the dog was and I said not quite 4 months she told me that is NOT GOOD....neutering him will NOT solve the problem, and aggressive behavior like this canNOT be trained out of a husky, only MANAGED by an experienced husky owner who knows what they are doing. She also said he should NOT be in a home with small children. I know he is a smart dog because my son has already taught him to sit and lie down, and he and his brother have been working with him the last few days to de-sensitize him to accepting human interaction while he is eating. One son actually put the bowl of food between his legs while both of them stroked him on his body and on his head and around his face while he ate. The dog was tense at first and started to bare his teeth, but did not growl or bite. Of course this has been very emotionally difficult on my son because he does not want to give up the dog...so sending him to other families and then having to take him back has not been easy...and I'm sure its not been easy on the puppy either. Basically I need to know if what the vet assistant said is accurate--that he will always be an aggressive dog?
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive Guarding/Biting   Aggressive Guarding/Biting EmptyMon May 27, 2013 9:58 pm

I'm definitely no expert but i would say noticing his issues or food aggression now is a good thing for the pup. I feel its easier to train the behaviors out now rather then in years from now. I dont agree with the vet assistant at all i think you could train it out of him but a big part of your problem may be that he is so young and has been passed around. I agree that he shouldnt be in a house with young children because they like to grab things and taking away something could cause a biting accident. He may have a more dominant personality that needs to be controlled properly. Huskies are one dog that you cant let be the boss so to speak and by passing him around he is confused and does not know who is his leader. Sounds like your boys are doing good on working on desensitising him so far they need to keep it up and a decision needs to be made on where they pup will be, staying with you while he is away or finding a new home. If the pup has to haveca new home make it clear that the food aggression and aggression with taking things from him are presenting to be an issue with him i wouldnt rehome with a young child either.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive Guarding/Biting   Aggressive Guarding/Biting EmptyMon May 27, 2013 11:58 pm

I think you need to get in contact with a breed specific rescue and allow them to give him the training he needs.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive Guarding/Biting   Aggressive Guarding/Biting EmptyTue May 28, 2013 12:05 am

His behavior sounds like it stems from the instability in his life. I'm sure with a consistent home and with training and dedication, he will be an amazing dog. He needs a stable environment with positive reinforcement training, whether that be with you, or someone else. Food and resource guarding can definitely be curbed.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive Guarding/Biting   Aggressive Guarding/Biting EmptyTue May 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Yes I agree with Brooke. Food aggression can definitely be trained out, especially since he is so young, BUT if not done properly, the guarding could get a whole lot worse, since he is so young. I think finding a rescue that deals with huskies is the best way to go as well. They can hopefully, put him in a stable foster home that can work with him on his issues, and then find a forever home for the little guy.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive Guarding/Biting   Aggressive Guarding/Biting EmptyTue May 28, 2013 12:42 pm

Where are you located? A lot of members here volunteer or are familiar with rescues all over, and may be able to connect you with one. Smile
Back to top Go down
Gio'sGrandma
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive Guarding/Biting   Aggressive Guarding/Biting EmptyTue May 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Thanks to everyone for your feedback! I really appreciate your time. We are located in Staunton, VA. It's a small town--I have no idea where the closest Husky Rescue would be to where we live, but I definitely want to advise my son to do the responsible thing for this doggie.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive Guarding/Biting   Aggressive Guarding/Biting EmptyTue May 28, 2013 6:41 pm

I'm quasi near you, just north of Annapolis. I work for Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue, and while we don't normally take dogs from VA (we do MD, DE, NJ, and eastern PA), but I can ask around and see if anyone has any references for VA folks. Give me a little while, and I'll try to get an answer for you tonight.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Aggressive Guarding/Biting 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
dibiaso
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive Guarding/Biting   Aggressive Guarding/Biting EmptyTue May 28, 2013 8:04 pm

If you contact me privately at info@siberianhuskyrescue.org we may be able to help but I need to be able speak to you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive Guarding/Biting   Aggressive Guarding/Biting Empty

Back to top Go down

Aggressive Guarding/Biting

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1