It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Chelsii
Puppy
Puppy
Chelsii

Female Join date : 2013-03-17

The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 4:01 pm

Tankthehusky wrote:
One day I got on my bike, put a harness on my dog and let him do what he does best; run. I'm not talking about running at a dog park or sprinting with your dog down the street, when my dog runs while hooked to my bike he's a whole different dog. My dog does what I call the "double hop" which is when he's running the fastest, for about five miles a day. I don't pedal at all. He even pulls me up steep hills on his own. When there's a turn put the brakes on a bit and loudly and firmly either yell tank stop, tank left, or tank right. ( this can be trained with treats) I know when tank is ready to be done because he slows down drastically And let's me lead him home.

I'm new here and I don't have my husky yet, so please take what I say with a grain of salt!

It sounds like the activity that was originally explained is bike jorring! Huskies are by nature bred to pull, so jorring is still an excellent way to give them exercise (when they are old enough, of course! Don't try it with a puppy,).

If there's not already a post on it, I might start one on Jorring! I plan on Jorring with my baby when he's old enough. Smile You can use roller blades, bikes or even what I refer to as a land sled (I think they call it a "cart").

If you're in a really hot place like me (FL), jorring is probably best done during their peak activity times (dawn and dusk) because that's also when it's the coolest out. Smile

Hope that was a little helpful!
Back to top Go down
HKxC
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 8:02 pm

Reviving the thread a little - I've heard from other dog trainers and owners that I shouldn't be running on the cement at all because it'll affect my pup's bone growth until she reaches a proper size/age. Just wanted to know your thoughts and experiences - whether I should wait until my pup hits a certain age or size before I can run in the cement with her (there aren't too many areas with grass around my house when just taking her out around the area).

I've also heard that getting a treadmill for them works (especially in the summer months when being outdoors is harder for them) but not sure how I would get her to start on it if I were to get one.

Any insights would be appreciated!
Back to top Go down
jennmreeves
Newborn
Newborn
jennmreeves

Female Join date : 2013-04-01

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 4:49 am

I would like to hear everyones thoughts on how old your husky should be when you start to let them run beside you or on front of you when you are riding a bike. The reason I ask is because I would like to get a foot powered scooter or a bike so that I may do this with my 4 month old husky. But I am always afraid that maybe she will get tangled up and might get hurt.

On the topic of Ceaser. I did alot of husky homework before getting a husky. I am overweight and think that it will be so great to have an active dog so that it basicly makes me get up and take walks and be more active. For about a few months before getting my sweet new little girl I was looking into getting a tamaskin dog that is basicly a cross breed between a husky, malamute, german sheppard, and utongan. But that was just for a couple of months compaired to the many years that I have loved and did my homework on the husky breed before getting a husky. I have watched many dog whisperer episodes and I pick and choose what I want to use. There are some things that I see him do and think that it will never work on my Meeka. But then there are some things that I do that I have seen on the show. At 4 months old my husky sits (only when there is a treat), go into her crate without a fight, come when called, take a bath without fighting me, and stay in her crate without crying, howling, or barking. The bath thing is a new one for me but I have never done anything to reward her for being calm when getting a bath other than the fact that I do give her a bath once a month and sometimes 2 times a month depending on how dirty she gets.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 12:57 pm

@Jennifer

(Sorry, a bit off topic_

I see you live in Springfield, MO! I'm actually from MO even though I live in MS for grad school right now. I spent my first two years of college studying architecture at Drury so I lived in Springfield for a while. I changed my major a few times since then so now I'm a geologist, but I still love architecture!

I think Huskymom posted in another thread that you should limit activity to 5 min per month of age since as a puppy they are still in the formative stages and you don't want to injure them or do something to cause them to grow incorrectly. I'd say at 4 months she's still too young for a bike.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 3:21 pm

4 months is WAY too young for biking or rollerblading with a puppy. Puppies shouldn't do any sort of structured running until they're at least a year old, otherwise you run a big risk of damaging their growing joints.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 3 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
jennmreeves
Newborn
Newborn
jennmreeves

Female Join date : 2013-04-01

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Alright thank you for the advice. Cavingsiberian that is cool that there is someone that was here. I hear that there is a new dog park that just opened here, but the whole thing about that is they want you to pay just to have access to the park and I think that is retarded. They do enforce that your dog be caught up on all of their shots and for that I am thankful. It seems that if I take her to a park here then I run the risk of them being exposed to other dogs that do not have their shots. But to take her to the dog park then I have to pay.

I have been told and for awhile thought (because I was told alot) that I am over protective of her. I don't like for her to be around other people unless I can control the situation. I think that all stems from the day that I got her there was a pet shop worker that told me that there are alot of dogs that are being "doggy napped" and that all of the dogs are purebreds. Plus I think if strange children are around her then she might get hurt because I have alot of neighbors that allow their kids to play with actual weapons like guns. Before I start thinking about leaving her unattended for short periods of time in the back yard I want a security camera system set up. I do not like for her to be around any grass that looks like it has not been mowed in over 2 weeks. Last year my sister had her dog die because of some disease it caught by a tick. I now also like to get advice before I do anything big with her like biking. I would love to do it with her but I just do not want her hurt in any way. I would feel so horrible if something happened to her.

As it stands she is like the diva in the house. She has almost as much toys as my kids do. She has her little princess bed and anything else that she would ever want. Now I have family coming in June. She knows little tricks like sit and lay but she only does it when it is a benefit to her and there are no distractions. She is doing very well on her potty training. In the last 2 weeks she has had only one accident on the carpet. For that I am so happy. I would at the least like for her to not jump on my guests. I don't mind if she jumps on me, but I do not want to give her mixed messages.
Back to top Go down
Hsix
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 05, 2015 12:32 pm

Let your husky be a husky ,
If its a trained labrador you expect or want get a lab ,
huskys walk in front they can pull sleds from the side .

Short leads and belts will make your husky pull to check out sniffs get. Modern extending lead and cut your dog some slack , walks will be more relaxed and dog happy .

Haltis , slip collars and fight collars are evil huskys pull they won't stop cause it hurts
Famously Cori. Scott of Antarctic fame thought he could slow sibes down by increasing their loads he killed over 100
Dogs that just wanted to pull and is the reason he wouldn't take them on his doomed expedition that amundsen completed using lightly loaded sibes .

Work around your huskys needs it will be easier and result in mutual understanding this does not mean you allow it to run riot you are it's extra eyes and ears for roads and dangerous stuff .

Dog training books and videos are no alternative to just spending time watching and listening to your dog ,
But do it without influence of bias found in training manuals which no two could agree on a single technique
That's why there's as many trainers and books as there is dogs almost ,
Know your dog is golden rule not some persons ideas sold in a book or video .

A well excorcised dog is a content dog what might be considered a long walk to you might be an easy stroll to a husky
My rule of thumb is 10 mile a day this can be spread over 3 walks ,
And there's always somewhere safe to let your dog run off lead it's just a matter of looking for it .

Do t expect an high energy dog that likes running to spend it's life at the end on a 7 ft lead on a walking belt walking at 3mph for 4 miles to be satisfied and content get over this old school ideology watch your dog transform into a calm
Relaxed animal be ready to adapt walks and where you walk huskys aren't so great with same old route every day and some like woodland walks (through the woods not along the path that's boring )
Others like long grass to hunt mice .
Let your dog tell you what IT wants and drop this all about the owners needs stuff .

I've got 8 huskies at the moment and have had huskies all my life been there done the training manual rubbish it was like herding cats ,
Then I decided to take opposite approach and let my dogs teach me it worked ppl comment on how well behaved my dogs are and ask what's the secret , no secret dogs do what they want when they want and in Return respect me when ask that of them I do t shout cmds every five minutes or pull them abt lure Tenn with treats etc I let them sniff I let them walk ahead it's the elephant in the room folks .

Back to top Go down
Amelia Barthow
Newborn
Newborn
Amelia Barthow

PostSubject: Training a husky to run besides a bike   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 10:34 pm

Hello, I'm new to the forum and have just recently got a 7month old husky who lived in a cage his whole life until we got him. He hasn't been exposed to many things like cars, scooters and in particular bikes so he's very skittish around them!
My dream is to train him to run next to my bike as I live in an area where I could ride/ run with him. I have tried getting him used to the bike by using treats and placing them on the bike to get etc... It's a SLOW process.

I have a few questions, the first is once he is used to the bike how do I actually train him to run and not pull me over/ run to other dogs or get scared etc.
And how do I know when to start the training so I set him up for success?
Would love to hear back from anyone with advice and he has been a real challenge to deal with.
Back to top Go down
Kiriana
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 1:10 pm

Thank you for posting this. I just adopted an 8 week old husky pup, and she's a handful! I have a 3 year old border collie mix. He's very obedient and well trained, so I've been going through an adjustment period of realizing she's never going to be as responsive and obedient as him. It's been causing me a lot of stress and worry about her being a nightmare when she gets older. But your post gives me hope. My training, plus wearing her out, will make her the good dog I hope she will be. I know she'll never be like my border collie mix, but as long as she's not a complete terror I can be happy with that.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 1:17 pm

Welcome to the forum Kiriana.....let me say this....huskies are as smart if not smarter than any breed out there. It is because they are free spirited, independent, and stubborn that make them appear less obedient or less smart. Perhaps training him like you did with your border collie mix, and you may get similar results, they are adaptable, just not people pleasers, they please themselves first, as in what's in it for me, so if you know what type of reward will work best for your husky, they are apt to learn the way you want them to learn. Good luck, huskies are such a great breed. Smile
Back to top Go down
Nonnahikes
Newborn
Newborn
Nonnahikes

Female Join date : 2018-01-28

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 10:25 am

I have to agree with exercise. I learned that here and have noticed with Enzo (4 months) that walking him 3 times a day(physical) and daily traning exercises (mental) Keeps Enzo and us humans pretty happy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nonnahikes.com
kocola
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2018 5:48 pm

I'm new to this post, so I just searched training and of course your post caught my eye. Not realizing how old the post was. But still very helpful. I have two huskies, boy and a girl. They are both 4 mos old(bro/sis). They just finished all their shots and we cannot wait to take them out to the real world. I know they cant wait either. So I wanted to get some pointers on starting the exercise phase. We haven't brought them out past our backyard, which is now starting to seem small to them now. I have noticed some behavior from them, especially the boy who seems to want to chew on things more than the girl. But I noticed the boy will listen more than the girl, who is the stubborn one. Reading your post, I'm hoping the exercise will calm and control them both. I also liked how you gave a commend and waited till he came forth to go outside. Awesome. Do you have any current pointers to give, I would love to hear them. Thanks
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 13, 2018 10:44 am

If you have a chewer that likes to pick things up. Make sure you start training leave it and drop it sooner rather than later. Once you start walking out in other places where other people have been you may have a dog that will pick up everything you don't want him to, like cigarette butts and plastic wrappers people are too lazy to put in the trash. Just figure up how much time you can go. As stated above, 5 minutes per month of age and do that a couple times a day on soft surfaces like grass and dirt. Concrete is hard on joints so I would limit my time on it as much as possible.

Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2019-11-27

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 13, 2019 9:04 am

i do give my dog the room to run with a 15' retractable leash when i walk him.also work on heel and sit for part of the walk. he love to sniff thing. Lately I have been adding gee and ha as we turn right or left on our walk. when i get ready to have him start pulling me on a kick scooter will he still what to stop and sniff everything. mark ever thing. how would i break him of that?

Hsix wrote:
Let your husky be a husky ,
If its a trained labrador you expect or want get a lab ,
huskys walk in front they can pull sleds from the side .

Short leads and belts will make your husky pull to check out sniffs get. Modern extending lead and cut your dog some slack , walks will be more relaxed and dog happy .

Haltis , slip collars and fight collars are evil huskys pull they won't stop cause it hurts
Famously Cori. Scott of Antarctic fame thought he could slow sibes down by increasing their loads he killed over 100
Dogs that just wanted to pull and is the reason he wouldn't take them on his doomed expedition that amundsen completed using lightly loaded sibes .

Work around your huskys needs it will be easier and result in mutual understanding this does not mean you allow it to run riot you are it's extra eyes and ears for roads and dangerous stuff .

Dog training books and videos are no alternative to just spending time watching and listening to your dog ,
But do it without influence of bias found in training manuals which no two could agree on a single technique
That's why there's as many trainers and books as there is dogs almost ,
Know your dog is golden rule not some persons ideas sold in a book or video .

A well excorcised dog is a content dog what might be considered a long walk to you might be an easy stroll to a husky
My rule of thumb is 10 mile a day this can be spread over 3 walks ,
And there's always somewhere safe to let your dog run off lead it's just a matter of looking for it .

Do t expect an high energy dog  that likes running to spend it's life at the end on a 7 ft lead on a walking belt walking at 3mph for 4 miles to be satisfied and content  get over this old school ideology watch your dog transform into a calm
Relaxed animal be ready to adapt walks and where you walk huskys aren't so great with same old route every day and some like woodland walks (through the woods not along the path that's boring )
Others like long grass to hunt mice .
Let your  dog tell you what IT wants and drop this all about the owners needs  stuff .

I've got 8 huskies at the moment and have had huskies all my life been there done the training manual rubbish it was like herding cats ,
Then I decided to take opposite approach and let my dogs teach me it worked ppl comment on how well behaved my dogs are and ask what's the secret , no secret dogs do what they want when they want and in  Return respect me when ask that of them I do t shout cmds every five minutes or pull them abt lure Tenn with treats etc I let them sniff I let them walk ahead it's  the elephant in the room folks .

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...   The secret to the most well behaved huskies is... - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The secret to the most well behaved huskies is...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3