It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Advise on Moving

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jayrowe
Newborn
Newborn
jayrowe

Advise on Moving Empty
PostSubject: Advise on Moving   Advise on Moving EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Hi All,
I’m hoping someone can offer us some advice on moving. We just moved into our new place which is only about ½ a mile from where we used to live. The 1st week was fine but the past two weeks our 6 year old, Gus, has started not listening when he’s outside. Especially when it’s time to come in. He completely ignores us when we call him and we usually have to get his leash out then he’ll come and we give him a short walk down the driveway. We’ve tried luring him with snacks and treats but that doesn’t seem to work any longer. We owned the house a while before we moved in and spent a considerable amount of time there doing renovations which Gus was there with me most of that time. So it’s not a completely new environment. Once he’s inside he’s fine and is very obedient it’s just the part of getting him to come in. He’s also fine when he’s at the office with me which he’s been coming to for years as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Advise on Moving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advise on Moving   Advise on Moving EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 6:43 pm

That definitely sounds like a husky trait. Wink They are very stubborn and don't like to listen. I can't believe he's 6 and is stubborn!

He probably likes being outside! My husky is a pain about getting inside sometimes. I lure her in with bones and bully sticks. Sometimes I'll walk away from the door but I'll watch her through a different window. You just have to be creative with it.

Is he food motivated? Maybe you could move some pots and pans around to make him think that you're cooking dinner!

Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

Advise on Moving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advise on Moving   Advise on Moving EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Anytime I wanted Shaqua to come inside when she was younger she wouldn't. As soon as I pretended that I didn't care if she came inside or not she wanted in. Ha ha. The sound of food bags also works (eg chip bags)
Back to top Go down
jayrowe
Newborn
Newborn
jayrowe

Advise on Moving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advise on Moving   Advise on Moving EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 8:40 pm

Thats one of our challenges is that he's not at all food motivated. He likes steak but it's had to have that availible everyday. He wasn't that stubburn at the old place, and he's fine once inside. Just a challenge to get him there. My main concern is that he would want to try and go back to the other house. The yard is fenced, but you know huskies.....
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Advise on Moving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advise on Moving   Advise on Moving EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 1:18 pm

We finally bought a house and will be moving around christmas. The house is only about a quarter mile from our current home. While I'm not worried about having a relapse in training for Kenzi at all, I am worried about the close proximity to the old home being confusing for her. She will still be seeing the old house every day on our walk and she very much identifies it as home. Anytime she has gotten loose she always returns to the front yard and she guards it vehemently. Being an extremely dominant dog I know she will claim the new home as hers immediately but getting the new house from simply her territory to being her home is where I draw short. Has anyone else had issues with moving short distances?

Newborn
Newborn
jayrowe

Advise on Moving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advise on Moving   Advise on Moving EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 2:58 pm

It took a couple of weeks but our male finally settled down an is back to normal. We also drive by the old house about once a day and I was afraid he would stare out the window yearning to be back there but it doesn't seem to phase him the least bit. He also gets walks past there about once a week and doesn't seem to care at all.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Advise on Moving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advise on Moving   Advise on Moving EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 3:01 pm

That's good to hear. I think Kenzi will like the new house tons more than the old one and was hoping that would sway her to the new house in the end. She will go from a 20'x20' yard only worth using for a toilet, to a full acre so that has to be worth calling home. Glad to hear your guy has settled in.

Newborn
Newborn
MyDoppler

Male Join date : 2013-10-16

Advise on Moving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advise on Moving   Advise on Moving EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 2:35 am

Twister we don't have experience but my cousin does, its just two streets away and their boxer still able to get out and stay on the yard of their old house. What they tried is to walk around without passing by the old house, glad they have other routines to take. Its been two months now and he doesn't tried to escape going to old house.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Advise on Moving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advise on Moving   Advise on Moving Empty

Back to top Go down

Advise on Moving

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1