It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: /!PANIC MOMENT/!   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Today Lucifer shook on a walk, nothing unusual, but his Swedish snap suddenly POPPED off. So, we approached calmly and WOOSH husky gone. I am ANGRY my leash failed nad even MORE angry at the 7 people he RAN UP TO and sat down by for not grabbing him, we were screaming so loud i now have a sore throat and my husband almost went into cardiac arrest. Normal snaps failed and NOW a swedish snap. The ONLY reason we caught our husky was he came running back to my husband when he collapsed.
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 10:46 pm

Wow so glad you caught him!!
Similiar instance my roomate mowed and didn't close the gate(he says he did)
Let the dog out and didn't see him for a minute went around and he was gone. Luckily he came back when I called it's raining and dark
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 10:49 pm

Yeah after looking 'round im buying  ruff wear's knot-a-leash with the locking mechanizm. I'm angry more at the people who could've grabbed them and the leash.
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 10:50 pm

People have no sense......
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 10:55 pm

People are afraid to grab a dog they don't know, they don't know if the dog will bite.  Now if it were me, a dog person, I would attempt to stop the dog.
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 11:17 pm

I understand but still I'm more angry at the leash manufacturers than anything.
Back to top Go down
prince04
Newborn
Newborn
prince04

Male Join date : 2013-01-30

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 11:38 pm

Yes, apparently some manufacturers do not really much care about the quality of their collars and leash. Sad

Sadly I have broken 4 collars already.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 12:24 am

Have you considered this?

http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/344554/catid/511/vname/Mendota_British_Slip_Leads_half_inch_x_six

I swear by slip leads.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 1:06 am

Slip lead or a ruffwear collar are ur best option, I learned it pays to buy the good stuff first! Glad u got your boy back

Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 1:13 am

So sorry you are having issues. I have never had a case of any of my collars or leashes breaking Sad I would either look into the ruffwear one or as Megan said, perhaps go for a slip lead. You could also try strengthening a leash by replacing the regular snap with a small locking carabiner.
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 1:23 am

Good call on that ruffwear leash, it is the one I use and has never failed. People can be ridiculous sometimes, the one time my husky Freya got loose she ran up to some people and I even shouted "can you grab her please?"...Nobody did but luckily she came back right away.
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 1:44 am

Yeah, it scared me, my voice was cracking and i was crying, We're looking into both, I'm terrified of loosing him.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 2:49 am

I keep a white pine collar on mine at all times for all their tags. Slip leads are for walking, harnesses for joring and nylon show leads for exhibiting.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 11:25 am

I'm sorry that this happened to you! I hate this feeling. It has happened to me before, and I was just running down the street yelling at people that he is friendly and to just grab his collar and I will be right there. Luckily, I actually had a nice person listen and all ended well and I'm glad it did for you too. I also use the knot-a-leash from ruffwear, and it just gives you such a piece of mind. Well worth the money!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 12:36 pm

WolvenSight wrote:
Good call on that ruffwear leash, it is the one I use and has never failed. People can be ridiculous sometimes, the one time my husky Freya got loose she ran up to some people and I even shouted "can you grab her please?"...Nobody did but luckily she came back right away.

+1

I also use the Ruffwear Knot-A-Leash.  The locking mechanism is really stout!  The rope is also very durable.  It also has reflective fabric weaved into the lead. Smile It definitely has your Sibe's protection as the #1 concern.
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Yeah now the problem is getting the money, but I woke up in pure panic this morning only to find my husky laying by my face, letting me cuddle him. I can't fathom loosing him.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 2:09 pm

You could try finding a slip lead first and just save up for ruff wear, as its more expensive. That way you have piece of mind.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Would it be possible to remove the hook that is on the leash and put a carabiner through the same loop? Kind of making your own?
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 2:22 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
Would it be possible to remove the hook that is on the leash and put a carabiner through the same loop? Kind of making your own?
That's also what I suggested by replacing the snap with a small locking carabiner.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 2:25 pm

Whoops, sorry. Missed that. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 2:29 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
Whoops, sorry. Missed that. Embarassed
No problem, I was just also thinking the same thing. If my snaps ever failed me I'd probably just replace them as I love my leash colors and designs xP
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 2:41 pm

i dunno i might have to cut the snap at the metal base to do that, either way Ruffwear seems to have the dogs best interests in mind
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 2:44 pm

I actually think I might do that with a lupine leash I have. Dizzy was playing with another dog the other day and somehow his leash got hooked on the other dog's collar. Then once its just came off altogether. I haven't used it since.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 2:45 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
I actually think I might do that with a lupine leash I have. Dizzy was playing with another dog the other day and somehow his leash got hooked on the other dog's collar. Then once its just came off altogether. I haven't used it since.
Oh no! Is it the swedish snap type hooks? I'm actually planning on ordering those collars with the 2ft leashes so this is helpful to know :0
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 2:52 pm

I got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PNK5L0/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and that's the one I had come off twice. I love, love, love their collars though. 

http://www.amazon.com/review/R30QJMX9DHEZ0P/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R30QJMX9DHEZ0P

that review is pretty much exactly what happened to me, but I don't use a gentle leader, i have a lupine martingale collar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty
PostSubject: Re: /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\   /!\PANIC MOMENT/!\ Empty

Back to top Go down

/!\PANIC MOMENT/!\

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next