It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AngelCocoaPup
Newborn
Newborn
AngelCocoaPup

Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? Empty
PostSubject: Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks?   Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 6:11 pm

Since my mom got Angel, I've been wondering about her eyes.  They're not blue, really, but gray with a slight touch of green. I think they look pretty awesome!  Both her parents have blue-white eyes, so I'm guessing it's recessive to that at least.  I haven't found much on green eyes in huskies, neither at http://www.huskycolors.com nor http://www.doggenetics.co.uk.  

I was wondering if any of you know of possible genetic explanations for Angel's eye color.  I looked at the dogs here and those that had grayish-greenish eyes like her also had red and white coats or at least liver points. Here's some pictures of her for reference:

Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? Photo0094_zps507902f0

Angel with her favorite toy. It has had to be washed already. Smile
Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? 20130609_201709_zps056e8cf6

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks?   Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm a genetics geek (teach it at the college level), but not well versed specifically in huskies. With that said, I would venture that the color is being diluted by the same gene that makes her red.  (At least, that's what happens with eye color in chocolate labs, which is caused by the same gene)
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks?   Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 6:20 pm

The red gene dilutes the eye color.

Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks?   Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 6:25 pm

Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? 8467_432337833541049_1966075_n

My girls breeder and a few other people were talking about my girls eyes because when she was registered and sold to me her breeder said her eyes would go to brown/amber. Her breeder finds her eye color right now very fascinating and so lots of people are waiting to see if her eyes stay this way or if they do eventually transition over to the brown/amber.

She's genetically a "KB".

Back to top Go down
AngelCocoaPup
Newborn
Newborn
AngelCocoaPup

PostSubject: Re: Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks?   Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 7:34 pm

Neat. I had a feeling that the red gene was involved. I read that brown is diluted to amber, so is that what you mean?

Angel is just over 10 weeks old and her eyes don't have any amber at the moment, but we'll watch them over the next few months.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks?   Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Mechta is just six months so. We shall see!

Mechta is registered red/white brown eyes so I'm unsure if it is always diluted to amber or if there is other things at work. Eye color is stupid hard to figure. I can ask my breeder though and hopefully she can give me some insight,

Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks?   Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Ceara, is that the pup from the litter whose sire is KK black? (or maybe it was an older sibling? I can't remember) I wonder how/if the K allele plays a role with her eye color. If your breeder has any insight, can you please post what she says? I think it's fascinating!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks?   Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Mechta's sire is a dominant "KB" (Same as Mechta - just black) - It's the litter you're thinking of. His name is Onyx (Boreayl's After Dark - I'll post a picture)

Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? 922738_10201249094176523_201833691_n

Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks?   Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 pm

They might end being like my Loki's eye color.(see pic in sig)
Back to top Go down
AngelCocoaPup
Newborn
Newborn
AngelCocoaPup

PostSubject: Re: Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks?   Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 1:12 am

Jason: Very cool. Were they lighter when he was a puppy?

Ceara, that's nice of you to get in touch with your breeder. I'm was thinking the same thing about something else at work. It's a fascinating mystery!
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks?   Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 1:57 pm

I think they might have been.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks?   Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 6:00 pm

After seeing her in person, she really looks so much like him. I think once she fills out and gets her coat in, she's going to blow everybody away! How old is her sire in that pic? I'm wondering if she is just going to take a little longer to mature.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks?   Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 6:39 pm

I'm not totally sure how old he is in the picture - I think around 2.  Both sides of her pedigree mature so slow.  I was informed she's going to hold onto her current puppy coat until she's like a year and a half. She probably won't even see the inside of a ring until she's close to three maybe four.

I did talk to her breeder a bit and she said she doesn't know if KB has any interaction with the genes that determine eye color.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks?   Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any Fellow Husky Genetics Geeks?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1