It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

potty training bell question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
holister
Newborn
Newborn
holister

Male Join date : 2013-04-05

training - potty training bell question Empty
PostSubject: potty training bell question   training - potty training bell question EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 7:52 pm

for those of you who use the bells for potty training, when do you ring the bell.

Do you ring the bell to get your dog to come to the door? or do you ring your bell after the leash is on and as you open the door?

trying to learn the most effective way of using the bells to teach Dallas Smile
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: potty training bell question   training - potty training bell question EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 8:06 pm

I dont use the bells but am considering it, i believe you are supposed to ring it when you get to the door to take them out so they notice that as their time for out signal. Let us know how it works out, my pups dont give signals for out just a certain body language and you cant have eyes on them at all times to see it.
Back to top Go down
holister
Newborn
Newborn
holister

PostSubject: Re: potty training bell question   training - potty training bell question EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 8:10 pm

Thanks I will share my updates, so far I do both I ring it to get his attention and then ring it again as were leaving and tell him "outside" Our husky gives us no body language the only thing we know for sure is when he is up from his nap he immediately goes pee, but thats it lol....hoping the bells work for us
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: potty training bell question   training - potty training bell question EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 8:11 pm

The general idea is to teach your dog to ring the bell so that you can come and open the door, so you don't want to ring it to get the dog to come to the door.  

Remember, the dog is not going to be responding to the bell, you will be.  So you kinda have to set it up, or fake it, if you will.  The bell cues you, not your dog.

It is best to set the bell up with the dog not around because you'll never get him to leave it alone.  Once it's set up, just hang around the door. He will eventually come, and when he sees the bell, wait for him to touch it and ring it.  

Once he does, excitedly praise him and get your keys, shoes, leash, bags...and then open the door and go out with him.  

Repeat, repeat, repeat.  

The most difficult challenge with this is teaching him that it is not a toy and shouldn't be used just for amusement.  That said, it takes an extraordinary amount of patience and consistency from you because whenever he rings it, you need to go out with him.  You should only reward him outside when he pees/poops.  You don't want him to think bell = outside, you want him to think bell = pee/poop.  

This is best to do on your day off when you have a lot of time.

Repeat, repeat, repeat.  It is tough to get them to take it seriously, but stay with it and it will work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
holister
Newborn
Newborn
holister

PostSubject: Re: potty training bell question   training - potty training bell question EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 8:13 pm

the funny thing is he doesn't care for the bell, we hang out on the handle of our front door and have already shaken it so many times and he doesn't care for it as a toy, I hope that doesnt mean it wont work for him though :S
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: potty training bell question   training - potty training bell question EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 8:15 pm

Good, that just makes it easier to train him then. My puppy was absolutely obsessed with the bell and I had to abandon this training for quite a while for him to forget about it.
Back to top Go down
holister
Newborn
Newborn
holister

PostSubject: Re: potty training bell question   training - potty training bell question EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 8:17 pm

lol yes to be honest i thought he would treat it like a toy, but he doesn't, im just bringing him to the door and taking his paw to hit the bell and then proceed to take him outside, and we always reward him with treats when he poops or pees Smile thanks for all the advice though!!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: potty training bell question   training - potty training bell question EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 8:18 pm

No problem, good luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: potty training bell question   training - potty training bell question Empty

Back to top Go down

potty training bell question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1