It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Quick Rant

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 1:23 pm

So last night we took Nova to an Artwalk. She did great, we are super proud of her. That being said at some point we stopped for a bit to eat, a couple beside us started talking about their sib. They kept telling us that at 2 years old ours would go crazy, because theirs did, and she would start being super aggressive, and pretty much just turn into Cujo...dogs don't just turn like that...has anyone ever heard of a dog just turning like this? Of course I didn't say anything but I really just wanted to tell them to go home and take care of their dog and maybe it wouldn't be so crazy. Some people just make me so angry. It doesn't help that we were sitting outside at a restaurant and couldn't go anywhere so we were stuck for half an hour listening to them about their dog. Quick Rant 1625187496 
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 2:21 pm

No, if you are strict with them, they know their place. They do rebel just to test limits but they do not all of a sudden go crazy. Just keep enforcing what you are doing and he will be fine! I have learned to NEVER listen to anyones husky stories unless its on here because they just make me so mad, when people start talking to me about them and aren't suitable owners. They are always like oh I once had a husky and then I gave it away cause it was crazy, or it ran away because I didn't leash it, or something stupid that just makes me want to yell. Sounds like you handled it right, and you were polite, but I've just learned in one ear out the other for the most part unless its someone that is a caring owner! My big thing is lately people like talking down to me because I'm young. I go to this all natural dog shop (I'm a very good customer of theirs, and have to go because nothing else around me sells Honest Kitchen and stuff) and they act like I'm an idiot. Like I'm at your store buying $80 worth of all natural food every 3 weeks, and you don't think I care about my dogs. They always grill me about how I'm keeping the huskies cool, and how they shouldn't be in the crate (mine also go to daycare) and how I should buy a car thermometer (I left them in the car to grab food with the AC on and a person in there with them, but that wasn't responsible enough) just all this stuff that I want to lose it on them but can't because I need that food! and get this THEY DON'T EVEN OWN A HUSKY! It is also a small dog dog care center....
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 3:39 pm

This is the first time I've come across someone that I wanted to be like well sounds like you need to train your dog. I mean Nova had resource guarding issues when we first brought her home and we have put in aloooot of work to get her to the place she now so whenever someone is like I don't know what happened it just started being really aggressive, it just bugs me.
Back to top Go down
Ashley&Kaia
Puppy
Puppy
Ashley&Kaia

Female Join date : 2010-01-15

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 4:01 pm

I got Kaia when I was 23 and I remember going to a doggie daycare when she was young (I was holding her, and I went with my friends cuz they were Gonna put their dogs there)...but the owner was like "I've trained German Shepards for the police blah blah, and he asked me why I got a husky and I was in way over my head" I think it was cuz I was younger, right outta college, whatever! I would like to go back now and say HA see, she's a great dog I showed you! Lol
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 8:26 pm

lol people are ridiculous
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 5:56 am

Huskies are defiantely a challenge from the age 1 - 3, but no Husky and no other dog will go crazy and become aggressive from one day to another without a reason.

As a dog owner you will cross alot of people that have special expert advice for you, especially when you own a Husky. The best is to let in to the left ear and let it out again on the right.
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 10:17 am

They probably got their dog from a BYB and it might've had a mental/neurological disorder
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 10:24 am

Omg, don't get me started on people telling me how to raise my husky... just no
Back to top Go down
Cyberpup
Puppy
Puppy
Cyberpup

Male Join date : 2013-03-16

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 2:10 pm

I've never been that impressed by trainers who claim to have worked amazing feats with German Shepards or similar breeds. After all, that's what those breeds are meant for. Obedience freaks and Shepards just seem to go together anyway. I'd be more worried if they didn't claim such success.

And Huskies don't go suddenly crazy. Difficult? Yes! A mind of their own? Yes! It's part of the reason we love them so much!
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 4:58 pm

Emily.Laiche wrote:
Omg, don't get me started on people telling me how to raise my husky... just no

Or how they feel bad for the huskies whose owners won't shave them....

Cyberpup wrote:
I've never been that impressed by trainers who claim to have worked amazing feats with German Shepards or similar breeds. After all, that's what those breeds are meant for. Obedience freaks and Shepards just seem to go together anyway. I'd be more worried if they didn't claim such success.

And Huskies don't go suddenly crazy. Difficult? Yes! A mind of their own? Yes! It's part of the reason we love them so much!

I know right! Its like bragging that your retriever fetches...I love that Nova has given me new challenges!
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 6:31 pm

omg i know everyones like "why dont you shave him" i go sdlglkdhg
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 7:28 pm

OMG, Kevin, your pup is too cute.
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 8:50 pm

Emily.Laiche wrote:
Hahaha I know right!
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 10:59 pm

We had a similar thing happen to us in Petco. We were looking at treats, then this woman comes over:
Lady: I had a husky once. Be careful they can snap and are dangerous dogs.
Us: What do you mean? What happened?
Lady: Out of nowhere our husky ran at my daughter and bit her in the face - 23 stitches later we had to put the dog down.
Us: Oh .. okay. *walked away*

Our first thought was what was wrong with the dog to suddenly attack like that... and why are you buying dog food?

Petsmart: As we are walking in -
Young woman: Oh dad look a husky!
dad: Aww.. Jumpy puppy.
Young woman: Can I pet him?
Us: Sure - just wait until he sits. (never happens... -_-)
Young woman: I had a husky - I had to get rid of him he was too hyper. Now I have 2 labs.

.. So you traded 1 dog for 2? ... brain hurts.

Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 11:12 pm

It happens with every breed I think that is more common. Luckily when I started questioning getting a husky mix everyone I talked to said they are wonderful dogs assuming you exercise them physically and mentally.
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Super Nova wrote:
We had a similar thing happen to us in Petco. We were looking at treats, then this woman comes over:
Lady: I had a husky once. Be careful they can snap and are dangerous dogs.
Us: What do you mean? What happened?
Lady: Out of nowhere our husky ran at my daughter and bit her in the face - 23 stitches later we had to put the dog down.
Us: Oh .. okay. *walked away*

Our first thought was what was wrong with the dog to suddenly attack like that... and why are you buying dog food?

Petsmart:  As we are walking in -
Young woman: Oh dad look a husky!
dad: Aww.. Jumpy puppy.
Young woman: Can I pet him?
Us: Sure - just wait until he sits. (never happens... -_-)
Young woman: I had a husky - I had to get rid of him he was too hyper. Now I have 2 labs.

.. So you traded 1 dog for 2? ... brain hurts.

Mine doesn't either whenever we go to petsmart and see the puppy class trainer she has to run up and literally bounce off of her to get her attention because no one ever notices Nova Rolling Eyes lol
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 1:33 pm

techigirl78 wrote:
It happens with every breed I think that is more common.  Luckily when I started questioning getting a husky mix everyone I talked to said they are wonderful dogs assuming you exercise them physically and mentally.
I've gotten a broad range of opinions, love my nutty girl but yeah they are a lot more work than any other dog we've had
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Emily.Laiche wrote:

People always think that Maya and Sophie are shaved since they have short fur. Rolling Eyes And that it's so cruel to not shave Kay and let her be out in the heat with all her fur...
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Lately I've been getting comments like "How is it having three dogs?" and I'm just like 'eh, the expense is the only difference really." and they go "well don't they get into fights, or aren't they hard to control". I just want to smack these people and ask if they've ever heard of training their dogs, because apparently a lot of people seem to think dog behavior is out of their control. Like a guy with a dominant great dane male that was starting fights all over the park, and would just say "that's okay, some dogs just don't get along"
Back to top Go down
Halo_husky
Newborn
Newborn
Halo_husky

Female Join date : 2013-07-07

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Ashley&Kaia wrote:
I got Kaia when I was 23 and I remember going to a doggie daycare when she was young (I was holding her, and I went with my friends cuz they were Gonna put their dogs there)...but the owner was like "I've trained German Shepards for the police blah blah, and he asked me why I got a husky and I was in way over my head" I think it was cuz I was younger, right outta college, whatever! I would like to go back now and say HA see, she's a great dog I showed you! Lol

This is something I'm having happen all the time! People telling me I don't know what I got myself into and assuming I'm uneducated about the breed because my boyfriend and I are younger. Mad 
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 1:50 pm

Halo_husky wrote:

Ashley&Kaia wrote:

This is something I'm having happen all the time! People telling me I don't know what I got myself into and assuming I'm uneducated about the breed because my boyfriend and I are younger. Mad 

Ditto. Try being 19, looking 15, and owning two huskies lmao. People think I'm the world's biggest idiot.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 1:53 pm

Mobezilla wrote:

Halo_husky wrote:

Ashley&Kaia wrote:

Ditto. Try being 19, looking 15, and owning two huskies lmao. People think I'm the world's biggest idiot.

^ but with three. xD
Back to top Go down
Halo_husky
Newborn
Newborn
Halo_husky

Female Join date : 2013-07-07

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 2:03 pm

Mobezilla wrote:

I can only imagine! I'm 20 and look about 15 so having only one probably isn't quite as bad as with multiple!
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 2:44 pm

MayaAndSophie wrote:

Emily.Laiche wrote:

People always think that Maya and Sophie are shaved since they have short fur. Rolling Eyes And that it's so cruel to not shave Kay and let her be out in the heat with all her fur...

Nova has short fur so I get the "I'm so glad you shave your husky" and that's the one subject I can't just walk away from I always end up getting on my soapbox and preaching.

Mobezilla wrote:
Lately I've been getting comments like "How is it having three dogs?" and I'm just like 'eh, the expense is the only difference really." and they go "well don't they get into fights, or aren't they hard to control". I just want to smack these people and ask if they've ever heard of training their dogs, because apparently a lot of people seem to think dog behavior is out of their control. Like a guy with a dominant great dane male that was starting fights all over the park, and would just say "that's okay, some dogs just don't get along"

and some owners shouldn't be allowed to bring dogs to the park :/ I can't stand aggressive dogs at the park. We've just started taking Nova over to the big dog side because people have started bringing out really aggressive small dogs and the friends Nova has on the small side have even started going to the big dog side to get away from them.

Halo_husky wrote:

Ashley&Kaia wrote:

Everyone has to be a parent right
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 7:55 pm

>.< omg We went to a off leash dog park and it's like "i wish i could let ypou off lucifer" hilariously enough a lil pit pup named Asia was loving all over lucifer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Quick Rant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Rant   Quick Rant Empty

Back to top Go down

Quick Rant

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next