It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Agression?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pewis
Newborn
Newborn
Pewis

Male Join date : 2013-06-22

Agression? Empty
PostSubject: Agression?   Agression? EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 4:46 pm

So when I go out to run with my dog, he sometimes faces other dogs that bark and growl at him. He is normally distracted by those dogs but once I pull him he snaps out of it. Whenever there are dogs that are off their leash and go up to him. They bark and growl at him and he barks and growls back. Is that normal? He is very nice with people and he is very nice with dogs that are nice to him.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Agression? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agression?   Agression? EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 11:31 pm

Does he attack or just growl when they growl and bark like he's ready to play? Sounds normal to me but I'm no expert. My dog hates other dogs and is usually attacking as she growls. If the strange dog is growling at your dog it's normal for your dog to stand his ground and let the other dog know he isn't going to just bow to him or let him hurt you. If your dog is fine with non-growling dogs and will listen when you tell him to go on by then you sound like you're doing fine. Just pay attention to when the strange dog maybe up to no good. There's been a lot of dog attacks lately and we don't want to add to it.

Newborn
Newborn
Pewis

Agression? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agression?   Agression? EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 7:26 pm

Yes. His growl will probably end up in an attack. The other day, A rottweiler escaped his house and came to attack my dog. I held my dog's head and tried to pull him away. The rottweiler smelled my dogs butt and he became more docile. He eventually left because the owner came and whipped him (I was like "wtf?"). should I have let my dog smell his butt? Around nice dogs, he is nice.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Agression? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agression?   Agression? EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 10:42 pm

Dogs smell each other. It's how they get to know each other, exchange information, and in my experience when they are willing to take the time to smell then they are willing to put the attack on hold or abandon it completely. When Kenzi meets other dogs she growls and snarls and throws a fit. I usually keep a tight hold on her but I want her to be able to smell and be smelled in return and if the other dog isn't interested in just smelling I want her to be able to defend herself. His demeanor is mirroring the approaching dogs it sounds like since he is good with friendly dogs. When the Rott became more docile did your dog? I think the best thing you can do here is stay calm in the situation since your dog will sense your reaction to the new dog and let them smell but be in control in case something does break out. If you meet a lot of dogs that come at you off leash and semi-aggressive you may want to carry a squirt bottle or mace if you think an attack is a possibility. It doesn't sound like your dog would initiate an attack so your main worry is an off leash dog starting something with you. There are tons of threads on here about how to deal with dog attacks by off leash dogs unfortunately. I assume the dog you are referring to is the one in your profile picture, he's beautiful.

Newborn
Newborn
Pewis

Agression? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agression?   Agression? EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 11:25 pm

no, my dog did not become more docile after the dog smelled his butt. If the other dog would've been on a leash I probably would've let my dog smell him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Agression? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agression?   Agression? Empty

Back to top Go down

Agression?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1