It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Mouthing when being petted

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

Mouthing when being petted Empty
PostSubject: Mouthing when being petted   Mouthing when being petted EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 3:47 am

So I know I'd been asking about biting during play and on walks, and that problem has been solved. We still however have a problem with mouthing when being petted. I can't pet Caper without him taking my hand in his mouth, especially if I pet him anywhere on his body (face is ok, I think because I've practiced with him enough times to hold still for me to handle his face for teeth brushing and grooming). I don't know if he does it because he doesn't like it and is trying to get me to stop, or if it's something that dogs do when they are reciprocating affection. I went on youtube to watch huskies cuddling and they don't really mouth each other... What do you guys suggest?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Mouthing when being petted   Mouthing when being petted EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 10:25 am

Well at the very least I would suggest make as much of an effort as you can to communicate non-verbally, with your body language and energy that petting is time and a source for relaxation. Our actions always get reactions and if our actions are excited, the reaction is excited. If they're calm...:...

I'm assuming his behavior is playful, and therefore a form of excitement. You need to lead him by example and show that calmness is what you expect. Maybe try it by being quiet, calm with your hand, and as gentle as possible. Remember to breathe.

If you approach him when he is not riled up, don't rile him up yourself, and show him non-verbally that you want him to stay relaxed it should get you the result you want.

That said, try avoiding petting him if he is ever excited and try not to let other people pet him while excited as well. If in general you are having overexcitement issues you can start reducing the ways in which you reinforce the behavior.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Mouthing when being petted   Mouthing when being petted EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 10:34 am

Diz kind of does something similar sometimes. I call it his 'love bite.' When I let him out of the crate first thing in the morning, or after work, or when I get him from daycare, he takes my wrist in his mouth and gently mouths it, while walking around in front of me wagging, sometimes whimpering while doing it. Honestly, its kinda cute. Our family golden used to do that when I was little. He's doing it less and less now that he's getting a bit more mature though. Like Jeff said it sounds like it might be play with Caper. It could also be he's just not used to it. Maybe do some of the desensitization stuff with him on his body that you did with his face.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Mouthing when being petted   Mouthing when being petted EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 12:08 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
Diz kind of does something similar sometimes. I call it his 'love bite.' When I let him out of the crate first thing in the morning, or after work, or when I get him from daycare, he takes my wrist in his mouth and gently mouths it, while walking around in front of me wagging, sometimes whimpering while doing it.

Some of the trainers I've talked to, and even a couple of books I've read, tend to believe there are 2 completely different types of mouthing.

The normal one we all try and curve, which tends to happen during play for the most part, and a some what different one that is a lot more calm and very deliberate.

Some of the more "mouthy" breeds can also use it as a sign of trust or comfort. Think of it like holding hands with a human Wink. They'll take your hand in their mouth and not even mouth it.... Just place it there.

It is supposed to denote trust as well because they are just essentially using what can be the most destructive part of their bodies and doing no harm with it in the slightest. They are trying to demonstrate you can trust them not to hurt you.  

That being said not many people enjoy having their hands in a dogs mouth :PSo curving all forms of mouthing is never a bad thing.

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Mouthing when being petted   Mouthing when being petted EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 12:11 pm

Tika wrote:

wpskier222 wrote:
Diz kind of does something similar sometimes. I call it his 'love bite.' When I let him out of the crate first thing in the morning, or after work, or when I get him from daycare, he takes my wrist in his mouth and gently mouths it, while walking around in front of me wagging, sometimes whimpering while doing it.

Some of the trainers I've talked to, and even a couple of books I've read, tend to believe there are 2 completely different types of mouthing.

The normal one we all try and curve, which tends to happen during play for the most part, and a some what different one that is a lot more calm and very deliberate.

Some of the more "mouthy" breeds can also use it as a sign of trust or comfort. Think of it like holding hands with a human Wink. They'll take your hand in their mouth and not even mouth it.... Just place it there.

It is supposed to denote trust as well because they are just essentially using what can be the most destructive part of their bodies and doing no harm with it in the slightest. They are trying to demonstrate you can trust them not to hurt you.  

That being said not many people enjoy having their hands in a dogs mouth :PSo curving all forms of mouthing is never a bad thing.

~Chris~

That's pretty cool! I never knew that, thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Mouthing when being petted   Mouthing when being petted EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 12:58 pm

I've heard similar things too...they primarily interact with the world, physically, with their mouths so its therefore an intimate engagement of trust.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Mouthing when being petted   Mouthing when being petted EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 1:13 pm

Aw! That makes me feel so special lol... Wink
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Mouthing when being petted   Mouthing when being petted EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 1:38 pm

Chris, any recommendations on sources for that? I'd like to learn more about it, but can't seem to find much through my good friend google.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Mouthing when being petted   Mouthing when being petted EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Apart from trainers I can't remember exactly where I read it.

I feel as though there was actually a section in "Siberian Huskies for Dummies" on it.... but I couldn't possibly say for sure.

Sorry Jen, I have the worst memory for titles or names in the world Razz

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Mouthing when being petted   Mouthing when being petted EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 1:52 pm

Ha....hey, I really like you and I want you to trust me because I trust you... .BITE, BITE, BITE, BITE...

Sorta analagous, I have read from Cesar Millan they when teaching a dog how to swim a good sign to look for to see if they're comfortable and relaxed and trusting is if they start biting at the water. FWIW.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Mouthing when being petted   Mouthing when being petted EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 2:01 pm

No worries, I might check out siberian huskies for dummies. Smile Thanks!
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: Mouthing when being petted   Mouthing when being petted EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 2:05 am

Lol, Jeff!

Growing up, my mom and relatives would bite (hard!) me and my brother to show affection. So when they wanted to cuddle us we would run the other way... Either it's a cultural thing from their native country or we have some husky in our heritage... lol...

That's good if mouthing while petting is a sign of affection, then at least I know he is enjoying the petting. I wanted to know that I wasn't coercing him into tolerating me petting him :)because we had had that problem with play mouthing, I only go to pet him when he's lying down and chilling out or sleepy. He gently wraps his teeth around my hand and arms and softly chews on them. Then I get up and go wash my hands... lol
Back to top Go down
Jo
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Mouthing when being petted   Mouthing when being petted EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 3:00 am

Hi our one year old Husky Hayden is a mouther. It seems to be his way of communicating with us. However, this guy has the longest, wettest tongue around. We have just learned to say "gross" when he comes around and does this. If I am sitting at the table and he wants to go outside, he will come up and gently tug on my elbow, or start licking my arm. It is so nasty and gross. We do have some issues with him trying to grab our hands when we pet him. You go to love him and you get a gentle bite in the hand. Or play the try to beat the mouth game. We just use repetitive commands with him. Now if he wants attention he has to sit for it, and we tell him to be nice. We have good and bad days, usually if he realizes he is going to get a nice scratch between his eyes he is good for us. I think we are just learning that this is part of his personality, it will take some patience on both our parts, I like to think predicting the behavior before it starts is the best option.
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: Mouthing when being petted   Mouthing when being petted EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 3:33 am

Yes, it's super gross! Plus I get itchy hives if his saliva gets on me. Do you cue him before petting then, to let him know that all you want to do is scratch him? What kind of commands do you give him?

If I get the feeling that Caper is in that mouthy mode, I'll avoid putting my hands anywhere near his face. Yesterday during our grooming practice, I alternated between brushing with my hand and the brush and gradually used only my hands and faded out the brush. He didn't mouth me at all, maybe because he knew what I was expecting from him from what I taught him for grooming (stay still) but I would like to get to the point where I can spontaneously cuddle and pet him without having to go through the pomp and circumstance of letting him know we are training!
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: Mouthing when being petted   Mouthing when being petted EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 3:02 am

mouthing has been solved :)he has effectively been cured of all types of mouthing (on me) Very Happy

[Disclaimer is because he will still take someone's hand in his mouth if they push his head around and smack his face playfully (who wouldn't?) but I would say that's because that person (ahem, dad and other people in the home) is asking for it.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mouthing when being petted   Mouthing when being petted Empty

Back to top Go down

Mouthing when being petted

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1