It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky Help needed!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LaylaJane28
Newborn
Newborn
LaylaJane28

Female Join date : 2013-08-08

Husky Help needed!  Empty
PostSubject: Husky Help needed!    Husky Help needed!  EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 6:22 am

Hi there! Very Happy 

I did register on this fourm before but Ive been a div and forgitten my log in Rolling Eyes 

Layla Jane has just turned 9 months old. We got her at 6 months from a guy in leeds who once lived in a flat with her. The only reason he was selling her was because his wife was pregnant, she had been babied, like really babied. He took her to work every day so she was always around him. They left her in her crate for around 6 hours if they ever went out which was rare. But they havent really trained her. All she knows is sit, and now she knows the ' fetch' game because we've taught her it. Shes not quite got the hang of 'give' and tends to pull bless her Rolling Eyes 

Anyway, having a few issues with her toileting! She goes outside no problem and i give her a treat after and tell her shes a good girl. So she is trained- sort of! She doesnt do accidents in the house, not really, apart from yesterday when she refused to give me her bone back and pee'd on the carpet in protest so she got put in her crate and no bone for the rest of the day!

I got some Vet Bed for her crate, shes in a metal one with a plastic bottom. Ive taken it out to clean it and its currently stood outside. Only thing is what is the best thing to use to clean a plastic crate tray that a dog still thinks is okay to use it as a toilet? Just because I cant smell the urine doesnt mean she cant. She keeps doing her business in her crate aswell as outside. I dont know how else to stop this. She goes outside when me or my partner are home because shes pretty good at telling you when she needs to go out to the loo. She paces from door to door and if you arent sure shell jump up and paw your arm. But the crate, if i put her in there just so i can nip out for a couple of hours she pees almost straight away in protest. She has toys in there, she now has vet bed in there. She gets a kong with frozen peanut butter aswell but that has stopped recently due to it making her stool a little loose and then she tends to eat it Shocked 

She has no problem going to bed on an evening and goes straight into her crate on a night after going outside to the toilet. She gets a biscuit for it and then she does settle, i dont actually hear anything from her till morning. This morning though she was howling so i got up to go see what was wrong. This was at 7.40am. Which is unusual because she doesnt usually make any noise until one of us gets up. Turns out she had pooped in her crate, and not just abit. It was a BIG bit. I wouldnt say it was loose but she had stood on it. She had tried to move the vet bed to poop on the plastic bit and got half n half.

Can anyone help me as I am getting a little tired of coming home/ getting up to the smell of poop in the house! Husky Help needed!  1625187496 
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Husky Help needed!    Husky Help needed!  EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 7:05 am

There are others on here who will give good advice about what to do, I just have one suggestion. If this is a constant thing, take the bed out of the kennel. Sounds like it's just something that has to get washed every time she goes in it. And you are correct, it is possible she is still smelling the old urine on it unless you've been washing it with an enzyme cleaner.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
LaylaJane28
Newborn
Newborn
LaylaJane28

PostSubject: Re: Husky Help needed!    Husky Help needed!  EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 7:55 am

I dont know what the best enzyme cleaner is in england!

I keep washing it down with a bathroom cleaner at the moment as ive tried vinigar and that doesnt work. Neither does lemon juice! Running out of ideas. I actually thought the vet bed might stop her from messing in it if she thought it was carpet. Guess shes out smarted me there! Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Husky Help needed!    Husky Help needed!  EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 8:13 am

I personally would take the bed out regardless since its just something extra for her to soil or ruin in her crate. If you do want to continue to just clean it, a very common pet aimed enzyme cleaner over here is called Nature's Miracle. Not sure if you can get it across the pond though!
Back to top Go down
LaylaJane28
Newborn
Newborn
LaylaJane28

PostSubject: Re: Husky Help needed!    Husky Help needed!  EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 8:18 am

ill have to look out for it. Had an oder cleaner before for pets n it did nothing she still went in there. Its just a frstrating situation
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Husky Help needed!    Husky Help needed!  EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 9:02 am

It sounds like separation anxiety. If she is not used to being left alone and is fine in her crate overnight, then she may pee when you leave because she doesn't like to be left alone. I would start crate training from the very basics. Start by putting her in while you are there and feeding her treats, or kibble if she likes her food, then work up to leaving the room for a few minutes and give her a big reward if she doesn't mess, then work up to walking in and out your front door, again giving a big reward. Remove all bedding from the crate, until you can find an enzyme cleaner, clean with a dilute bleach and water solution, followed by bathroom cleaner, followed by dish soap, and rinse thoroughly to make sure there isn't any residue that could make her sick (dogs can absorb through their paw pads), do this every time she has an accident. Feed her all meals in her crate, often times a dog won't mess where they eat. Don't leave food or water in the crate for her while you're gone, she'll be fine without, unless you are gone 8+ hours. In terms of overnight, I would set an alarm to wake up earlier for a bathroom break, she may just not have been able to hold it, she is still a puppy.
Back to top Go down
LaylaJane28
Newborn
Newborn
LaylaJane28

PostSubject: Re: Husky Help needed!    Husky Help needed!  EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 11:05 am

I must say today shes been really good and has told me when she needs to go to the loo. Even in our back yard she told me Very Happy We have gone backwards with the bone though and everytime I go near her when she has it she growls so for now that is taken off her. My partners guna start that training with her later by giving her it and taking it off her.

Well we also think the crates too big, so would you recommend a divider? It is a pretty big crate but it came with her. I can upload a pic if needed?

By the way thanks for all the feed back I do appreciate it Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Husky Help needed!    Husky Help needed!  EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 11:09 am

I would definitely recommend a divider. It should only be big enough for her to lay, and turn around. I have a huge crate for Dizzy, but he's never had an issue going in the crate. If he did I wouldn't hesitate to put a divider in. I just recently allowed him to have a pillow in his crate, eventually I'll buy him a nice dog bed if he doesn't destroy his pillow.
Back to top Go down
LaylaJane28
Newborn
Newborn
LaylaJane28

PostSubject: Re: Husky Help needed!    Husky Help needed!  EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 11:23 am

Ill invest in a divider then because hers is big enough for two huskies i guess. Had to buy the dog with the crate so.... Rolling Eyes 

Well layla had towels in there but she kept pooping and then putting the towel over it so i stopped putting anything in. Only just got the vet bed yesterday and thats already been washed and put out on the line. Just baffles me as to why she thinks its okay to go in her crate. Because she does go outside aswell.

Shes currently sparko on the floor snoring her head off...shes so cute when she sleeps Razz 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky Help needed!    Husky Help needed!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky Help needed!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1