It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky in Russia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

Male Join date : 2013-04-09

Husky in Russia Empty
PostSubject: Husky in Russia   Husky in Russia EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 8:53 am

Hi All,

I was going through some photos my wife took in Russia when she went back home for a visit in 2010. My wife is from Kamchatka which is far eastern Russia and boarders Siberia. She has a friend who is a native from a tribe that boarders these two regions. Here is a picture of one of her friends' Huskies and a sled they use to run the dogs. Photos were taken in the middle of Summer. Probably doesn't conform to any breed standard but is probably as representative of the original breeds as found in the region these days??

They refer to the breed simply as Husky.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Husky in Russia IMG_2163_zpsd08e1498

Husky in Russia IMG_2177_zpsd78413ea
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Husky in Russia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky in Russia   Husky in Russia EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 9:21 am

Very cool, thanks for sharing. I'd love to see more if you have them!
Back to top Go down
seanbrunett
Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

Male Join date : 2013-05-13

Husky in Russia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky in Russia   Husky in Russia EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 11:36 am

Gorgeous pup! I'm fascinated by the history of the breed and love to read about where they come from in Russia. From what I understand, huskies haven't changed all that much as a breed, despite being one of the oldest. They're still independent, prey-driven and very intelligent. I'd love to see more photos if you have them!
Back to top Go down
mmwhiteside
Puppy
Puppy
mmwhiteside

Female Join date : 2013-08-08

Husky in Russia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky in Russia   Husky in Russia EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 1:36 pm

Oh how wonderful those two pics are! I too would LOVE to see more!
Back to top Go down
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

Husky in Russia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky in Russia   Husky in Russia EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 2:09 pm

THanks! I'll see if there are any others, It might take me a few days though.
Back to top Go down
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

Husky in Russia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky in Russia   Husky in Russia EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 12:26 am

I was surprised that we had these pics as they were taken well before we decided on getting a Husky ( mainly due to our worry that such a dog wouldn't cope where I live). I was also surprised how "pretty" this dog was. They basically get fed porridge and salmon straight from the streams and rivers (when there is an over abundance)

My wife says that this dog competes in a big race called Beringia that they have in Kamchatka - I think it is 950km and done on wooden sleds ????? http://fulbright.ru/en/jul_phillips
Back to top Go down
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

Husky in Russia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky in Russia   Husky in Russia EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 2:23 am

I have been through the pics and I don't really have much to add except for these...

My wife Anna with one of the dogs

Husky in Russia 353cb790-c0be-4eaa-b91c-515e21093446_zps496d76c6

My daughter Caitlin with two of the dogs

Husky in Russia IMG_2161_zps57e2587a

Caitlin on horseback with Anna's Aboriginal friend

Husky in Russia IMG_2197_zpsdb784889

Here are a couple of pics from when I was in Kamchatka, this was from a camping fishing trip with my brother-in-law - 120km from the city, 12 hour journey, half by ex-military transport (only way in except for Helicopter)

Transport on the tundra mid-summer

Husky in Russia 2009159

Husky in Russia 2009076

Same trip and yep Summer LOL!

Husky in Russia 2009158

Me with an amazing Husky at camping destination only around 5o km the above pic!
Husky in Russia 2009134
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

Husky in Russia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky in Russia   Husky in Russia EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 4:41 am

http://beringiakam.ru/photos
http://beringiakam.ru/video

There was a musher from Chukotka - Mikhail Telpin, who competed in the Iditarod earlier this year with his "chukchi" dogs (or beringia dogs - or other names depending on who you asked).

The dogs from those regions are probably the closest you can get to a "living ancestor" of our modern day Siberian Huskies.  They are still being bred to do what our breed here in the states is supposed to do.  They are still using their dogs in their every day life - so their breeding traits have not strayed very far (if at all) from what the Siberian Husky breed was based on.

http://thefanhitch.org/V12N2/V12,N2Russia.html

Husky in Russia Oil_pa11

Last edited by Niraya on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

Husky in Russia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky in Russia   Husky in Russia EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 6:16 am

cool, thanks for that info!
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

Husky in Russia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky in Russia   Husky in Russia EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 10:26 am

oh man <3 they're beautiful.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

Husky in Russia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky in Russia   Husky in Russia EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Those pictures are amazing. Very beautiful dogs, and that sled is very cool to see!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Husky in Russia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky in Russia   Husky in Russia Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky in Russia

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1