It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I rescued a husky and..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rykashuman
Newborn
Newborn
Rykashuman

I rescued a husky and.. Empty
PostSubject: I rescued a husky and..   I rescued a husky and.. EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 5:44 pm

It's been a while since posting, in my world, that means that my Husky is in A-OKAY condition! jocolor 

However, I was recently approached by another husky owner here in the town I work in. She had a husky dumped on her by her son, and she asked me if I would take him in. At the time I explained that having 4 dogs is MORE than enough. She came back in to my store three days ago and informed me that if she couldn't find her dog a home, he would be put to sleep.

She made him out to be this healthy, well taken care of dog, with no health conditions. So after a day of consideration, I made the jump and offered to take him into my single husky home. Which now consists of two male huskies, each around 14 months of age, and three female rat terriors. What's wrong with me you ask? Well, I couldn't imagine a perfectly wonderful dog being sent to death because of an ignorant owner.

So today I picked him up from her home. Which is ironically similar to a junkyard. I showed up a half an hour earlier than she expected. Just to see what his living conditions were. affraid 

I am SO thankful that I agreed to take this poor guy in. She gave me his vet records, and as of 2-15-13 he weighed in at 63 lbs. As of today, he weighs 42 lbs. Every bone in his body is visible, and touchable. So off to the vets we went. Waiting on a fecal exam to come back.

In the meantime, the owner explained to me that she is highly allergic, so the dog has been outside all summer. Here in IL that means he sat through 3 weeks of 95+ degree weather, with no shade, and no shelter.

I have no doubt in my mind I saved this dog. But anyways, there is a reason for my post.

The vet has advised me to feed him puppy food, due to its high fat content, it will plump him up...over time. I don't like feeling bones! My boy Ryka weighs in at 72 lbs, and 24 inches tall, so he is, IMO, perfectly plump. With the new dog, Timber, his weight worries me.

Here is a list of his current ailments:

Extremely thin coat, feels very gritty, very "horse mane" ish. Even after a bathe and brushing, his hair feels gross.
Incredibly thin, is there ANYTHING I can do to allow him to pack on the weight quicker? He nibbles at his food.
VERY Skittish. If you raise your hand in any manner, he flees, and quickly.
I was told her son shot fireworks at the dog, so he has a fear of loud noises. My surround sound, for instance.

He has an incredible disposition, he looks at me as he lays atop an A/C vent in the house, with eyes that practically say "Thank you. So much." He is by far the total opposite of Ryka. He is AKC registered, and fixed. He is a cuddler!

I'm just seeking answers and resolutions for the above mentioned problems. If this is in anyway in the wrong sub-forum, feel free to move it. I have never "rescued" a dog, he is my first. I see a long road ahead in bringing him back around, but I also see a wonderful dog, who just needs a chance.

-Zach, Ryka, and now Timber.

I rescued a husky and.. 10142110

I rescued a husky and.. Lights10
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

Female Join date : 2013-07-21

PostSubject: Re: I rescued a husky and..   I rescued a husky and.. EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 6:08 pm

He's beautiful. Thank goodness you saved him.

As far as weight goes, you can make him some satin balls. Here's one recipe but if you google it you can find various recipes: http://www.dogforum.net/dog-frequently-asked-questions/5191-how-make-satin-balls-fat-balls.html

Also maybe giving him some saw egg with his food or hard boiled eggs (shell and all for treats), or fish and coconut oils daily may help with his coat.
here's a thread on the oils: https://www.itsahuskything.com/t10631-added-fish-oil-to-their-diet-wow?highlight=fish+oils

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: I rescued a husky and..   I rescued a husky and.. EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 6:25 pm

oh look how cute he is! thanks for saving him!!! what are you feeding now, a high quality kibble will help with the coat as well as adding weight, but based on what he was living in its going to take a LONG time for him to come around, maybe a few months. dont force to much on him right now, just learn his triggers and work with them slowly, he will come around in time, just keep loving him.

Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: I rescued a husky and..   I rescued a husky and.. EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 6:39 pm

You could try finding some goats milk, it's easy to digest and makes kibble more fun to eat. Only about two more months and goats will be drying off for the winter, but if you do find some it will freeze and thaw well so that you can feed it longer. My dog dances and sings when we put a splash in her kibble. Nubian breed goats usually have more butterfat than the others but all give milk with good protein and butterfat.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: I rescued a husky and..   I rescued a husky and.. EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Thank you so much for saving him! He looks so sweet.

As for the weight, make some satin balls (what was mentioned above). He'll pack on the pounds pretty quickly. Plenty of recipes online.

His fur is probably sun-bleached. This means that he was outside for a very long time and his fur is now frayed and not healthy. If you add fish oil to his diet, it will help out his coat in the long run. It may not happen over night (and probably won't) but once he blows his coat this Fall, you might be able to notice a difference. If not in the Fall, probably in the Spring.

The skittish thing will happen for a few months until he is used to you. Give it time.

Once again, thanks for saving this pretty boy! Plenty of information around here for you to sniff out. Smile
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: I rescued a husky and..   I rescued a husky and.. EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 6:50 pm

Brush often, will help stimulate the hair follicles as well as disperse oils. You can do satin balls or just add in ground beef to the diet. Easy goes it- it can cause loose stool if too much too quick. Adding oils (coconut, fish, and/or vitamin E) can help rebuild the coat. It's going to just take time. The coarseness should fade as he sheds.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: I rescued a husky and..   I rescued a husky and.. EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Good for you for rescuing him! He is stunning! I second the coconut oil! My dog's get raw spots on their elbows, because of our hardwood floor and whenever I apply the coconut oil, after about 2 weeks it's pretty much cleared up. Eggs are amazing for their coats as well!

I think with some good quality food, steady brushing, and some extra vitamins, he should be good as new in no time!
Back to top Go down
Rykashuman
Newborn
Newborn
Rykashuman

PostSubject: Re: I rescued a husky and..   I rescued a husky and.. EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Thanks for all the helpful info! I assume you folks suggesting the satin balls, have used them in the past? My biggest worry is the raw diet. Not knowing his past, I could just see waking up to a kennel full of poo poo.

He is an incredible dog. I'm just glad I can show him the love he truly deserves.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: I rescued a husky and..   I rescued a husky and.. EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks for rescue this beautiful pup..

If you don't want to do a raw diet you could add boiled chicken or cooked hamburger to the food rinse the fat off the cooked hamburger.

I agree with salmon/fish oil coconut oil and raw eggs in the diet. I also give mine sardines once a week.
Back to top Go down
Bane
Puppy
Puppy
Bane

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: I rescued a husky and..   I rescued a husky and.. EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Sounds like the situation we got Willow in. Sad

We gave her a bath with oatmeal. The shampoo also had flea and tick stuff in it to hopefully kill off any fleas or ticks that were on her. Then we started her on Salmon Oil and daily brushing. That was two months ago. My husband and I were just talking about how bad her fur was when we first got her. We didn't even want to pet her and we felt horrible for that.

Thank you for rescuing him!
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: I rescued a husky and..   I rescued a husky and.. EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 1:07 am

Illinoians (thats an epic fail for spelling) seem to not take care of their red sibes or something, I got my twofrom a lady in chicago that caught them but couldnt keep them and I was told if I didnt come for them that night they were being put in the pound. I had similiar problems with very thin bad fur and it seemed to right itself a lot with a better food and good scrub down with mane and tail, I dont think we brushed them for the first two months about just because they were terrified of the brush, among other things, and wouldnt let me near them with it. My bella had issues with many noises it just took time for her too relax with me a bit and now ignores things usually but she still hates fireworks. Poor boy having to sit outside this summer we have had some terrible days this year and I had to force mine outside for 15 minutes just to be sure they completely emptied out the last few days have been hot ones again. Goodluck with him gaining some weight after almost 9 months I am still fighting with my two's weight one gai s finally the other looses, it gets hot they refuse to eats and loose too much, etc. congratulations on adding to your pack though and he is a handsome boy!!
Back to top Go down
liamdav6
Newborn
Newborn
liamdav6

Male Join date : 2012-12-26

PostSubject: Re: I rescued a husky and..   I rescued a husky and.. EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 1:49 am

Just throwing my 2c in; it's unhealthy to pack on weight. The vet recommend a diet for weight over time cause the body has to adapt to the weight on the joints. It's like a person losing weight fast - might SEEM like a good thing, but for the body it's sudden weight gain/loss is not health.
I agree with the coconut oil bit, it's very good for there skin and coat
As for fear of noises and general phobia's, paying them attention while scared reinforces that mental state. For noises - in particular surround sound - start by putting them on in a very low volume (lower than you can hear cause the dog will still hear it crystal clear) and work your way up to your comfortable level. But that's gonna take quite some time. Raised hands...not to sure of...maybe just start by stroking him softly while he's calm and get others when he's comfortable with you to stroke him - mentally reinforcing that people are fine. If it was learnt at a young age it'll take longer to move past but if you keep at it you'll get there eventually. Probably best to consult with your vet or a behaviorist about strategies to deal with the fears.
Goodluck Smile
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: I rescued a husky and..   I rescued a husky and.. EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Poor baby, he looks like a gem
Back to top Go down
MattV
Newborn
Newborn
MattV

Male Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: I rescued a husky and..   I rescued a husky and.. EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 9:59 pm

From what I understand, Huskies typically run from 45 to 65 pounds. They're really more of a medium sized dog. He doesn't look THAT bad in the pictures. I suspect that being outside in the heat did cause some weight loss, so he's probably under his ideal. I'm not surprised by his lack of appetite. Change in environment and all likely play a role in that. Ours would only nibble when we brought him home from the pound, but within a week or so was doing fine--at least once we found something he liked.
You might talk to your vet about exercise and upping his protein and calorie intake. But you'll want to back off the food as he puts on weight. The exercise is important because he needs to be building muscle, not just putting on weight.
As far as the coat, that could be related to a combination of nutrition and outdoor exposure. It will likely improve with time and high quality food.

The breed is tough and resilient. One of the local rescues recently took one back that had escaped into the desert. Probably out for 3 weeks or so in 105+ temps, and at some point managed a snake bite.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I rescued a husky and..   I rescued a husky and.. Empty

Back to top Go down

I rescued a husky and..

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1