It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cyphr
Newborn
Newborn
cyphr

Male Join date : 2013-10-08

Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. Empty
PostSubject: Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.   Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 12:32 am

Hey guys. If you haven't seen my introduction post, my name is Jack and my dog's name is Kilo. wave 

Anyways, the other day I took my new rescued Kilo to the local dog park to see how he would do with other dogs. When we got there, there was nobody there. I thought, well at least he'll run his energy out. After about 10 minutes another person showed up with a Husky!! Awesome, the owner might be able to answer some of my questions regarding the breed.

So we get to talking and I start noticing a bit of an snotty, elitist attitude in her voice. She asked where I got Kilo, and so I told her I got him from craigslist. If I didn't, he was most likely going to the pound. So then she proceeds to ask how much I paid for him and I told her $80. She replied with a scoff and said, "I paid a lot more for mine."  I was thinking, okay, so instead of probably rescuing him, she bought from a breeder. I thought, why not just rescue one... Anyways..

I think the thing that ticked me off the most was when she grabbed Kilo by his scruff and took a picture of him............ Without asking my permission. To me, this is a total show of no respect for others and their pets. And she was tugging on his scruff to try to get him to look at her phone when she was trying to take the picture.... -_-

And then she asked if he was an "Alaskan Husky." I said, to the best of my knowledge, he is full blooded Siberian. She scoffed again and gave me a go-to-hell look.

Here I am thinking, why does it matter if it's purebred or not? Does it matter that I got him for $80? It was a rescue dog. Shouldn't she be happy that I rescued him?

But, Kilo showed who's boss by making her dog submit. I was holding back my laughter so hard.

Question is, are Huskies the elitist's dog? And are the people that rescue them out of the "cool crowd?"

Here is my Kilo!
Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. 3UX0Ml1
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.   Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 1:30 am

Where are you located? We really don't have many huskies here in Central VA. I know when I see another, I'm just so excited to have someone (like you said) to swap ideas and share crazy Husky stories that I don't care where they got there dog or if it is purebred! I doubt if I have ever even seen 10 huskies out and about in my life (not counting a dog show or being sold in a pet store). Except for the 2 I have had, I have only ever met one other red husky (and he was in Pittsburgh - my crazy husky-owner husband chased him and his owner half way around Heinz field to meet them!)

We would love to meet and play with Kilo! We chose to buy Sabaka as a puppy for many reasons...the shortage of local huskies...the fear of adult dogs my kid had...the rescues that will not place in other states...etc. I really would have liked to rescue a pup! $80 well spent!! Congrats!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.   Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 7:13 am

I don't think of the husky crowd as elitist, but there are assholes in every group. I have found the opposite attitude here in the city. I have been berated a number of times for buying a puppy from a breeder, sometimes repeatedly by the same people. Everyone has different needs and makes the choice they think is best for them, and who's business is it anyway? I definitely support rescue and think its great that you took Kilo! He is a beautiful pup, and I'm not sure what she was scoffing at. Smile Hopefully I'll be able to rescue one at some point. We have two older cats, so I needed to get a puppy to make sure I could teach him to leave them alone. If she gets all snobby again, ask her what kennel she got her dog from and what it's pedigree is. Price and papers don't mean she has a well bred pup. Anyway, welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.   Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 9:15 am

By they way, if she was asking if he is an alaskan husky, there is no way she is knowledgeable about the breed. He definitely looks 100% husky to me (not that it matters, but still). I'm not sure what qualities she would see that would make her think Alaskan husky. Most knowledgeable husky people know that there is a wide range of variation seen among huskies, there are huge differences between those bred for working to racing to show, not to mention the puppy mill/byb breeders whose dogs range from giant to tiny, to incorrect coat type (in comparison to breed standard). It's hard to tell from the position he's laying, but he actually looks like quite a nice husky to me. I got Dizzy from a show breeder, and wanted to show him, but it looks like that's not going to happen. I (and most show world people I've met) would never snub someone for rescuing, and it's just flat out rude to ask how much you paid for your dog. Honestly, I'd love to see a picture of her dog and yours standing next to each other. I have a feeling hers wouldn't be a better (by better I mean more in line with the breed standard) example of the breed.

You'll find that with a husky, you'll get tons of attention and tons of random people telling you they know everything about your dog, and how terrible you are for doing x,y, and z. You should use the furminator, your dog should be able to call 911 by the age of 6 months. If he doesn't have perfect social skills you're a monster... Blah, blah, blah. Just ignore it or argue, either way, eventually you'll start to find it funny.

Edit - Btw, Dizzy and I have a woman (professional trainer) that regularly bullies us, for no apparent reason, and the last time I saw her, I calmly asked her why she enjoys being so sadistic. She hasn't said much to me since. Smile
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

Female Join date : 2013-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.   Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 12:17 pm

your dog should be able to call 911 by the age of 6 months. If he doesn't have perfect social skills you're a monster...

This made me laugh out loud!!lol!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.   Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Welcome to the forum, Jake! Kilo is a cutie. Definitely all Siberian husky. I am appalled by the other lady's comments. Thank you for rescuing! I got Juneau when she was a puppy on CL.

A lot of people have the misconception that huskies should be 70-80 lbs. Ignore those people.

Rescue dogs are just as good as 'breeder' dogs! Hell, some rescues that we get, are from good lines! They're just really good escape artists.

Usually if someone has to brag about something, they usually don't have 'it'. Know what I'm sayin'? lol

That lady shouldn't have grabbed Kilo by the scruff either. That's kinda like grabbing your kid by the shoulder to make him stand still. You should tell her next time to leave him alone. That's my intake anyways.

There were people at the dog park that were trying to give Juneau some tea! I was like "... Yeah, no, don't give my dog your tea". They left lol. I'm pretty shy, but when it comes to my dog, I'm all about protecting her.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.   Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 12:58 pm

I like to play devil's advocate, so please don't get offended, here it goes.

In your post, you kind of made it sound like you were put off by her initial questions. Did you get a attitude early on as a result?

You said you got him from craigslist. Did you specify you got him as a adult? Many people do frown upon BYB (both people who get purebreds and rescues) and that is pretty much what you get if you get a puppy off of craigslist. She may have already thought, oh great, someone is supporting puppy mills or BYB. Maybe a better way to repharse, "I got him off of craigslist as an adult from someone who was giving him up and couldn't handle him. I am so happy I got him as he didn't have to end up in a shelter situation." Most people can't say much to that statement and it says nothing about their choice to go purebred via breeder or shelter. I got my lab from a petstore, but will usually tell others I would never do again after learning more in same breath.

I have no clue what my puppy is as I got him as a rescue. About 80% of people will guess german shepherd. Are they right? I don't know. He has blue eyes and a lot of husky behaviors/appearance. Others tell me he is purebred husky. Many people don't know huskies can be all white either. I don't really argue with them. I just kind of keep a mental note - another person said he is german shepherd. It is kind of a fun game. Could your dog be Alaskan husky? The truth is you don't know as I assume you don't have papers and never saw the parents. Alaskan huskies are essentially mutts anyways. This is a person with a husky, they may know more then you think. I would retrain your thinking to be open to what others think. Ask questions . . . "I think he is siberian husky, but as I rescued him, I don't know for sure. What makes you think he is not Siberian Husky?" This may create a nice conversation for you. By the way, looks pretty siberian husky to me. Smile

I think there are cool crowds everywhere. I don't find husky owners I meet to be any different then other dog owners. But if you are nice and don't have a attitude yourself, at least you know that you are the better person. I use to be more defensive, but I guess as I get older I just don't have the energy for it. If I want to talk to a person I am nice. If I don't, I politely leave the conversation. Sometimes I keep my thoughts to myself so that I don't offend someone or get into unnecessary debate. No one should have to get frustrated when you are trying to enjoy yourself with your dog. Smile
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.   Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 1:51 pm

wpskier222 wrote:

You'll find that with a husky, you'll get tons of attention and tons of random people telling you they know everything about your dog, and how terrible you are for doing x,y, and z. You should use the furminator, your dog should be able to call 911 by the age of 6 months. If he doesn't have perfect social skills you're a monster... Blah, blah, blah. Just ignore it or argue, either way, eventually you'll start to find it funny.
This whole comment just made my day! I love our unique, fun-loving, shedding, stubborn, escaping (well, I don't really love that), pulling breed choice! Don't let anyone compare them to a lab... Wink
Back to top Go down
Husky Town
Newborn
Newborn
Husky Town

Male Join date : 2013-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.   Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 2:52 pm

Hi Jack & Kilo,

Kilo is a great looking Husky and good on ya for rescuing him!

I would have to say that her Husky has not taught her well... Sad because she should follow the lead dog on this one. I have never met a Husky who was not friendly. My two love meeting people and other dogs and don't care how much they cost or if they are pure breed.

As to "Question is, are Huskies the elitist's dog? And are the people that rescue them out of the "cool crowd?" I would say from the people I have met who hang with Huskies no. You met the exception not the norm. I personally think its great that you rescued him, i would have also but the cats!, most of the rescues I have seen say not good with cats, so I make donations instead to keep them going.

So that said, anytime your in our area Snow, Bandit and I will hangout with you and Kilo, that would be a cool crowd! Chilly even!

All the best

Rob
Back to top Go down
ChillyBeach
Teenager
Teenager
ChillyBeach

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.   Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 8:54 pm

^^^
Someone say Chilly? Cool

We visit many dog parks and I've never been asked how much I paid for Harry. We've gotten several questions about where we got him and I'll gladly give Harry's breeder some free advertising. But he' a family member and the cost to bring him home is irrelevant (in reality, to make an analogy to cars, it was just a down payment which is far outweighed by the cost of continued proper maintenance). I'm guessing she only associates things to monetary value...sad for her.

There are many great servants of dogs out there who are fun to meet and talk with and there are many horrible owners around as well. I do find that those with Huskies are a bit more relaxed and know what dog play looks like.
Back to top Go down
Rigbyjek
Puppy
Puppy
Rigbyjek

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.   Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 10:51 pm

Welcome Jack and Kilo! How old is Kilo and where abouts are you guys? He looks just like my boy! :)Rig would happily play with Kilo anytime! I agree with everyone, it sounds like you met one bad egg. I would just ignore her rude comments, she sounds like the type who would rather spend a ton of money to ship her dog off to be trained rather than spending anytime working with the dog herself.. to each their own Wink I give you HUGE credit though- If anyone EVER grabbed Rig by the scruff of his neck at the dog park I'd flip out! :)lol
Back to top Go down
cyphr
Newborn
Newborn
cyphr

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.   Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 7:44 pm

First I want to say thanks to everyone for the support and showing that it was a rare instance.

techigirl78 wrote:
I like to play devil's advocate, so please don't get offended, here it goes.

In your post, you kind of made it sound like you were put off by her initial questions.  Did you get a attitude early on as a result?  

You said you got him from craigslist.  Did you specify you got him as a adult?   
Yes, I told her I got Kilo the day before. She just had an entitlement attitude from the get-go. As far as the knowledge of Kilo's "pureness", the person I got him from is a dog groomer, she took him to the vet and he said pure, and from what I've read, he meets every AKC guideline right down to the tail "hooking" in a perfect arch. But, like I said, I told her, "As far as I know, he's purebred."

Last edited by cyphr on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cyphr
Newborn
Newborn
cyphr

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.   Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 7:48 pm

Rigbyjek wrote:
Welcome Jack and Kilo! How old is Kilo and where abouts are you guys? He looks just like my boy! :)Rig would happily play with Kilo anytime! I agree with everyone, it sounds like you met one bad egg. I would just ignore her rude comments, she sounds like the type who would rather spend a ton of money to ship her dog off to be trained rather than spending anytime working with the dog herself.. to each their own ;)I give you HUGE credit though- If anyone EVER grabbed Rig by the scruff of his neck at the dog park I'd flip out! :)lol
Kilo is 8 months, as far as we know. And we are in Winston-Salem, NC. I try to be respectful to everyone and it really takes a lot to get me to become a sarcastic, belligerent person.
Back to top Go down
bobi
Newborn
Newborn
bobi

Female Join date : 2013-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.   Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 8:24 pm

if i didnt have a small pet and a very young child then i would have opted to take a dog from a rescue centre. if you are in a position to do so then i think that anyone would be mad not to-baring in mind what the future may hold for them if no one wants them : (

this person who snobbed on you...are you sure that you didnt just misinterpret her? do you really care what this woman thinks of you and your dog if she judges a dog based on its price? i wouldnt give 2 twirly brown smelly ones for anyone like that!

if you both had exactly the same car and she paid double that of what you paid, do you think you should admire her for throwing money away or do you think that she is a little brainless?

good for you for taking something that someone else sadly had to give up!
Back to top Go down
cyphr
Newborn
Newborn
cyphr

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.   Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 8:39 pm

bobi wrote:

this person who snobbed on you...are you sure that you didnt just misinterpret her? do you really care what this woman thinks of you and your dog if she judges a dog based on its price?
Well, the problem I had was I was a regular at this park, just with my now deceased Rottweiler. And I've never ran into this kind of thing. And the attitude this woman gave off was that of a "pretty cheerleader in high school talking down to the geeky kid." < In which I know, because I was that geeky kid, haha. And no, I'm not really upset that she judged my dog, I'm just wondering why it matters where or what I paid for my Kilo, with her being a Husky owner as well, I thought her of all people would be excited and more.... "He has a husky just like me, let's be best friends" kind of thing.

The thing that really upset me was her scruffing my dog. With Huskies being pack dogs, the alpha is the one who *bites* the scruff to show leadership. I want Kilo to know that I am the alpha and to follow my lead. This is how I'm training Kilo, ridicule me all you guys want, but it's working for me.
Back to top Go down
bobi
Newborn
Newborn
bobi

Female Join date : 2013-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.   Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 8:55 pm

i just would not let it bother me. your dog must be ok because he let her do it to him..maybe a nicer personality than she has. dont let it get to you-its just negative energy that you dont need. i doubt your dog is going to be at all affected by being grabbed by the scruff that one time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.   Kind of a rant and a question for everyone. Empty

Back to top Go down

Kind of a rant and a question for everyone.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1