It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"? Empty
PostSubject: Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"?   Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"? EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 6:02 am

Hi guys,

This is probably an odd question but I am having a problem with Orion that I honestly do not know what to do about. He is incredibly precious about his personal space and being a right douchebag about it in obedience training. We have started rally obedience and he is supposed to sit to my side touching my legs or sit to my front with his feet touching my feet. Instead of doing this he takes two steps sideways or backwards depending on where I am telling him to sit then he will sit. He absolutely will not sit or lie down tucked in nicely against me. I have tried keeping him on a short leash so he does not have the option of creating space between us - this just ends up with him fighting the leash. I have also tried keeping the treats in close to me so in order to eat them he has to come close but he just refuses the treats! I have tried sausage, cheese, ham, jerky even raw chicken nothing works!
The thing that really gets me is that in any other situation he is a real smoocher and will invade my space as often as he possibly can but as soon as I give him a sit or down command he must be 2 feet away Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"? 1625187496 

Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Damn teenage huskies....
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"?   Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"? EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 8:49 am

I'm guessing it was inadvertently trained in as part of sit, meaning he thinks sit means, 'take two steps then put my butt on the ground.' I would just start working on shaping it, start with him at the length he usually likes to sit away from you, sounds like about 2 feet, and see if he sits without taking the steps. If he does, just start working on that and slowly decrease the distance as he gets better at sitting without stepping. Start marking and rewarding only the sits he does without stepping, no matter what the situation. If it is a space thing, then have him sit, and then tell him stay, and go stand next to him, so that he starts to feel comfortable with you standing next to him in that situation. He might just feel like work time, is not cuddle time.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"?   Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"? EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 11:34 am

That is interesting... Have you tried standing next to him once he sits? Let him sit 2 feet away, then walk to him and stand there. Then perhaps reward him for sitting there and staying (if he does). Or will this defeat the whole purpose?

I sometimes feel like Juneau has a personal bubble. When she's laying on the floor and I want to hug her, she'll stretch out her front paws in my face/chest so I can't get near her. lol. She's been getting better about it though.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"?   Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"? EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 11:46 am

Nikolai does this too, but its more like he sits away so he can look at you to make sure he is doing what we asked. Does Orion look at you while you do this? Or is he just being stubborn and doesn't know to be next to you, and maintains no eye contact?

Jackie, Nikolai is like that too. If I want to cuddle and he doesn't, he has started this thing where he pushes you away with his front paws or smacks you in the face with them.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"?   Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"? EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Shaqua is very independent and loves her space. She definitely has a bubble. She will come up and cuddle but only for a while, then it's back to the floor to lay down. Unless the couch is empty, if it is just her on the couch she will stay there all day...
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"?   Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"? EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 5:08 am

So I did some tests tonight and if Orion is far enough away from me he will not move to sit however if he seems to think he needs more space the he will step away then sit. If I make him sit, then tell him to stay I can walk up to him not problem. He will let me position myself to his side so I am touching him, I can walk in a circle around him (I wanted to see if he would move once he could not see me) and I can position myself in front of him however he will not hold a sit and allow my feet to be touching his feet... so it seems he doesn't like people in his face.

Looks like I'm going to have to start carrying my clickers round again for some opportunist clicking lol
Back to top Go down
RabbleFox
Newborn
Newborn
RabbleFox

Female Join date : 2013-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"?   Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"? EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 1:08 am

I just had a brain blast whilst training Bae tonight. Perhaps this might help you a bit. I was accidentally working against the wall in my house. And then I was doing it on purpose to tighten up his "around" command to get to "place". By working close to the wall, he had no other option than to sit real close to me. Click and treat!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"?   Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does anyone's Husky have a "personal space bubble"?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1