It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Problems with size and weight

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mylo91
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-10-26

weight - Problems with size and weight Empty
PostSubject: Problems with size and weight   weight - Problems with size and weight EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 11:08 am

Hi everyone, this is my first topic so I hope I won't be killed by you guys. First of all, I tried to find something similar to my problem with no results.

I got a husky pup to my house about 2 months ago and he is now almost 5 months old (he will be in one week, precisely on the 5th of november). For me he is not growing very well since he is only  8 kilograms - 17,5 lbs. I have seen a lot of other pups recently and pretty much one of about 3 months weights the same as mine. I was feeding him on Hill's because my vet suggested it to me saying that it was very good and other stuff. I have read a couple of topics and I realized that Hill's truly sucks so Monday I am getting acana large breed puppy. Again there is another problem. My puppy has diarrea since last week, but he is still very active and full of energy. However I took him to the vet yesterday and I explained her my doubts and so she said it might be giardia. However I am thinking about switching vet because she kept on saying that hill's is a very good nutrient for him. However I would like some advice from you guys and also I would like to ask you how many cups of acana should I feed him considering that he needs to gain some weight? And what should I do? I don't think it's giardia and I also think this problem is caused by the previous food (hill's). Thank you.

OK th vet confirmed that he has no giardia problems.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Problems with size and weight   weight - Problems with size and weight EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 11:23 am

Do you think you can post up a couple of pictures of him from the side view, as well as the top?

This can help determine whether he's underweight, or just small.
Back to top Go down
mylo91
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Problems with size and weight   weight - Problems with size and weight EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 11:46 am

I have already seen the chart about being underweight and he has the "curve" on the belly a bit too big. Later in the afternoon I'll post some pictures. Furthermore the ribs are a bit visible.
Back to top Go down
mylo91
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Problems with size and weight   weight - Problems with size and weight EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 11:53 am

Oh I forgot to mention that 3 days ago he puked after eating
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Problems with size and weight   weight - Problems with size and weight EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 1:56 pm

I think switching food is a good idea. I would suggest putting him on a bland diet until the new food arrives and then start him right on it. For a bland diet, I like to do hard boiled eggs and green beans. My pup had diarrhea off and on throughout his puppyhood and the egg diet always helped. I would suggest 2-3 eggs (or 4 if he can handle it without getting diarrhea) 3 times a day with a cup of green beans. My pup is allergic (causes itching) and intolerant (causes diarrhea) to chicken and any amount will give him diarrhea. The egg works well because it is a neutral protein that is not found in most dog foods. Your pup could be reacting to many things in the food, chicken, corn, etc so I would take him off of it right away and throw that crap away lol. You can also use ground beef or ground turkey (cooked) for the bland diet. Also, cut out all treats and extras until his stool is consistent. I know it makes training hard, but getting him healthy is most important. Training will come in time, so don't worry too much about it. Smile

Once you get the Acana, start by mixing a small amount (less than 1/4 cup) in with his bland diet, and slowly increase the kibble and decrease the egg. When he is fully off the egg, start by giving him 2 cups split into 3 meals (2/3 cup 3 times a day works well). If his stool stays firm, you can try to increase to 3 cups a day, again split into 3 meals.

I know how nerve wracking and frustrating it can be, but the most important thing is to add the food slowly into the bland diet. If you go too fast or over feed him, he'll get the runs again. From the time my pup came home until he was around 5-6 months old, his nickname was squirt...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problems with size and weight   weight - Problems with size and weight Empty

Back to top Go down

Problems with size and weight

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1