It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Boys vs. Girls

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

Boys vs. Girls  Empty
PostSubject: Boys vs. Girls    Boys vs. Girls  EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 2:47 pm

Are there any personality difference that are common with husky boys vs. girls? Some of my husky books say that girls are a little more aloof and the boys are a little more cuddly. Does any one find that to be the case?

I am leaning to a boy for our pup because our adult is a girl and I have been told that different sex parings tend to get along better than same sex. Also I haven't had a boy dog in years.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

Boys vs. Girls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boys vs. Girls    Boys vs. Girls  EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Every dog is different and has it's own personality. I'm sure you could find a common generalization that boys are more cuddly than girls (I've seen that said quite a few times).

I have two females and both of my girls are hover dogs (always have to be around us - follow us wherever we go). My black and white is always the first one to literally cuddle up with me to go to bed (squished against me) or lay at someones feet etc. The red one is cuddly but she's more of a den dog and prefers underneath my bed but she too will jump up and cuddle. She also insists on constantly being underfoot.

I haven't had a male Siberian so I can't verify if one would be more cuddly than what my girls are.

Boys vs. Girls  Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

Boys vs. Girls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boys vs. Girls    Boys vs. Girls  EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 3:26 pm

I have one of each...and I'd have to say...my boy is very cuddly and protective of myself, and the kids. My female however, can be as sweet and cuddly...but she doesn't like to be affectionate. They just both have different personalities. Oh, and she is definitely the brains of the two. She'll instigate on doing the bad things, and poor Kato will follow her lead. We usually end up catching him in the act...never her. lol
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Boys vs. Girls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boys vs. Girls    Boys vs. Girls  EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 3:31 pm

I've always heard from hearsay and even from Link's breeder that females tend to be more defiant and stubborn than the males, and that males are a bit sweeter and more affectionate.

Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

Boys vs. Girls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boys vs. Girls    Boys vs. Girls  EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 4:47 pm

My male is more cuddly and sensitive vs my independent females.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

Boys vs. Girls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boys vs. Girls    Boys vs. Girls  EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 11:39 am

My personal preference, I have always liked working with females of any breed over males. I have no reason for it.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Boys vs. Girls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boys vs. Girls    Boys vs. Girls  EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 11:55 am

Hughie wrote:
My personal preference, I have always liked working with females of any breed over males.  I have no reason for it.

I have always been the direct opposite. My girls have always been smarter so we've always used them for hunting, but for my purpose I've had better luck with males. I've always had guard dogs though so the sensitivity of my males has worked well in bonding them to me so that they are more aware of me and what I want/need them to do.

Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

Boys vs. Girls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boys vs. Girls    Boys vs. Girls  EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 am

I agree I think its all in the personality of the dog. I have two boys, and one is cuddly the other is not. My personal preference has always been boys but I really have no reason for it. That's just what I have always had my whole life, and never really questioned getting a boy when it was time to pick. I just can't imagine dealing with a girl going into heat, so I've just always thought it was easier with boys.
Back to top Go down
Monika30
Puppy
Puppy
Monika30

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

Boys vs. Girls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boys vs. Girls    Boys vs. Girls  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 3:37 am

My girl is the sweetest and gentlest dog ever, she follows me around and is very obedient (and always has been, she's also really quiet) however she doesn't like the cuddles much. My boy however (only 10.5 weeks old) is already showing a very affectionate personality but is such a trouble maker and very vocal (complete opposite of Winter). He is smart and learns a lot from her but he is the one that starts the digging, tries to steal her food etc. A nice balance overall Smile
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Boys vs. Girls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boys vs. Girls    Boys vs. Girls  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 8:44 am

I have one of each sex.. My male is the aloof one and my female is the lovey one she will always come to you for some love.. She also is the easy to work with when training.. My boy just ignores you unless it is something he wants.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

Boys vs. Girls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boys vs. Girls    Boys vs. Girls  EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 1:10 pm

Most of the male dogs I've been around are more lovey..than mine at least. Korra is just a princess. On a separate but related note, the males are all more mouthy than any of the females I know. Like, not bad mouthy because they all know bite inhibition, but definitely much more mouthy. Huh.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

Boys vs. Girls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boys vs. Girls    Boys vs. Girls  EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 2:09 am

^^and then there's Karli who wants everyone to love on her!!! I thought it was weird that everyone kept saying boys were more cuddly when I'd look down and she's curled around my feet lol.

Every dog is different, some people just prefer one gender over the other. I prefer girls, hence why I have two of them. And if you spay them before the first heat, no heat!!!
Back to top Go down
HuskaDoodle
Newborn
Newborn
HuskaDoodle

Male Join date : 2013-12-13

Boys vs. Girls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boys vs. Girls    Boys vs. Girls  EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 7:20 pm

I have also read that females have a bit more of a digging habit as a generalization then males - something to do with a nesting instinct. However my friend's male would dig for hours if he was allowed - same with the female Husky-mix that's in our extended family. I think Niraya said it best - each pup has their own characteristics!
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

Boys vs. Girls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boys vs. Girls    Boys vs. Girls  EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 8:10 pm

What mix is Sadie? I think it matters less with huskies as they were bred to work in teams with each other. But many breeds can be known for same sex agression. In those cases, pairing of the opposite sex is almost also the recommendation. Generally, you can eliminate some issues by pairing the opposite sex, but there are always exceptions to the rule. Another thing depends on how dominate or submissive Sadie is as if she is dominant, a more submissive dog would likely be a better choice.
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

Boys vs. Girls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boys vs. Girls    Boys vs. Girls  EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Sadie is a pitbull mix. Her mom is a pitbull her dad is a mutt with some pitbull characteristics. She is kind of bossy but we have babysat six puppies (my friends dogs trying to help with raising a puppy while working) and four were boys two were girls no issues. Also we fostered a husky mix for 8 months at got her at around 3-4 months old. The foster was a female and no issues. She is pretty laid back and gets along with everyone unless she is on a leash.

I am really thinking boy just because I kind of would like to have a boy and a girl.
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

Boys vs. Girls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boys vs. Girls    Boys vs. Girls  EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Yep talked to the breeder we are getting a boy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Boys vs. Girls  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boys vs. Girls    Boys vs. Girls  Empty

Back to top Go down

Boys vs. Girls

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1