It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

White Husky vs Traditional Markings?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SuzieQ63
Newborn
Newborn

White Husky vs Traditional Markings? Empty
PostSubject: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 11:35 pm

I have been researching Huskies for a few months and am ready to welcome one into our home. This is the breed everyone in my family, both younger and older children and myself. However, I've noticed several different coloring, from all white to black. I'm partial to the "traditional" markings, but my son thinks white is the most beautiful. I know it's just a preference thing, but am interested in your opinions? I think they don't quite look like Huskies all white, and I love the masked faces. But the white are definitely beautiful dogs. I've also read that the white are "less desirable", which wouldn't matter to us, but what would the reasoning be for that? Also, I have 2 cats, a Bengal and a white Polydactyl, how are they with cats?? We are looking at several puppies and also a 9month old siberian that needs a home. Thanks in advance for your opinions!!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Where did you hear they are "less desirable"? In what context? Also, search 'cats'. You'll be up for a week reading. Easy answer: usually not a good idea.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
SuzieQ63
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 11:56 pm

several different website I encountered in my research....I'm not saying I agree with that, just curious why?? I know one website mentioned the whole purpose of having a husky is the unusual marking, wolf-like coat, etc... I think they are all beautiful dogs, and I love the temperant. I've known several over the years and they've always been very friendly and playful. And the cats? Yes it worries me, which is why we prefer a puppy, to aclimate them to each other. I'm afraid if I brought an adult dog into the mix it would be an instant kitty snack Sad
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 12:17 am

Well there is no single purpose for having a Husky. There is a purpose to the breed though and that is pulling sleds. The markings are superficial and irrelevant as far as that is concerned.

As far as the Siberian Husky Club of America and the AKC conformation to the breed standard is concerned, an all white is equally as valid and official as a masked black and white, as a red and white, grey and white, etc.

As for you and your preferences, there's nothing wrong with having them. We all do. But the markings and color are superficial and not dictated by any official measures.

http://www.shca.org/SHCA_Illustrated_Standard.html
Back to top Go down
SuzieQ63
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 12:22 am

Thanks for the info....I read here on another thread that most breeders say the white is usually the last to go of the litter, so I guess there may some truth to the preference. We will be meeting with the white pup tomorrow to see how he interacts with us, so wish us luck!!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 12:26 am

Different fads come and go for colors. Grey and white is really popular in the show world right now. Of all the Huskies I've met in person red and whites are the least common.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 12:28 am

there's a thread on here devoted to all whites just so you know too.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 12:30 am

Ask current owner about puppy and cats. Some can be trained and some can not. My puppy is ok 95% of the time with my cats. Yet every now and then when they run he follows and we need to use leave it. He is not left alone with the cats, but I know he treats them much more differently then animals outside.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 1:01 am

There is nothing wrong with having a color preference. I have a black and white girl and I think she is down right gorgeous. However, in the future I would love to have a different color; BUT, color is not the most important thing. Structure, personality, and health are far more important.

I'm not sure what thread you are talking about with the "last to go", but I *think* like black dogs, whites don't have that BAMB factor marked dogs do. However, you will find PLENTY of people who wouldn't trade their white dogs for the world. I think other colors are much better looking, but there are few well bred whites.

As for the whole cat thing; it depends. It is probably easier to raise them with cats, but it isn't a 100% deal IMO. Some people trust their animals completely, but I think it is irresponsible to think that. Most people who have Sibes and cats never leave them together unattended, and the cats ALWAYS have an escape route.

I would also like to say if a website says the main "purpose" of having a Siberian is because they are "pretty", that is not a website you should be looking at if you are wanting information on the Siberian breed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 1:18 am

well said Kelsey. them being pretty is probably the absolute worst reason to get one.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 1:48 am

Well said Kelsey, I absolutely agree that health, structure, and temperament far outweigh any color especially if you have specific needs for your household- aka cats, children, function, etc. If you want information on the breed as Jeff has pointed out the SHCA's page, AKC, reputable kennel pages, this forum will all give you a 'realistic' view of the breed beyond their striking good looks.

Whites popularity is on the rise, that is for sure...though, IMO, not all whites are 'created' equal. There are some that have lost much of their breed type and some that I'd take over any colored Siberian out there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 1:51 am

HuskyMom09 wrote:

Whites popularity is on the rise, that is for sure...though, IMO, not all whites are 'created' equal.  There are some that have lost much of their breed type and some that I'd take over any colored Siberian out there.

Agreed. Some of these Sibes look like GSDs! Don't want none of that!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 4:16 am

My huskies are alright with cats... I took about four weeks of constant training with Keyto on the lead to get to the point we are at now. (Keyto was 5 when I got her.) She doesnt bother them at all inside, in fact she cleans them if they will let her.

Puppy hasnt hurt them but he tries to play with them, so am keeping a close eye on him  Wink 
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 12:47 pm

I have both and its all about preference. I agree with everyone else and make sure that the temperament and everything is right for your family before color.

Everyone thinks my traditional husky is a wolf, and everyone thinks my white one is a GSD. So no matter what you will get questions regarding what color you get. My white one is a very calm husky and my black and white one is very crazy but it has nothing to do with their color. I don't agree with the whites are the last to go. When we were looking for a white one it took us a very long time to find a breeder that had one and when we did there was a waiting list.

And be very careful as far as cats go. Even with them raised as a puppy, they still are an animal that won't always listen and accidents can happen. We have someone on this site the other day who I believe hers were raised with cats since they were puppies and her cat died the other day from the huskies and she couldn't help fast enough. So be aware that there is always that chance when mixing these dogs with those animals.
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 11:12 pm

I have heard that all white huskies can be difficult to show and a lot of the time wont place as highly. So they can be difficult as show dogs. (FYI no personal show experience I just go to the one close to me and talk to the people there. The Blackfoot dog show is so much fun. )
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 11:22 pm

It is true that whites are much less common than other colors in the show world and it is more difficult to show all whites because there are less conformationally correct dogs because the color is not favored by the popular breeders.

That doesn't mean there are not beautiful all whites being shown and that they aren't doing well.  Lani (I think her username is huskymom09 - edit she posted here! Lol) has an all white she will be showing sometime soon.   There is a trio of all whites that are shown in my area.  A breeder friend of mine has just recently kept her first all white and another friend handles an all white for Innisfree.  There are plenty more all whites out there...but they are in  the minority.

White Husky vs Traditional Markings? Oil_pa11

Last edited by Niraya on Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 11:24 pm

The key to showing is having a correct dog. I know a number of finished CH and GCH whites. One finished easier than my gray boy and I'm really excited to bring my white girl out into the show ring this next year
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 12:10 am

I wanted a husky just because their nature is all about what I wanted in a dog. I wanted the high energy, I wanted the fuzzy soft shedding fur, I wanted the zoomies and the crazy independent personality. If you feel like you can deal with those features (there is many more, but those are the number 1 noted traits) and still have a positive outlook about your dog, then husky is right for you.

I have the cliche of the circle of hatred in my house. I have a Cat, Dog and Bird. How do I do it? Ultimate patience and forgiveness. You have to be ready at all times to defuse a situation and handle it with poise and calmness. My cat is declawed on all four paws (it was something that my fiance was forced to do years ago because of his ex-step dad not wanting leather furniture torn up) so he does not have the ability to defend himself vs. Okami except biting. So Okami oversteps her boundaries sometimes with him. I keep a room designated for the dog barricaded with gates so she has her space, and if the cat wants to be in here he knows he can leave and Okami won't follow. I have gotten them both to sleep on my bed with me for an entire night without issues. It just takes that patience thing I was talking about. A tip that I can give that I did with them for a while, is give them treats at the same time. They feel happy and equally over joyed to be in mine and each others presence at the same time, and it makes it a positive experience for the both of them.

As far as coloring goes. All three my bird, cat and dog are all all white. It was not done on purpose.
My fiance had his white cat before we were together. I had a green and yellow parakeet that passed away, and I have always had a parakeet my whole life, so when I went out to get a new birdie friend, the coolest most active and playful one in the bunch was an Albino so I snatched her up. I have always wanted a husky since I was a little girl. When I heard the story about my Okami, I rescued her and she just happened to be all white. Would I have taken her if she was another color? Yes. There should be no preferences on color, even if you obtain a coincidence like my story lol. As long as you get a husky that you know you can handle, love and make a commitment to, then there is no issues. Well before I make more of a book.... there is my  White Husky vs Traditional Markings? 2144500265 
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 12:12 am

I always wanted a white husky, but my sister wanted a black and white, so we got one of each and threw in a red for th hell of it Smile

I do agree with everyone though, color isn't the important thing. Visit kennels and maybe you will get lucky and find a breeder that has a litter with multiple colors and let the puppy pick you. When you find the right dog, color will be the least of your concerns. Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 5:19 am

I didn't see any mention of this, so I'll bring it up.  In true working dogs, i.e. sibes pulling sleds in the snow on a regular basis, a solid white dog actually may be less desirable.  There are 2 reasons for this that I've come across over the years. First is lack of pigmentation in all white dogs with pink noses and pink around the eyes (this is irrelevant in all white sibes with black noses by the way).  The pink noses are more likely to get sun damaged in the working dog exposed to more sun than the average companion dog who isn't outside working day in and day out.  Second is that sibes  with a mask have a bit more protection from "snow blindness" as the mask has somewhat of an effect like sunglasses in a sense, protecting the dogs eyes from the brightness of the endless white snow and reflection of sunlight off of the snow.  I read about this in depth several years ago and was fascinated by the actual functionality of the full mask in northern true working sibes doing what they were originally intended.  Unfortunately I don't have links to share since it was so long ago that I read up on the subject.

So yes, in those cases it can be preferred to have the more traditional markings as opposed to an all white sibe.  The full mask and black noses are not purely aesthetic traits but traits that offer the working sibe protection from extended sun exposure.  However in a companion animal or even the working sibe who doesn't work in the snow all the time, color and markings are purely aesthetic and therefore have no real bearing on the "desirability" of the animal.  

From the sounds of it, you're probably not looking for a dog to add to a sled team who's out in the snow all day so color is really going to be an aesthetic preference.  But I thought it worth mentioning that there is some truth to white dogs being less desirable in certain situations as mentioned above.

Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 9:29 am

Val that is very interesting i never heard of that. Sooo the mask kind of works like the eye black a athlete wears under their eyes then?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 10:26 am

Ericobeasto wrote:
Val that is very interesting i never heard of that. Sooo the mask kind of works like the eye black a athlete wears under their eyes then?

Exactly

PostSubject: Re: White Husky vs Traditional Markings?   White Husky vs Traditional Markings? Empty

Back to top Go down

White Husky vs Traditional Markings?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1