It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky one of the "manliest" breeds

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Husky one of the "manliest" breeds Empty
PostSubject: Husky one of the "manliest" breeds   Husky one of the "manliest" breeds EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 8:01 pm

http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/10-quot-manliest-quot-dog-breeds-152400890.html

The descriptions of each breed are interesting.  I love how in quotes, "manliest" is sort of meant to be problematic or controversial, perhaps ironic, yet they just go ahead and uphold masculine stereotypes in each description and with dogs that look or act tough.  

I also find it funny that on this forum, I would say if there are only 10 active members that 6-7 would be women.  

Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Husky one of the "manliest" breeds   Husky one of the "manliest" breeds EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 9:56 pm

I can see breeds used as guard dogs and working dogs being thought of as "manly". Historically men are physical and athletic. They are protectors and adventurers much like most of the breeds on that list. I do believe that like children, the care of pets tend to fall on the women in the household regardless of if the "manly" dog would really be considered theirs. My dad has a bird dog, but my mom cares for her and does all of the research needed to keep her healthy and up to snuff, which leads me to wonder how many of the dogs on this forum, while a large number of women are members, actually would be considered their husband/boyfriend/partner's dog? We got Kenzi to be "our" dog which I think is typical, but she is often times assumed to be mine since I am her primary caregiver. I take her to the vet, feed her, exercise her and she tends to look to me for guidance in matters before she would my husband. It was an interesting list.

Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Husky one of the "manliest" breeds   Husky one of the "manliest" breeds EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 10:31 pm

Pfft, I don't think the type of dog you own reflects how "manly" you are. I've got my guns, fires, and video games for that. Cool

Also I'm not sure on this one but I think that chat-based and animal forums tend to attract girls more; where as survivalist and gaming forums tend to attract more males, based off what I've seen anyways. So even if it's just a crack article I wouldn't quite say that 7 of of 10 husky owners are female based off of one website. Anyways I'm surprised that pitbulls weren't on the list if you're going on stereotypes, but whatever... :/
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Husky one of the "manliest" breeds   Husky one of the "manliest" breeds EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 11:05 pm

That's not what I implied Aidan.  I know better than to take one website as a representation of the larger population.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Husky one of the "manliest" breeds   Husky one of the "manliest" breeds EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 11:28 pm

Well yeah, but you know, those darn stereotypes and lack of internet emotion make it hard to interpret what anyone is implying on anything. xD
Back to top Go down
KembasWalker
Puppy
Puppy
KembasWalker

Male Join date : 2013-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Husky one of the "manliest" breeds   Husky one of the "manliest" breeds EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 11:36 pm

I saw this too... I (a guy) seem to think the need to exercise also creates this image... I couldn't tell you how many times I've ran in extreme weather just to get his exercise... Ran during downpours, flooding, slush, late night, early morning, snow etc... Always get looked at like I'm crazy...
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Husky one of the "manliest" breeds   Husky one of the "manliest" breeds EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 11:44 pm

Ben, extremely bad weather days are why the lord created Petsmart (or petco, where ever else a dog can be walked indoors). Now I'll get my manly dog and get in my manly Hummer and hope the women don't know I suffer from small penis inferiority.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Husky one of the "manliest" breeds   Husky one of the "manliest" breeds EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 11:50 pm

Haha, excellent Hughie.
Back to top Go down
KembasWalker
Puppy
Puppy
KembasWalker

PostSubject: Re: Husky one of the "manliest" breeds   Husky one of the "manliest" breeds EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 11:53 pm

Lol I prefer my lifted jeep.
Back to top Go down
Ausibe
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Husky one of the "manliest" breeds   Husky one of the "manliest" breeds EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 11:57 pm

I'm also surprised rotwielers aren't on the list, i don't know about america but in australia they're seen as the i need to asert my manhood dog.

also one of my best mates has a staffy so i'm going to show him that link and tease him Very Happy thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Husky one of the "manliest" breeds   Husky one of the "manliest" breeds EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 9:44 am

I always am on yahoo reading this top 10 dog things. And everyone before like top 10 smartest, or top 10 most active, etc. i was always disappointed to never see a husky. Then this one came out and i was kind of like this is pointless.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Husky one of the "manliest" breeds   Husky one of the "manliest" breeds EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 10:18 am

That article is pretty funny and so is this discussion. Basically, until college I was a serious tom boy. I skiid semi competitively, had a lifted jeep, ran daily (6+ miles), all my friends were guys or ski buddies, and, of course, there was my husky. Eventually I came around and am now on the more feminine spectrum in terms of style and attitude, but that Colorado tom boy is still hiding under my NYC chic.

Of all the things I thought made me 'cool' and 'tough' I never thought of my husky as one of them (well maybe cool ha ha). I got her when I was 15 and in the definite tom boy phase, and honestly, she made me feel like a wild woman. There is nothing more beautiful and inspiring than seeing a husky in ecstasy while in a full out run, and nothing more freeing than running with (behind) one. For me at least, she brought out my more wild and primal nature.

Looking back, I have to smile at my silliness of youth, but Tasha was the best thing in my life for a long time and I still feel deeply connected to her. She meant the world to me, and changed me, and taught me so much. She kind of saved me. I know a lot of men that couldn't have put up with her, and I know a lot of women that wouldn't have, but she was my girl. Dogs are dogs and to say a 'breed' is manly or girly is just anthropomorphism. If someone gets a dog to portray an image of manliness, they've got issues.
Back to top Go down
MattV
Newborn
Newborn
MattV

Male Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Husky one of the "manliest" breeds   Husky one of the "manliest" breeds EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 9:19 pm

KembasWalker wrote:
I saw this too... I (a guy) seem to think the need to exercise also creates this image... I couldn't tell you how many times I've ran in extreme weather just to get his exercise... Ran during downpours, flooding, slush, late night, early morning, snow etc... Always get looked at like I'm crazy...

Or chastised by others for "making" the "poor dog" go outside when it's rainy and cold...
Back to top Go down
KembasWalker
Puppy
Puppy
KembasWalker

PostSubject: Re: Husky one of the "manliest" breeds   Husky one of the "manliest" breeds EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 9:42 pm

True but the nastier it is outside the more I think he enjoys it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky one of the "manliest" breeds   Husky one of the "manliest" breeds Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky one of the "manliest" breeds

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1