It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Tolerance of other breeds

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
browneyedangel74
Newborn
Newborn

Tolerance of other breeds Empty
PostSubject: Tolerance of other breeds   Tolerance of other breeds EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 3:16 am

Hello all! My name is Angel and I am new to this forum. I grew up with Huskies and German Shepards but, not simultaneously. I am looking at some beautiful red pups right now and I do believe I am SOLD on them! lol.....My only concern is, I have a 7 year old Boston Terrier (male, neutered) and a 5 year old Shepard/Rottweiler mix (female, spayed), I was wondering how this 8 week old puppy will fit in with them in ways of temperament. Should I choose male or female? My 2 get along great with each other and although my female is a bully and tries to steal food and toys, my male is the dominant one (if you believe the whole mutt and Jeff thing lol). So, does anyone have any suggestions for me? Any would be greatly appreciated................Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Tolerance of other breeds   Tolerance of other breeds EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 7:48 am

Hey, welcome to the forum! I have absolutely no advice i can give you so all i came to say was Hello Smile
Back to top Go down
Togo
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2011-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Tolerance of other breeds   Tolerance of other breeds EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:23 am

Hello!

I am not sure whether you should get a female or male puppy, really I think that's something you need to discuss with your breeder.

You definitely need to find a reputable and ethical breeder, you want a dog that will have correct temperament living with two other dogs. Siberians usually get along with other dogs really well, but that may exclude back yard bred siberians.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Tolerance of other breeds   Tolerance of other breeds EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:28 am

A female or male shouldn't really matter as long as you get the right fit for your pack. The best option would be to take your current dogs to meet the pups and see how they are around them and you may find that they pick the pup out for you. I had already picked out Willow but I made sure Dakota got to meet the pups when I went to pick her up and she was the one that kept following him around so it worked out for us.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Tolerance of other breeds   Tolerance of other breeds EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 12:41 pm

Welcome! Our 1st husky picked out our 2nd husky, too - most rescues insist you bring your existing dogs to make sure everyone gets along.

What part of the country do you live in? Our members are from all over and can help you pick a reputable breeder or rescue! Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Tolerance of other breeds   Tolerance of other breeds EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 1:13 pm

26nikita wrote:
A female or male shouldn't really matter as long as you get the right fit for your pack. The best option would be to take your current dogs to meet the pups and see how they are around them and you may find that they pick the pup out for you.

Ditto, the sex of the new addition does not matter as much as matching personality/temperament, etc. I'd definitely have your current pack meet the new addition before making a firm commitment to bring home a new individual. However almost any dog can learn to fit in with a pack, just some may take more time and work/training than others.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Tolerance of other breeds   Tolerance of other breeds EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 1:57 pm

Welcome! Love them Reds Wink

i would agree to take your current dogs to meet the pups and see how it works out. i would say to maybe lean towards a male since your female tends to be a bully, and as a female pup you might not have issues but when that female grows up it might cause some issues. but maybe not, it just seems there is more issues with female/female pairs then male/female.
keep us posted, cant wait to hear how it turn out!

PostSubject: Re: Tolerance of other breeds   Tolerance of other breeds Empty

Back to top Go down

Tolerance of other breeds

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1