It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

tethering how long?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hrangelotti
Teenager
Teenager
hrangelotti

Female Join date : 2013-10-20

tethering how long? Empty
PostSubject: tethering how long?   tethering how long? EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 6:44 pm

so Samoa is four months old and i still tether her to me most of the time. there are times i will let her run free in the house but as soon as i do she'll go straight to getting into trouble hehe. which i know is typical of her age and will only get worse into her teen years. what she does to get into trouble is basically she will terrorize my older dog or get into the cat littler.. now i found a solution for the cat litter and that is just putting a baby gate up for now but i'm not sure how to keep her from terrorizing my older dog. it's to the point that he doesn't even really want her near him because she can't be near him without jumping onto his back and attacking him playfully not aggressively. but my old dog just doesn't want to play. i think the only solution is to take her in the morning on extremely long walks i'm talking like an hour or more?even when she wears out at the dog park for an hour or so she'll still do it. ill pull her off of him all the time and tell her no! leave it.hoping she gets it soon to leave him alone. if not i'll have to keep her tethered to me for who knows how long.. anyway has anybody else had this problem? and how long til they eventually understood not to pick on the other pets in the house? thanks!
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: tethering how long?   tethering how long? EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 8:18 pm

Loki was butthead to both my dogs for awhile. Dom would snap at him and it stopped pretty quickly. The most Loki will do now is woo about 3 ft away from him which is when we grab a toy to redirect him. Lexi was horrible though as she put up with Loki. I was so scared for her since I knew he had to be bothering her. Once he hit about 7 months Lexi did start correcting his bad manners herself by showing her teeth or growling.

Is your other dog reacting to the bad behavior or just dealing with it? If loki is bothering my other pets it usually just means he has some energy to burn and it is walk time or play time. With Lexi we let a lot go since she started acting like his mother in a lot of ways. But with Dom we usually interject if loki is or was acting badly.
Back to top Go down
hrangelotti
Teenager
Teenager
hrangelotti

PostSubject: Re: tethering how long?   tethering how long? EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 8:29 pm

my older dog will show his teeth and snap at samoa but not try to pin her or make her stop. sometimes he'll cry if she bites him too hard. but samoa is usually on top of him at this point biting and trying to play. when he goes to bite her or snap at her she turns and puts her side or butt near his face to avoid the interaction but at the same time she's biting his paws or something. normally this is happening when my old dog is laying down sleeping which he does about 90 percent of the time lol my poor old man. so i just tether her to me to avoid it now since toby, my old dog, now can't have her near him without getting anxious that she is going to aggravate him. he just doesn't want to play but she doesn't seem to get it.he's a whippet btw. so his personality is very laid back and sweet natured whereas Samoa being a husky puppy is very playful and crazy right now and will definitely get worse as she becomes a teenager.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: tethering how long?   tethering how long? EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 9:22 pm

Sounds more like my dog Dom. He is a lab but very much so a senior at 12 who just wants to relax. We still have to watch them unless loki is sleeping. I do not tether but we restrict to a few rooms and I keep a ear out. More exercise does help reduce it but limit walks to 20 minutes at a time. So maybe 3-4 walks a day not one long one. Puppies should only ho about 5 min for each month.
Back to top Go down
hrangelotti
Teenager
Teenager
hrangelotti

PostSubject: Re: tethering how long?   tethering how long? EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 9:25 pm

thanks for the advice on the walks i will do that then instead of a long one Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Wellll Poopers!   tethering how long? EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 10:04 pm

So when is a dog no longer a puppy? We adopted Ami at somewhere between 10 and 12 mo -3 months ago. We have worked up to at least 3 miles in AM and 2 miles in late afternoon or evening - sometimes total of 6 miles. All walking with a semi-old lady about 3.2mph (as fast as my short stubby legs will take me, though lately, it may be faster because sometimes Ami is trotting along and not interested in ditch-grubbing.).. Is this too much for him? Is daily occurrence except maybe only 1 walk once every 7 - 10 days (my knees are creaky!)
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: tethering how long?   tethering how long? EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 2:46 pm

amymeme wrote:
So when is a dog no longer a puppy?  We adopted Ami at somewhere between 10 and 12 mo -3 months ago.  We have worked up to at least 3 miles in AM and 2 miles in late afternoon or evening - sometimes total of 6 miles.  All walking with a semi-old lady about 3.2mph (as fast as my short stubby legs will take me, though lately, it may be faster because sometimes Ami is trotting along and not interested in ditch-grubbing.).. Is this too much for him?  Is daily occurrence except maybe only 1 walk once every 7 - 10 days (my knees are creaky!)

Well it seems most Huskys are puppies until about an hour before they drop dead of old age! People see my girl and they can't believe she is an older dog.
It sounds like the walks might be harder on you than Ami! I am wondering if you are able to ride a bike and still feel confident of controlling Ami? A serious question since a fall you could be really painful. Or could you maybe find a three wheel bike? A bike (or trike) would up your speed and distance and help tucker the little girl out. Another alternative might be if you know someone younger who either runs or bikes that might take an interest helping you get some more vigorous exercise for Ami.
I hope this helps in giving you some more ideas.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: tethering how long?   tethering how long? EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 2:56 pm

THanks - actually, I'm going to gift myself a walky dog this spring - right now we are working on whoa, gee, haw and on-by. Quite productively this proud mama said! When I'm too creaky for 2 walks - I play with him on his 100ft overhead trolley. He likes the soccer ball, the tennis ball and his tuggie! And squeeky is the best!! (Though that cat looks awfully good, too!)

I did have my 24 year old son take him for long hike shortly after we got Ami - only to find out (painfully Mad ) that the human brat had taught the canine monkey to jump ditches!!! New meaning to the term faceplant!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tethering how long?   tethering how long? Empty

Back to top Go down

tethering how long?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1