It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Undescended Testicle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tdmoore44
Newborn
Newborn
tdmoore44

Male Join date : 2014-01-15

Undescended Testicle  Empty
PostSubject: Undescended Testicle    Undescended Testicle  EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 3:00 pm

Hello,

Deacon has one undescended testicle. The vet says it is fine and the other one still might drop. He is only 3 months old. Will this have any effect on his growth or behavior if it doesn't drop? My wife and I plan on getting him neutered at around 6 months, but until then should I be worried at all?

Thanks,

Trent
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Undescended Testicle    Undescended Testicle  EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 3:10 pm

You should not be worried as far as behavior and all that goes. I think all of the huskies that I have heard has developed normally. I would not get it done at 6 months though. Wait, let it grow, and then make a plan. I would say as close to a year as possible, will be safer.
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Undescended Testicle    Undescended Testicle  EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Best person to talk to is Jen (wpskier222). Dizzy has one and is getting neutered this weekend if I remember right.
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Undescended Testicle    Undescended Testicle  EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 3:25 pm

Don't worry, Orion had this as well. I waited until after it had dropped to have him neutered (It took until he was 9 months) although to be honest I would have waited to have him neutered regardless just to give him a bit of extra time to mature mentally. It is remarkably common in this breed for a condition that is supposed to be rare, I know of a few other dogs who have gone through the same thing - some do descend later others don't, it kind of depends where the testicle is located though as to whether it will come down but either way they can safely neuter so it shouldn't be an issue. Adorable boy you have there by the way! Smile
Back to top Go down
tdmoore44
Newborn
Newborn
tdmoore44

PostSubject: Re: Undescended Testicle    Undescended Testicle  EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Ok, we will wait longer to neuter then. I am glad to hear that it's not just a problem with Deacon, and that others have had experience with this. Thanks for all the advice!

Trent
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Undescended Testicle    Undescended Testicle  EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi Trent. Yes, my pup has a retained testicle, and yes he's getting neutered tomorrow. I really wanted to wait until he was a year old, but decided to just get it done. I haven't been able to take him to the dog park because he keeps getting picked on by neutered males. Apparently its a smell thing. Anyway, his social skills were kind of suffering because of this and I really want to be able to send him back to daycare. He is 10.5 months.

It won't have any effect on his growth or behavior, he really isn't going to start going through puberty until around 7-8 months of age. You will know when it starts lol. I definitely recommend waiting as long as you can, some even recommend waiting up to 18 months. For your puppy, there is still a chance it could drop, which would be great. Your vet might try to scare you into neutering early because of the retained testicle, but do your own research, read up on it and decide from there. Also the big risk of not neutering a cryptorchid dog is an increase in testicular cancer. The chances of that developing between the age of 6-18 months is slim to none, so you aren't putting your puppy at an increased risk. Of course, there are other issues cryptorchidism can cause, but nothing that should make you feel in a rush to neuter. I think it's better to let a puppy physically develop before neutering. It also allows the retained testicle to grow a little bit so it's easier to find when you do decide to neuter him.

I can update you and let you know how his neuter goes tomorrow, but at this point, you have nothing to worry about. It's still important to neuter with this condition, but there is no rush. Smile
Back to top Go down
tdmoore44
Newborn
Newborn
tdmoore44

PostSubject: Re: Undescended Testicle    Undescended Testicle  EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Yeah, I hope it ends up dropping to help the procedure when the time comes. He still needs one more round of shots before we take him to the dog parks, but we will see how that goes in the months to come. Hopefully it doesn't develop into a problem because of the smell. We will wait as long as we can to get him neutered due to all the helpful info I have received here. Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Undescended Testicle    Undescended Testicle  Empty

Back to top Go down

Undescended Testicle

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1