It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?! Empty
PostSubject: 7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?!   7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?! EmptyThu Sep 13, 2018 4:59 pm

What's up guys!
This is my first post and i'm excited to be a part of this forum.

I am buying a Siberian husky from a breeder and had some concerns and if you could help me out, i'd really appreciate it!

It is a 7½ week old male, and the breeder told me when they took him to the vet for a final examination, the vet said everything is healthy, except only one of the testicles hasn't descended yet. The vet said they couldn't locate it, and the breeder said they didn't want to do a further examination because it was so common.

I plan to neuter him but i'm afraid if i end up buying the husky and the testicle doesn't drop, I'll have a massive bill on my hands, for the additional surgery...Or worse the dog will develop cancer.

Should I look for another husky? I really came to like this specific one, and was looking forward to buying him, but I don't want to spend lots of money because of this issue.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: 7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?!   7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?! EmptyThu Sep 13, 2018 5:20 pm

Quick google search says some vets will wait until 6 months to do surgery.

When we took our male to get neutered, the paperwork said there would be an additional $100 charge for a cryptorchid dog. While it wasn't an issue with our dog, we didn't consider the additional charge to be that bad.
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: 7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?!   7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?! EmptyThu Sep 13, 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks for the advice!

$100 sounds very reasonable, but what if the testicle ends up being deeper in the abdomen, will the price vary? I just don't want to end up paying $1000.

How common is this issue among huskies, should the other testicle descend over time?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: 7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?!   7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?! EmptyThu Sep 13, 2018 8:49 pm

I did a quick search on the forum for cryptorchid and there are a few hits that you might find interesting.

I didn't much more than glance at Googles returns to make sure they were appropriate so who knows what you'[ll find out there.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: 7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?!   7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?! EmptyThu Sep 13, 2018 9:45 pm

It should fall under the breeders health guarantee. Read the health guarantee of your breeder to see if it applies. One of my past Huskies had this condition and the breeder did indeed pay for the surgery.
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: 7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?!   7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?! EmptyThu Sep 13, 2018 10:28 pm

Artic_Wind wrote:
It should fall under the breeders health guarantee. Read the health guarantee of your breeder to see if it applies. One of my past Huskies had this condition and the breeder did indeed pay for the surgery.

Thanks!.
How much additional cost did it cost you, to neuter your dog with this condition?
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: 7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?!   7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?! EmptyFri Sep 14, 2018 12:41 pm

dinf22 wrote:
Artic_Wind wrote:

Thanks!.
How much additional cost did it cost you, to neuter your dog with this condition?

Too many years have gone by for me to remember but your best bet is to just call vets in your area, describe the scenario and get quotes/estimated costs. That way you are getting today's prices rather than relying on information that may be years old.
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: 7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?!   7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?! EmptyFri Sep 14, 2018 8:12 pm

Guys, kind of an off topic question and couldn't find an answer to it,
but is it safe for me to use some sort of comb on a 8 week old puppy? I want to get him in the habit of being combed daily. There are so many to choose from, slicker brush, pin rush, undercoat rake etc.
And i'm not sure whats safe for the skin and what isn't.

What would you guys recommend and how often?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: 7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?!   7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?! EmptyFri Sep 14, 2018 8:43 pm

I won't make a recommendation as to which to use, others here have preferences but I just use a slicker on my mess.

This is kind of an off topic answer to your off topic question - "Raise your puppy now to be the dog you want it to become."
If you want to be able to brush it when he needs it, not just when it's "beyond repair" then teaching him now to enjoy being brushed is the way to go. Plenty of patience and plenty of treats for good behaviour as you get the gnarls out of his hair.

Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: 7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?!   7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?! EmptyFri Sep 14, 2018 8:45 pm

aljones wrote:
I won't make a recommendation as to which to use, others here have preferences but I just use a slicker on my mess.

This is kind of an off topic answer to your off topic question - "Raise your puppy now to be the dog you want it to become."
If you want to be able to brush it when he needs it, not just when it's "beyond repair" then teaching him now to enjoy being brushed is the way to go.  Plenty of patience and plenty of treats for good behaviour as you get the gnarls out of his hair.

Always sold advice from you!Thanks!

That's a good point, I was just worried I might irritate the puppies skin.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: 7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?!   7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?! EmptyFri Sep 14, 2018 10:55 pm

dinf22 wrote:

That's a good point, I was just worried I might irritate the puppies skin.

<< laughing >> Don't worry, if you get too rough, he'll let you know!

Avalanche - my big Alaskan husky - reaches around and just grabs the brush (and my hand) to say "Enough!" doesn't bite, just makes the point.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?!   7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?! Empty

Back to top Go down

7½ Week old has an undescended testicle!?!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1