It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Advice on cheap/home made chews?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
riggaberto
Puppy
Puppy
riggaberto

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

home - Advice on cheap/home made chews? Empty
PostSubject: Advice on cheap/home made chews?   home - Advice on cheap/home made chews? EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 8:42 pm

So far I've been lucky that Chuck hasn't been very destructive, despite not getting much attention for 6-8 hours a day while I'm gone. I think a part of it has to do with all the chews I give him, some during the boredom time, some not. I probably give him about 3-4 a week, but I just dont want to sustain that expense any more.

Does anyone have advice on some of the most affordable chews out there? Whether that's because they're long lasting or cheap or both, or even home made, I'm open to it.

We have a great chain of good pet stores called Mud Bay in Washington and they sell all kinds of good chews but like I said, just too much $.

Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cheap/home made chews?   home - Advice on cheap/home made chews? EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 12:51 am

I bought a dehydrated at Bed Bath n Beyond and have done dehydrated sweet potatoes and other fruits and veggies. After nine months I am still trial and error to get the potatoes to chewy but cheap in season is great. So 50-60 for the dehydrator then the 1.50 in food bulk is close to one bag of sweet potatoes in store (10$). I did dries liver and stunk myself out of the house but gotta try it outside eventually. Plus I have made my own snack for me. Also I think I am gonna try making jerky. Definately saving money on each bag I am not spending $10 on.

riggaberto
Puppy
Puppy
riggaberto

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cheap/home made chews?   home - Advice on cheap/home made chews? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 1:13 am

Hmm, Chuck will go through a sweet potato chew in about 5 minutes :/
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cheap/home made chews?   home - Advice on cheap/home made chews? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 1:51 am

Was not sure how chewy you could make them.....yeah it might not be long enough duration

seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cheap/home made chews?   home - Advice on cheap/home made chews? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 3:57 am

Longevity is gonna require things like antlers and horns which you might get cheap from local butchers or slaughter houses.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cheap/home made chews?   home - Advice on cheap/home made chews? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 9:55 am

If you get a kong, you can stuff it with his kibble even. Thats whay i did for a long time with koda as a toy. I would stuff his kibble and run water through it for a few seconds then put it in the freezer over night. That would last koda 30-45min of play usually
Back to top Go down
riggaberto
Puppy
Puppy
riggaberto

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cheap/home made chews?   home - Advice on cheap/home made chews? EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 8:19 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Longevity is gonna require things like antlers and horns which you might get cheap from local butchers or slaughter houses.  

He's not super into the ones I've gotten him so far, but that might change if it was all he got!

Do you happen to know offhand if they require any sort of treatment prior to giving them to the dog or whether they're simply 'raw'?

Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cheap/home made chews?   home - Advice on cheap/home made chews? EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 2:48 am

riggaberto wrote:

seattlesibe wrote:

He's not super into the ones I've gotten him so far, but that might change if it was all he got!  

Do you happen to know offhand if they require any sort of treatment prior to giving them to the dog or whether they're simply 'raw'?  

tbh not entirely sure on that, i get deer antlers for free from a guy at work (they're just scrap to him, and luckily i got a 6 month supply from him this year woo) blu seems to like them and hasnt caused any problems yet.... so maybe?

have you looked into bully sticks or pig ears? one ear use to last blu about a week when he was a pup.

Back to top Go down
Hollyfrost
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cheap/home made chews?   home - Advice on cheap/home made chews? EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 4:09 am

Clm wrote:

have you looked into bully sticks or pig ears? one ear use to last blu about a week when he was a pup.

Lucky you! A pig ear only lasted 30 minutes here (if even that!) when he was 4 months old Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cheap/home made chews?   home - Advice on cheap/home made chews? Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice on cheap/home made chews?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1