It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Advice wanted to condition Ami for biking

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Advice wanted to condition Ami for biking Empty
PostSubject: Advice wanted to condition Ami for biking   Advice wanted to condition Ami for biking EmptyTue May 20, 2014 2:34 pm

I finally attached my walkie dog to my bike. I'm ready to break my neck Laughing 

The question is - how fast to increase Ami's exercise. When we got him 7 months ago, he had been in the shelter for a month, had walks with volunteers and daily time out of his kennel in fenced in area about 800 sf. Before that, and the reason he was seized, he was on 5 ft tether to post, in full sun, neglected, little hair, poor nutrition, and no exercise. When we adopted him, I was pretty fragile, exercise-wise so we were a good match - started with 1/2 mile at a time, now we do up to 4 miles at once, usually 3-3.5 on one walk and 2 ish on the second. He also gets some run around time in the back yard most days (if too swampy and rainy, its a no-go). But, he has never, as far as I know, had any sustained running/trotting. Our walks, at best are 3.5 mph maybe and occasionaly spurt of up to 4mph (I have very short legs Sad and that's the best I can do - I've done some brief running with him but had to stop as it aggravated the stenosis in my back).

Back in the day, I would bike 10-15 miles at a time. Other than "listen to my dog" as hubby says, any guidelines on time and distance for starting and rate of increase?

Our mornings will be only in high 40's low 50's for at least the next month so temperature is not yet a huge concern.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Advice wanted to condition Ami for biking   Advice wanted to condition Ami for biking EmptyTue May 20, 2014 3:05 pm

I'm just starting to run with Dizzy and right now we do 2 miles at a time at a trotting/loping pace for him. We take a short break midway through for squirrel hunting, and then run the rest. I notice him starting to lag the last quarter mile or so. I would guess, roughly, about a 10-11 minute mile. I would say start out at whatever pace he wants to go, which I'm guessing will be fast! He will run himself out pretty quickly at first though, so try and pick a short loop so you can head home easily when he gets tired. Dizzy didn't know the meaning of pace at first. He would just run as fast as he possible could, dragging me along and wear out fast. Now we go a decent pace, but he still tires fast.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Advice wanted to condition Ami for biking   Advice wanted to condition Ami for biking EmptyTue May 20, 2014 4:27 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
I'm just starting to run with Dizzy and right now we do 2 miles at a time at a trotting/loping pace for him. We take a short break midway through for squirrel hunting, and then run the rest. I notice him starting to lag the last quarter mile or so. I would guess, roughly, about a 10-11 minute mile. I would say start out at whatever pace he wants to go, which I'm guessing will be fast! He will run himself out pretty quickly at first though, so try and pick a short loop so you can head home easily when he gets tired. Dizzy didn't know the meaning of pace at first. He would just run as fast as he possible could, dragging me along and wear out fast. Now we go a decent pace, but he still tires fast.

So, in the first 5 minutes, he'll try to kill me lol!  Then he'll be pooped and saunter along at a manageable pace 'til I have to walk the bike home? I can manage that.

Thanks, Jen.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Advice wanted to condition Ami for biking   Advice wanted to condition Ami for biking EmptyTue May 20, 2014 4:29 pm

Yep! Pretty much! LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice wanted to condition Ami for biking   Advice wanted to condition Ami for biking Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice wanted to condition Ami for biking

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1