It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I have puppy fever....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

I have puppy fever.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I have puppy fever....   I have puppy fever.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 08, 2014 5:01 pm

Phew, catching up here. I keep having to change gears today. All dog related. having problems getting heartworm med.

Ashleigh, this byb has no idea about bettering the breed. He loves his dogs and wants to share their pretty features and if trained right their mellow demeanor. I don't not support the byb ideology, whether here or anywhere. There are many poor people in this community, in this country, who fall in love with a specific breed, they know there are great breeders, but feel they can not get a puppy because of cost, hence where the byb's exist. I wanted to put that out there, many poor folks think they can't afford a great breeder. Again, I don't encourage this or agree with this. I've had my poor days and knew I could afford to care and feed any type of dog just didn't think I could afford getting one from a breeder that did all the right things. I want this forum to better understand why the byb's still exist. It's a vicious cycle. I'm not even talking on the byb's end of making money, sure the one I went to made some, Miya was $125. I'm talking the people who never find this forum, people who want a puppy, I know there are way too many puppies, but people want them. How do we as a forum community help educate those who are not here on this forum? This problem predates most of us, this has been going on for decades. People want a puppy for their kids, most people fall into two trains of thought, a great breeder charging x amount of dollars are showing their dogs at AKC events. Then there's the rest of the world who love a certain breed, want their kid to have a puppy, they go to the local byb and get that pup. It's really cut and dry to most people. I however, fell in love with my girl, had questions, did my research and then found this forum. What happen to me was, I was mad, most of your dogs are way closer to standard. I at times feel like I mislead people in saying she's a husky, even had her listed with the vet as a husky/mix, because clearly I knew what breed standard is. Most people don't care. I do!! I want the happiest, healthiest and best husky there ever is. Yes my girl so far does fit this, it still bugs me that she is over standard.

Jen, thank you for the photos, I adore and want the next to last pic "racing" dog, that is the ideal husky to me, color, size, overall look. Niraya, thank you for delving in here and explaining more. AMB does not have a lot of updated photos, Yukon is very handsome. Liz's Layla is gorgeous and gave me more insight, and a better appreciation to the black and white husky.

For what its worth, I chose this thread for a number of reasons, not just because I was trying to validate getting Miya. I was truly unaware. I wanted to have a discussion on breeders as well as the differences on huskies, to better figure out what my next pup will be. I also wanted to share with others, to educate others on the pitfalls of byb's and why buying from a reputable breeder gives you better assurances. Lastly I wanted to point out that just because some of us don't have the best bred stock, doesn't make our huskies less of a husky, they still possess the beauty and incredible smartness of the breed.

Renee
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: I have puppy fever....   I have puppy fever.... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Oh Renee, believe me I understand! I live in south Louisiana so we have a very similar problem here too. I can't even look at those pet swap/sell/trade pages on Facebook because it disgusts me to see people breeding and giving puppies away at 4 weeks old and various other unethical practices.

I learned a ton on the forum when I joined too. This forum especially taught me a ton about reputable breeders, health testing, working dogs, etc. I realized after joining and learning that I didn't necessarily make the best choice with Mishka's breeder either. Do I regret getting a puppy from them, definitely not, but would I get a puppy from them again. No. And price doesn't necessarily make a difference on quality. I have seen people spend THOUSANDS of dollars on dogs that have come from horrible BYBs and puppy mills whereas they could have spent $700 on a puppy from a highly reputable breeder.

I understand that there are people who know no better and don't have the means or tools to learn (and sometimes don't have the desire to either). I wish there was way to get that information out to people so they can learn and understand what they are supporting.

MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: I have puppy fever....   I have puppy fever.... - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 1:03 am

Ashleigh, thank you. Today was a tough one for me, that's why I was so mad. The hardest part for me is the difficulties of medicating Miya, if she was breed standard I could dose her with medium size dogs, i.e. heart worm meds medium size is 25-50 pounds, standard husky would fit this. Miya at my best guess is 60-70. No big deal if the 50-100 pound med is available, and it's not atm. the 25-50 is. What do I do, give her two 25-50 or one and a half? Because that's what I ended up getting so she wouldn't miss a dose, it will still be 4 or 5 days late, but through this forum, I know I have a 10-15 day window, even the pharmacy tech was surprised I knew this. Comfortis is another one believe the dosing is 40-60 pounds and 60-100, at the time she was around 60 pounds, which one do I give her, vet insisted I go with 60-100. All 4 vets hate me and Miya, all I ask from them was to weigh her because I didn't want to over medicate her, huskies are sensitive, they looked at me with the face of "she's just a dog lady, just give it to her". I'm beyond frustrated. They charged me $15 to write a script because I wanted to go with Iverheart max vs Heartguard plus. Why did I want to switch you ask, because they didn't, it's because they never tested her for worms and had a 3 inch tape worm on her, they charged me $22 for one pill and never told me if she should get a follow up pill. Iverheart has the tape worm med in it as well. They charge $44 dollars for 6 months of Heartguard Plus vs Walmart charging $32 for Iverheart Max. He tells me next time she gets worms just come in and get a pill. Does that sound like he cares about my girl? Sounds more like he wants money and not preventing her from getting something. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, had to rant. If anyone reads this, especially this last post and is a lurker thinking of going to a byb, please don't. It's plain old agony.

Renee
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have puppy fever....   I have puppy fever.... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

I have puppy fever....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2