It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA Empty
PostSubject: Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA   Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 1:01 pm

Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA Whiteh13
Whitehorse Mt. from Highway 530

My brother and I visited relatives in Marblemount, WA, last week.
We stayed in a motel and did three day hikes.

On the drive up, the mountains hid in fog.
Some backpackers we met told us it had snowed up high the night before.

But Thursday morning dawned clear and we headed up to Hidden Lake Lookout.
After a long, steep narrow road approach, he trail switchbacks up in a forest.
Then it ascends a vertical meadow and crosses Sibley Creek several times.
Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA Sibley10
vertical meadow below Sibley Creek Pass

Near the top of the meadow, the trail traverses heather and tarns across rocks.
Some snow is still in gullies as the trail ascends the pass.
The lookout comes into sight atop a precipice to the SE.
Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA Lookou10
Hidden Lake Lookout

At the pass, we entered North Cascades National Park.
I had not brought Bodhi because I did not want a ticket entering the park with him.
However several dog owners I met on the trail told me they had inquired at the park headquarters about dogs and were told the prohibition was not enforced for the 1/4 mile up to the lookout.

Crossing over to east side of the pass exposes Hidden Lake with Eldorado and Boston Basin beyond.
What a view!
Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA Hidden10
Hidden Lake, Eldorado Mt. and the Boston Basin

From the pass, the trail switchbacks up on dirt ledges to the east shoulder of the peak.
When we reached the shoulder, we climbed over big boulders to the summit.
Dogs couldn't make it from this point, so I guess it was OK I hadn't brought Bodhi.
We saw a small dog that had been carried to the summit, and two that couldn't navigate the boulder climbing.

The lookout has amazing views.
It is decommissioned, but maintained by volunteers.
A couple and professional photographer who had spent the night were just leaving when we arrived.
They had taken engagement photos as the sun rose over peaks to the east and the Stehekin Valley.
We channelled our inner Jack Kerouac as we ate lunch.
Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA Mark10
in the lookout

The descent off Hidden Peak had rendered our legs rubbery, so the next day we opted for a woods walk.
We walked four miles  and returned down relatively flat Thunder Creek in the North Cascades NRA.
It was quiet and beautiful.
We saw very few people.
I could have brought Bodhi here too, because dogs are allowed in NRA's.
Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA Thunde10
Thunder Creek

On our last day, our legs were fine, but we we constrained by time as we had to check out of our motel and return to Seattle.
The motel let us store our duffle bags and cooler.
We drove a couple miles down Highway 20 to Rockport, and then the long gravel road to the trailhead for Sauk Mt.
This is a short and very popular hike that I have done several times before.
We started at nine.

A big group of 12 was above us on the switchbacks that we could see all the way to the summit ridge from the parking lot.
We met four bear hunters returning to their trucks, discouraged that so many hikers were on the trail.
We had no idea it was bear season, and didn't have any blaze orange.

Mindful that a hiker had been mistakenly killed by teenage bear hunters on Sauk Mt. in 2008, we were glad they turned around.
However, we were a little skittish as we could hear shooting in the woods below us as we hiked.
Every hiker we passed seemed to have a dog.
This hike was in a national forest where dogs are allowed.

The trail winds upward in a series of switchbacks, generally facing south and east above the Skagit River.
Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA M310
my bro, Three Fingers Mt. and the Skagit River

This slope is a riot of wildflowers (and black flies) earlier in the season, but was dried out and flowers were winding down.
At the top of the switchback slope, the trail attains the ridge and winds around a shoulder dotted with firs.
Views open up to the north and Sauk Lake below.
Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA Sauk_l11
Sauk Lake

Then the trail ascends to the north through crumbly rock to the site of a former lookout.
Mt. Baker is prominent to the NW.
Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA B210
2 bros on top with Mt. Baker in background

The Picket Range can be seen in the distant far north.
Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA Picket10
Picket Range

After lunch on the summit, we scurried down to my truck, passing myriads starting up in the mid-day heat.
Then we returned to the motel, picked up our stuff and drove to Seattle via Highway 20 and I-5.
Thai food and beer is always a good combo after hiking!

The take-away from this trip is that I probably could have brought Bodhi.
It wasn't too hot for him, and I could have taken him on all the hikes.
He might not have made the summit at Hidden Lake, but my brother and I could have taken turns at going for the top.
All in all, it was an excellent hiking adventure.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA   Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 1:07 pm

Oh Michael - what wonderful pictures.  Enough to make me ponder moving out west...though there are the grandchildren here...

Funny you should mention Jack Kerouac - I mentioned him to hubby during a movie the other night, and hubby being a youngster, relatively, I had to explain who Kerouac was...I'm getting old Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA   Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 3:04 pm

I love your trip updates and that picture of Hidden Lake, Eldorado Mt. and the Boston Basin is fantastic! nice to see you in some pictures as well Wink

sucks you could have brought Bodhi but it was good you erred in caution unlike me a few weeks ago taking my 2 up something they should not have been on and cost me the summit Sad

Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA   Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 1:08 pm

Jen: You didn't make any comments about my cool new hat!
Everyone in my family has been kidding me about it.

I've a problem with sun lotion dripping into my eyes when I sweat.
Then I can't see, and my eyes burn the rest of the day.
My dermatologist said to get a hat with a big brim.
Then I don't have to put the lotion on my forehead (except when I am on snow).
Works.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA   Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 1:51 pm

I guess its cause i have a cool hat just like that and its the norm here in CO Smile

i always use a super-sport sunscreen that should not run and or burn my eyes, that is the worst.

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA   Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA Empty

Back to top Go down

Hiking without Dogs: Marblemount, WA

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1