It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Just Brought Home Rescue Adoption-- Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PatrickDavisKnows
Newborn
Newborn
PatrickDavisKnows

Female Join date : 2014-09-14

Just Brought Home Rescue Adoption-- Help Empty
PostSubject: Just Brought Home Rescue Adoption-- Help   Just Brought Home Rescue Adoption-- Help EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 7:43 pm

So Timber has arrived-  5 yr old Dixie dog.

She's very vocal in her crate, but she has taken to laying down intermittently and has had a few quiet spells.

As of right now I've brought the crate into the dining room next to me as I type.  She seems to need the contact.

Two kids under twelve, over nine- she's awesome with them.

She's a runner, she's already escaped today once.  Other than, she's pretty good except...

She's deathly afraid of me.  She's doing much better with me right now, because I'm next to her and passing small, high value treats through the cage when she stops freaking out.

Any tips or tricks?  Major things to look out for with a bitch?  Are they really food conscious (i.e., table sniffers and trash eaters)?  How about CHICKENS-- we have some.  Should we be worried.  Let us know.

Looking forward to this next dog journey.  Any advice you can give about from-the-shelter transition or stray-to-home transition is helpful.

Patrick
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Just Brought Home Rescue Adoption-- Help   Just Brought Home Rescue Adoption-- Help EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 8:08 pm

More than likely the chickens will be a no no. Chickens, cats, small dogs I would proceed with caution. Huskies have a huge prey drive and small animals are unsafe unless the dog has been worked with rigorously from a pup to be good with them. How long have you had her? Biggest thing.g is it will take time for her to settle in and her nerves to calm. What you're doing with the treats to get her associating good things with you is a good start. Walking her and positive enforcement training will also help the two of you bond and her build trust. If you use the search button at the top and look up crate training there are several threads that should help you ease her into liking her crate and not freaking out. As for escaping, exercise, exercise, exercise and never let her out unattended. Most of all, welcome to the forum. Huskies are an addicting breed. Good luck!

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Just Brought Home Rescue Adoption-- Help   Just Brought Home Rescue Adoption-- Help EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi - welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in Massachusetts? I have a son in Westford, there is a member here from Billerica...

Our dog came from a shelter. We put him on a 100 ft overhead trolley and I swear, he did not stop running back and forth for 3 days Laughing (He had been in the shelter for over a month and before that, he had been kept of 6 ft tether with little exercise.)

If she is food oriented, then treating her often will get her interest...I always have kibble in my pockets. Ami knows this and now, when I do laundry, he sits on the stack of dirty clothes and searches for any kibble I've forgotten lol!

Chickens...could be dinner for a husky. My boy is a MAJOR counter surfer! Here's a thread with suggestions:
https://www.itsahuskything.com/t12836-how-to-teach-house-manners?highlight=house+manners

Trash? Oh yes- look through the pictures in "adventures with ami"...

As for escaping - there is a siberian rescue in the midwest called "Hairy Houdini"...if that's a clue Laughing Lots of exercise and my boy when he's on tether, has double shackles - he figured out how to undo them. So now, when he gets one of them open, he gives up since he's still not loose. He also no longer seems interested in taking off since we let him in the house daily and he has playtime several times a week with his doggy pal, Archer.

I'm sure your girl will come around from what you're saying about the crate next to you and treating her - excellent plan, I would think...

Enjoy your dog - pictures?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just Brought Home Rescue Adoption-- Help   Just Brought Home Rescue Adoption-- Help Empty

Back to top Go down

Just Brought Home Rescue Adoption-- Help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1