It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Advice on various things

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Parasomia
Newborn
Newborn
Parasomia

Male Join date : 2011-01-02

Advice on various things - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice on various things   Advice on various things - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Oh, I always appreciate any advice and help so no worries! Well, if anything it helped get the smell out and I blocked off some areas she likes to get into with some gates. We're not having as many accidents, but still are having them. She did settle in her cage today, alone, for a good while after throwing a fit for 30-50 minutes. We might just be progressing a bit Smile

Now, since I get paranoid over anything anymore, I was wondering if any of you ever worried about choking on a treat? I'll give her either one of those pig ears or an everlasting treat ball thing once in awhile to keep her occupied and help her teething, but I get nervous when after awhile and she's done a lot of it away that she'll end up trying to swallow a big piece! I'm sure she knows what to swallow but have any of you ever had those strange thoughts kick in? Should I even really be worried? I used to give Zoe ice cubes to chew on when she got a bit older and never had any issue (they work good too!).
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Advice on various things   Advice on various things - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:08 pm

I would be wary of smaller objects and take them away when they get too small. For instance, mine never get rawhides unattended for that reason (and larger pieces can cause blockages). However, I think treat balls are probably okay. Not sure about how easily pig ears break down as I've never used them Smile

And PROGRESS is good! Even if it's small Smile As some have mentioned, this process can take months, so just breathe. If she's making progress, I would be happy and just keep at it!

Advice on various things - Page 3 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Parasomia
Newborn
Newborn
Parasomia

PostSubject: Re: Advice on various things   Advice on various things - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:41 pm

I completely agree! Any progress is something good to latch on to. It means something is working and continuing forward should heed even better results down the road. I think now that I have a few more doggy gates, I can set up an area to work on this biting/nipping thing. Should be interesting to see how she reacts (I know she will start whining as soon as I walk out of the area and she can't get out).

Thank you for the info on the choking. The treat balls are awesome because they really do last awhile (I get the large) but now that we are dwindling down from chewing on it throughout the week (I give her limited time with things so she doesn't use up everything in one sitting) I was getting nervous letting her have it by herself. Perhaps I'll just let her chew on the rest from my hand. I've been breaking the pig ears in half when it is time for sleep in the cage ALONE. Cause she really, really loves them and I wanted to give her something that she would consider high value for staying in her cage. But I'm a bit scared now Smile They are similar to rawhides I think (at least in the way they feel and are chewed).

This is quite a long thread. If anything, it can surely help new folks who come looking for advice. They can witness the trials and anxiety of me and all the wonderful advice given!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Advice on various things   Advice on various things - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:57 pm

Parasomia wrote:
This is quite a long thread. If anything, it can surely help new folks who come looking for advice. They can witness the trials and anxiety of me and all the wonderful advice given!
Definitely! Very Happy

It depends on how the pig ears digest. Rawhides don't break down at all, they pass through the system whole which is why they are dangerous.

Back to top Go down
Parasomia
Newborn
Newborn
Parasomia

PostSubject: Re: Advice on various things   Advice on various things - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 7:18 pm

Looks like we have taken a big step backwards Evil or Very Mad

For some reason she has just decided that she will go pee often in the house again (and we were doing so well with keeping it to under 5 accidents a day) and now we don't even want to poop outside. Instead, we would rather go inside. Ugh. That was the strong point to originally because she would barely do that in the house. But now... oh we don't want to do it outside. I can have her out and I know she has to go, but doesn't. Then a few minutes later in the house... Surprise! *dies.

I have no idea what to make of her at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Parasomia
Newborn
Newborn
Parasomia

PostSubject: Re: Advice on various things   Advice on various things - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Well, folks...

It seems this week she has got a bit better with going to the bathroom in the house. There have been less accidents and it has been nice. It was vet time again today and I took in a urine sample just in case... it appears there are some strange issues there with bacteria. In fact, it kind of baffled them a bit. They don't think it is anything dangerous and she is on pills for the next 10 days to get rid of it. Could be just a bacteria thing, but at least she has got a bit better at going.

Questions - I never noticed this but do huskies generally have a semi-strong urine scent? My sister was asking me this because she always thought Zoe did.. Zoe never had issues though.

Another thing -- could the food be causing anything? I have about fully switched her over to Taste of the Wild (I prefer it).

Other than that, though, she has learned the stay command and is being a hyper husky doll. She wasn't even afraid of anyone at the vets this time.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Advice on various things   Advice on various things - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 7:06 pm

It sounds like there might be something going on causing some of the struggles with her pottying in the house, so I'm glad that the vet is taking precautions and that she seems to be getting better.

As far as I know, there is no difference in a husky urine scent than any other, but I have only ever personally owned huskies Smile

Food can definitely cause issues and her new diet and pills may both be having a positive effect on her. Whatever works is certainly the most important thing Smile

Keep us posted and glad to hear the positive update!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on various things   Advice on various things - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice on various things

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3