It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Canine Good Citizen?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 9:44 pm

Kristina, you should write me out your experience on each test item! Koda is pretty good on everything, I am just not sure how little of a reaction they want on things and I need to see if I he will lay for 20 seconds (he will sit I know that).
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 pm

I'll dig out our "score card" and write it up here.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks Kristina! I am going to try to have that done by mid night month. I wanted to do classes but I don't have 7 weeks plus $200 is not worth it for 2 little areas.
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi there. We did the CGC testing last June and therapy dog testing in sept. Some things I did to set us up for success for the CGC:
I chose a place where Frankie would be evaluated individually and indoors, not in a large group of dogs as too many other dogs really excite him. It was located at a doggy day care so another dog was available for that portion of the test.
I scheduled the appointment for a time that I knew was typically a "down time" for Frankie.
Lots of exercise before hand.....a tired husky is a good husky:)
I knew Frankie had all of the skills, but I really wanted to set us up to be successful.

There are books available through the AKC with how to train for the testing so you can do it on your own without spending too much $$ on training, especially if you have all of the basics.

I did it because I wanted him to become a therapy dog. It's good to have for your dog for insurance purposes and with so many states/counties trying to pass breed specific laws.

Hope this was helpful
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 11:05 pm

Thanks Dee! That does help!

My hubby is a councelor and he works with troubled teens and he would very much like Ginger to be a thearpy dog.

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 11:33 pm

Hummm.....Never thought about tiring Siku out before trying it. That's a really good idea! If she's not so hyper, she'd probably do pretty well.

Oh I remembered one good tip my trainer was telling us. There is a point where you have to put your dog on a long lead. Make sure you keep the dogs leash on while you're attaching the long lead and then unclip it. And the same thing when putting the leash back on and the long lead off. It's a big no no to not have anything attached to the dog during the test.

Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 6:13 pm

Ginger is registered for CGC training starting April 18!

Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 6:45 pm

Yay Ginger! You'll do great. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!!!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 8:07 pm

Good luck to both of you! Ginger seems to have the perfect personality for it, I'm sure she'll do great!

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 11:53 pm

I really want to get Embry his, but i'd feel ridiculous if he failed
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 11:57 pm

I think I posted the 10 things they test on. You can practice to make sure he's good on all the tests. That way he'll pass for sure! Smile

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 11:59 pm

We're taking her to traning because she does really well in her surroundings and when there are no distractions. She'll do well on the tests also at our favorite dog park, so we going to training so that she learns to focus with other dogs around too. And the trainer can also put us in touch with getting Ginger tested if she's a good candidate for therapy dog once she is CGC certified.

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 12:04 am

I think Embry wouldn't pass on Test 9: Reaction to distraction, he is a really nervous dog when it comes to loud noises and someone dropping something, i have a feeling he'd try to run away. also Test 2: Sitting politely for petting, he gets way excited, he doesn't jump but he starts singing and rubbing his head against your legs lol. maybe when he's a little older we'll finally have him good to go Smile
Back to top Go down
friesianet
Puppy
Puppy
friesianet

Female Join date : 2011-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 10:30 pm

Dee&Frankie wrote:
Hi there. We did the CGC testing last June and therapy dog testing in sept. Some things I did to set us up for success for the CGC:
I chose a place where Frankie would be evaluated individually and indoors, not in a large group of dogs as too many other dogs really excite him. It was located at a doggy day care so another dog was available for that portion of the test.
I scheduled the appointment for a time that I knew was typically a "down time" for Frankie.
Lots of exercise before hand.....a tired husky is a good husky:)
I knew Frankie had all of the skills, but I really wanted to set us up to be successful.

Dee---this is REALLY helpful. I didn't think about the tiring out thing either, though it completely makes sense. Nut's still too young and needs more exposure training--maybe I'll do a Petsmart obedience class just to get her used to working with other dogs around in a public place. But I have the same goal--I want her to be a therapy dog and I really believe she'll be an excellent one.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2011 12:18 am

Hubby and Ginger have been in CGC class now for 4 weeks. She started out really well, and is still doing ok, but the 2 things she won't do for JD is to sit and lay down when asked. He struggles with a couple of other test points, but she's almost defiant when it comes to sit and lay down. Funny thing is, hubby will come home and tell what she needs work on, and we'll go over it at home and she'll do it just fine for me. Tonight he came home and said, 'I think you need to finish class and take the test with her. She listens to you. She's your dog.' Razz

JD will be out of town for the next class, so if she does better in training with me for that class, I'll be finishing up CGC class with Ginger.

Another funny thing is, JD comes home and will tell me what test points they did, and I'll do it with both Ginger and Storm together, and they'll do it for me. I keep telling him to spend more time walking them, and feeding them and challenging them, but he has a different opinion...until something like this comes up. Men! scratch

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2011 9:23 am

cmanding wrote:

until something like this comes up. Men! scratch

Not necessarily anything he's doing or not doing. Both my sibes respond better to my wife than me. They interact with me the same as her except when it comes to training / commands. I've always suspected it was the more to do with vocal inflections than anything else.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2011 9:33 am

Lordbroll wrote:
cmanding wrote:

until something like this comes up. Men! scratch

Not necessarily anything he's doing or not doing. Both my sibes respond better to my wife than me. They interact with me the same as her except when it comes to training / commands. I've always suspected it was the more to do with vocal inflections than anything else.

I guess that kind of sounded like a dig against men. I'm sorry - that wasn't my intention Sad

Hubby has a different opinion from me as to how much interaction huskies need from their humans. And he keeps telling me that he's trained many huskies and half timber wolves so he KNOWS how to train...I think our little red is just showing him how different they can all be.

Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2011 9:46 am

No worries, I caught no dig. I was just sharing that in our house it maybe vocal tone related as to the willingness to comply with the command.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2011 9:54 am

That is too funny. Frankie is the same way. If you would meet Frankie with my mom, you would have a hard time believing it's the same dog. He has NO respect for her and doesn't listen to her at all. Frankie senses immediately who will/will not let him get away with anything. And with him, his respect needs to be earned. He has to know that you have the ability to follow through or he walks all over you. I think it's important that he respects all humans in the home, but I can't make him listen to others, they have to do it. Frankie is really starting to listen to my son, now I just need to work on my mom.

I think JD should practice with her at home too. Especially if he is the one that wants to take her as a therapy dog. He has to know that she will listen to him too.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:14 am

Dee&Frankie wrote:
...I think JD should practice with her at home too. Especially if he is the one that wants to take her as a therapy dog. He has to know that she will listen to him too.

JD is the reason why we are going through CGC. He wants her to be his therapy dog for counceling. And because it'll be him taking her to counceling, I figured he needs to go to CGC and Ginger needs to learn to listen to him.

I keep telling him that he needs to practice with her the test points outside of class but he's not putting in the effort. Since I work from home, I take them out for walks and I will always practice what I can when we're out. Even at home, no treat is for free. They have to do something, even if it's just laying down, to get a treat.

This is where JD has a different opinion. He doesn't think the constant stimulation is needed because, as he says, 'they are an intelligent breed and quick learners'.

For me, my 2 are my first dogs ever. So maybe I'm over kill with the training, the constant challenges, the walks and the amount of exercise I think they need...but, they do listen to me.

I also try to tell JD that he needs to be patient and not get frustrated and work at until Ginger gets it, even if it takes a while. He needs to be able to follow through on what he wants her to do.

Am I off on my thinking?

Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:32 am

No your not off in you thinking at all and it shows since they do listen to you better Wink

They ARE a very intelligent breed which is why they need constant stimulation. And since they are a working breed, they almost expect to work for their food, treats, etc.

It is important when taking you dog for TD visits that you can get them to sit, down, stay etc. for petting and safety of the people you are visiting. Remember most places you visit the people are not well whether it's mentally or physically and the dogs picks up on that, so the dogs need to know that the handler is in control of the situation as it decreases their anxiety.....just some food for thought.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:35 am

Dee&Frankie wrote:
No your not off in you thinking at all and it shows since they do listen to you better Wink

They ARE a very intelligent breed which is why they need constant stimulation. And since they are a working breed, they almost expect to work for their food, treats, etc.

It is important when taking you dog for TD visits that you can get them to sit, down, stay etc. for petting and safety of the people you are visiting. Remember most places you visit the people are not well whether it's mentally or physically and the dogs picks up on that, so the dogs need to know that the handler is in control of the situation as it decreases their anxiety.....just some food for thought.

Thanks Dee!

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2011 9:02 pm

cmanding wrote:
but she's almost defiant when it comes to sit and lay down. Funny thing is, hubby will come home and tell what she needs work on, and we'll go over it at home and she'll do it just fine for me. Tonight he came home and said, 'I think you need to finish class and take the test with her. She listens to you. She's your dog.' Razz

Another funny thing is, JD comes home and will tell me what test points they did, and I'll do it with both Ginger and Storm together, and they'll do it for me. scratch

Pretty much the same situation that Beth has with Adobo at school. But I'm working with Biko so its not like I can step in and take over for her. Beth laughs when I can look across the room at Adobo and just raise my hand then point down with a finger and she hits the deck like a ton of bricks, she is a tough one to get to stay down for the 3 minute exercise though. On the other hand Biko is going to be a star pupil out of the 13 weeks of school he's had so far I'd say I've only been disappointed with his performance in one week, last week when he was attacked by another dog which I'm sure broke his level of concentration.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 11:19 am

Ginger completed her CGC training and will be testing in the upcoming weeks! I've had to fill in for hubby in 2 classes, and both times, 2 out of the 3 instructors have asked if we've considered me testing with Ginger as her handler as she would definitely pass with me (encouraging!). Hubby will need to practice, and they said we could both test her as her handler without additional cost. (Yay!)

Since I'll be out of town 4th of July weekend, hubby will practice testing Ginger so she's not distracted as she tends to look at me for cues even if hubby is giving her a command.

And now we know what they look for to pass each test point, we'll be taking Storm for his CGC test sometime in the winter.

Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 11:24 am

Congrats. Good luck on the testing. I'm sure she'll be great. Keep us posted
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Canine Good Citizen?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Training-