It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Canine Good Citizen?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Finally got her test scheduled for this Sunday.....wish us luck!

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 10:36 pm

Good luck Ginger! She'll definitely pass! I need to find somewhere to do it here. Is it one on one, Claudia?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 10:55 pm

Good luck to both of you! Based on her track record I'm sure she'll do great.

Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 11:26 pm

Good Luck Ginger...........I'm sure she'll be great!!!!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 12:07 am

Yes, it can be one on one....it's just her, the evaluator, hubby and Ginger. However!...I had to fill in 2 of the 8 training classes, and at the end of the second class, the trainer/evaluator said Ginger would pass if I was her handler. So...she offered us for both hubby and I to test her without extra cost. But usually, it's one handler, the dog and the evaluator.

We're practicing for the next couple of days since it's been a few weeks since she finished the training class, but I think she'll do well.

Thanks everyone!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 12:13 am

Ginger will rock the test!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 4:31 pm

She failed on 2 points Sad Lay down, and stay.

She layed down, but you can only give the command up to 2 times to get her to lay down or it's a fail. She does it just fine if she knows you have a treat in your hand or if we're at home, but she was not today.

On the stay, you walk away and walk back and walk away again. She stayed when I walked away, but when I walked back to her, she broke her stay.

Storm was outside in the waiting room and I think that was a distraction because she knew he was there. Everything else, she passed. But we can re-test her as many times and it's not a negative mark against her that she failed the first time. In fact, half of the dogs that took the training failed the test, and the evaluator said that northern breeds are the hardest to past the test.

I'll be re-testing Ginger in a few weeks....

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 4:50 pm

Aww, better luck next time. So when you retest, do you have to pass everything again or does she only have to pass the two that she failed this go round?

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 5:55 pm

I'm going to test her the next time. I take constructive criticism WAY better than hubby and she did better with me on some test points. But yes, you do have to pass all test points again.

Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 9:05 pm

Awww. That stinks. Better luck next time. At least you know exactly what to expect for the next next go around.

She does it just fine if she knows you have a treat in your hand or if we're at home, but she was not today [quote]

During my training process, I eventually used intermittent reinforcement so he would only get a treat after x amount of trials as opposed to after each one. I know you can't use treats during the eval, so what I did was got there a little early and was using treats to reward for following commands.This way Frankie knew I had the treats with me and thought there was a possibility he would get one during the eval. Also then my hands smelled like the treats so he thought I was holding them, lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 11:02 pm

When I was going to do the CGC test before walking out since the facility was HORRIBLE, I rubbed treats all over my hands.. lmao.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 11:13 pm

Hubby showed he had treats in his pocket and rubbed treats in his hand so his hands smelled but she knew better -than too smart for her own good sometimes!

Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Sometimes they are just way too smart for our own good
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 12:14 pm

The place where we took CGC training for Ginger is going to have another class and has invited us back for refresher classes at no cost and we can drop in. This was supposed to be hubby's deal but since he has done NO training since Ginger's test, and I am NOT going to waste my money, I AM going to do refresher classes with Ginger in the next few weeks (since she's more responsive to me anyway and the trainers have suggested I test Ginger). And I WILL get her certified!!

(I'm still upset at hubby at saying he wanted this so bad and has done nothing but go to the classes with her.)

Wish us luck the second time around with mommy!

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 12:21 pm

I absolutely believe Ginger will pass with you, no worries at all! Smile I have to ask, how much was it and how often were classes? I want to do Koda soon and try to do Rogue right before moving so I can tell people they are both CGC.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 12:31 pm

The place I go to is a doggy daycare in Denver, Barkley Manor.
After daycare ends, and the overnight boarders go in their kennels, we use the indoor play area for training.

The cost is $175 which includes the test. It runs 8 weeks with the last week being the test if you want. Classes are held once a week for 1 hour.

You can test as many times as you want ($25 to take the test), you just end up paying for the test each time you take it, and then there's a fee to submit your test to get your certfification.

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 12:50 pm

Does she do testing also without taking the class? Koda should be good to go with the test.. Rogue I will enroll in classes maybe in 2-3 months.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 12:58 pm

Wow that's pretty expensive compared to what it is here... I think we paid $100 for the training classes (7 weeks I think) and the test was at the end. It's like $8 to submit the paperwork to the AKC.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 1:08 pm

Yes, I know a trainer that can give the test only.

Kristina, you're correct, it is $8 to submit the paperwork.

It's only place that has the training that's relatively close to me.

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 1:09 pm

It was 100-150 in Arizona.. but not great places. I haven't looked in the Springs yet.
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 6:09 pm

Good luck Ginger!

The price does seem a bit high. I charge $110 for seven weeks, and the additional $8 if they feel ready for the test. At least you found someone in your area that offers it. I've never got to test a husky before! I know they can pass, but I can't test my own dogs, and can never find another CGC trainer by me!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 6:22 pm

It's basically $150 for the class. I think that is a little high, but it's the only place I know within Denver city limits that offer the class, so they have be charging that much because of that...I bet if there was another place offering the training, the price would drop.

PostSubject: Re: Canine Good Citizen?   Canine Good Citizen? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Canine Good Citizen?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3