It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Correcting bad behavior without seeing it

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2014-10-10

2 - Correcting bad behavior without seeing it Empty
PostSubject: Correcting bad behavior without seeing it   2 - Correcting bad behavior without seeing it EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 8:29 am

Is there anyway to correct bad behavior without catching it. Bandit took the kong I prepared for her when I went out to start the car, she jumped up and stole it right off the counter. I guess I can't really do anything can I?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Correcting bad behavior without seeing it   2 - Correcting bad behavior without seeing it EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 10:40 am

Correct. You can not. Deep breaths and move on.

Prevention is the key.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Correcting bad behavior without seeing it   2 - Correcting bad behavior without seeing it EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 10:49 am

Eh didn't really make me mad but I wonder sometimes how she gets things in high spots
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Correcting bad behavior without seeing it   2 - Correcting bad behavior without seeing it EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 11:58 am

Jeff, I won't completely disagree but something I've found with my various dogs... if there hasn't been too much time passed, take the offender to the spot, tap it and watch the dogs reaction. If they look away (guilty) then simply a reinforcing "No!" will often help.

Avalanche did a bit of counter surfing when I first brought him home and while I wasn't always able to "catch him in the act" he knew he wasn't supposed to and this worked for me. Of course, when it comes to new bad behaviour it doesn't stand a chance.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Correcting bad behavior without seeing it   2 - Correcting bad behavior without seeing it EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 12:13 pm

It's hard to correct her right now cause she is still acting weird after being spayed. I'm trying to just kind of leave her alone. She's really moody ha women
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Correcting bad behavior without seeing it   2 - Correcting bad behavior without seeing it EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 12:53 pm

That's fair Al. I personally don't ever say No to Link because I primarily communicate non-verballly.

I think the actual, tangible issue to be wary of with retrospective corrections is scaring the dog now for doing nothing wrong.

Especially with this case here, this person regularly expresses substantial confusion and ambiguity about the interactions with his dog , so I think the likelihood for error is greater.
Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Correcting bad behavior without seeing it   2 - Correcting bad behavior without seeing it EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Ahhh I thought having a dog would be easy. It's so confusing sometimes ha
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Correcting bad behavior without seeing it   2 - Correcting bad behavior without seeing it EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 1:12 pm

Very much so. You'll find your groove, hang in there.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Correcting bad behavior without seeing it   2 - Correcting bad behavior without seeing it EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 1:43 pm

cosmothunder wrote:

I'm laughing because to those of us who've grown up with our furry friends there's so much that's a natural part of the dialogue - but I sometimes see people who have "married someone who doesn't speak English!"

As Jeff says, hang in there Tony, eventually it'll all click for both of you.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Correcting bad behavior without seeing it   2 - Correcting bad behavior without seeing it EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 1:51 pm

aljones wrote:

cosmothunder wrote:

I'm laughing because to those of us who've grown up with our furry friends there's so much that's a natural part of the dialogue - but I sometimes see people who have "married someone who doesn't speak English!"

Oh so true Laughing I've come to be able to anticipate Ami's moves over the past year, to stop behavior before it begins. Son #2, Archer's dad, has not even had children of his own yet so has not developed this ability. He is constantly confounded by Archer - but then, Archer is definitely a trouble maker:P
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Correcting bad behavior without seeing it   2 - Correcting bad behavior without seeing it EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 3:23 pm

Tony, you don't need to worry about the aftermath of the surgery beyond her physical recovery.

She has no knowledge of surgery or that you put her through it. The only thing she knows is that you, right now, are struggling in your dealing with it and she sees you as unstable because of that.

She still needs structure and boundaries from you. It is fine to correct her if she's misbehaving right now.

In another thread you asked if she's mad at you. No, she is not. That's a human thing. She only knows your energy and body language right now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Correcting bad behavior without seeing it   2 - Correcting bad behavior without seeing it Empty

Back to top Go down

Correcting bad behavior without seeing it

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1