It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How to stop pulling during walks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

Female Join date : 2015-03-22

How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 2:11 pm

For 1 article that says the prong collar is good, I find 2 opposite XD I really can't make up a decision on that. Furthermore, shops here don't sell it because they think it's bad :p
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 2:17 pm

Lily82 wrote:
For 1 article that says the prong collar is good, I find 2 opposite XD I really can't make up a decision on that. Furthermore, shops here don't sell it because they think it's bad :p

http://www.leashesbydesign.com/ProngCollars/ProngCollars.html

I like the medium with the side release buckle.

Note: I have NOT ordered from this site, don't know anything about them. My prong came from the shelter - recommended by the shelter director. There are at least several of us on this forum that use prong collars.
Back to top Go down
Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 2:21 pm

I wouldn't order from the US anyway as it costs a fortune to send something here Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 2:23 pm

Idea

http://www.luvmydog.co.uk/acatalog/caps_pic.html
Back to top Go down
Dimo
Newborn
Newborn
Dimo

Male Join date : 2015-03-22

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 8:38 pm

Well, I put a Top Paw harness on her and BOOM barely any pulling.

I'd forgotten the fact that we trained dogs at the shelter on a harness and I never used a clip leash with her, so part of the problem solved. The leash was slack for most of the walk.
We are now working on keeping her focused on me.
Back to top Go down
Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 8:59 pm

Dimo wrote:

I'd forgotten the fact that we trained dogs at the shelter on a harness and I never used a clip leash with her, so part of the problem solved. The leash was slack for most of the walk.

We are using the Mekuti balance harness with double lead, suggested by a dog trainer, but only makes him want to pull more it seems :p
Back to top Go down
Dimo
Newborn
Newborn
Dimo

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 10:08 pm

Lily82 wrote:

Dimo wrote:

We are using the Mekuti balance harness with double lead, suggested by a dog trainer, but only makes him want to pull more it seems :p

Mysti is the only dog I know that using a harness STOPS the pulling.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2015 9:04 am

Hm... A husky wanting to pull in harness? Who'd a thought! Wink
Back to top Go down
Dimo
Newborn
Newborn
Dimo

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2015 12:12 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
Hm... A husky wanting to pull in harness? Who'd a thought! Wink
A sign I don't have a pure husky. lol! I have, to be cutesy, a "How" (Husky X Chow).
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2015 12:25 pm

How about a Chowsky?
Back to top Go down
Dimo
Newborn
Newborn
Dimo

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2015 3:35 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
How about a Chowsky?

That sounds like a brand of kibble. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DarkDiamond
Teenager
Teenager
DarkDiamond

Male Join date : 2014-11-02

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 5:52 pm

Walks with wolf were starting to not be fun. I really enjoy walks, but I just couldn't stand the constant pulling. I tried the gentle leader, and he either layer down or got it off. Bought a prong collar, and it was like a miracle. Now walks are fun and focused, and he never really seemed bothered by it even the first time I put it on. I'm a believer. And if it did hurt, he would let me know because he's a baby. Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 5:58 pm

Prongs don't cause pain Smile anyone who says they do is politically motivated and lying.

They only deliver information and cause momentary discomfort that the dog in turn learns to avoid, rendering the collar the most gentle and least invasive tool to use.

That's so awesome that you have had success with one. Advocate for them as much as you can.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 6:03 pm

After all the suggestions I considered it, but even my dog's veterinary told me not to use prong collar. On the instructions of the collar itself it says it should be used by trainers and people who actually know what they are doing.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 6:10 pm

Have you ever seen a dog choking itself on a regular buckle tag collar? All the time, right? Have you ever seen a dog limping from pulling so hard in a No Pull harness? All the time, right?

Why don't we see the same warnings or moral lashings regarding those tools that are in fact more harmful and less effective than prong collars?

There's an emotionally charged, moral outrage over prong collars that motivates political messages against them. You have to think critically about this stuff.

Those same vets telling you not to use prong collars are the same vets recommending awful, unhealthy kibble for your dog, as well.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 6:22 pm

Lidia - no one is forcing you to use a prong collar. While there are many of us here on the forum that have successfully and humanely used a prong, if you strongly believe that it is not for you, I suggest you follow your gut. I guess I don't understand your continued protestations to those of us who do use one. Are you trying to change our minds?
Back to top Go down
Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 6:54 pm

No, if you already know how to use it and you are doing it successfully I don't see why I should try to make you change your mind. My point is just that -maybe- it might not be the best suggestion to give to someone who is not experienced with this kind of collar. I really don't see why attacking me like that.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 7:02 pm

Experience can be gained very easily and there are tons of free and paid information about how to properly use one.

My point about dogs choking on flat collars and limping in no pull harnesses is that any tool can be misused.

There's no danger with prong collars. They neither choke nor cause pain to dogs. They are in fact safer than any other walking tool and easier to use.

And....nobody attacked you Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 8:37 pm

Lidia - my intent was not to attack you. Also - I had no experience with a prong when it was recommended to me by the shelter - never even heard of such a thing. And yes - to my mind, it looked like a medieval torture device. But I trusted the shelter director - he clearly had a soft spot for Ami in particular and animals in general. So I read up about its use, watched a few videos and used common sense. I have a happy dog who loves walks and gets lots and lots - and my shoulder is happy, too, without the pulling.
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 2:54 pm

And just throwing this out there...so many people, confused or desperate with their dog's behaviors, consult who they think would be best--their vet...but vets aren't dog trainers! They know dog health, but not dog behavior or training methods. And if they do offer advice, they offer advice that's outdated and downright wrong. I've had vets tell me prong collars are evil right after telling me to shove a dog's nose in their pee if they have an accident or to use a newspaper to correct them.

Prong collars work great and are incredibly easy to use. We used it for Anya and it made a miracle of a difference. When we switched to off-leash work, we transitioned to e-collars and haven't looked back, but a prong collar is such a great tool for people getting started with a strong dog.
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 8:54 pm

Kat, all kind of Amens and Thank Yous and Right Ons for your post.

Vets are not dog trainers--what an understatement.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to stop pulling during walks?   How to stop pulling during walks? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How to stop pulling during walks?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next