It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Kennel... Crate

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Neicy
Newborn
Newborn
Neicy

Female Join date : 2011-01-28

crate - Kennel... Crate Empty
PostSubject: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 8:46 pm

New puppy-mommy-to-be! We recently placed a deposit hold on a newborn husky. She can't come home until March so we are trying to get everything she needs now. We have already purchased an outdoor 10x10x6ft tall dog kennel (that needs to be put together when the snow clears- if it ever does! lol) And we are securing landscape timbers into the ground on the sides for extra support (hoping it helps eleminate digging and escape). Plus we also plan on adding a tarp over half of it for some extra shelter along with the dog house.

I do want to start out by indoor crate training as well atleast for the first month we have her home until the weather starts to warm up just a little more. I am a stay at home mom so I'm home mainly all day minus the tiem I run to do errands or pick my son up from school.

My main question is what size measurements would be needed for buying a indoor crate?
And do you have any adive on the outdoor kennel due to the escape artisits? Any dos and don't are welcomed Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 9:50 pm

Congrats on picking out a husky pup. If you do intend to use an outdoor kennel I would make sure it is completely secure, as in your husky cannot dig out of it and cannot climb out. Huskies are known escape artists and are extremely smart, there is a reason so many end up in shelters and rescue. Wink I don't think a tarp over half the kennel will be sufficient, for a husky I would advise it be completely covered and even tarp is not invincible to husky destruction.

As for the indoor crate, do you intend to get a wire crate or a plastic kennel? With the wire crates you can buy the size that your pup will eventually be full grown and just use a divider while she's young and doesn't need the entire amount of space the crate offers. The divider can help with house breaking too for some so she doesn't eliminate in one corner of the crate and lay in another.

How much time and when do you plan on having your sibe kept in the outdoor kennel? I ask because an under-exercised husky left in a kennel for extended periods will get bored very quickly and look for and often create their own adventures.

Will this be your first husky and do you have a name picked out yet?

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 10:39 pm

Make sure your tarp is a "breathable" tarp. If not, and you have bad winds during a storm, it can literally pull your kennel on it's side. I've seen it happen...
Back to top Go down
GonetotheSnowDogs
Teenager
Teenager
GonetotheSnowDogs

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 12:15 am

My advise. . don't keep the dog outdoors. Let them be a part of your family!! Mine only go outside to potty, and other then that if they are outside, so are we!!

When we are gone at work, they have an inside kennel. Much safer then leaving them along outside while you are gone. And honestly mine love their crates. Shelby will go off and sleep in hers even when we are home! hehe
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/GonetotheSnowDogs
Neicy
Newborn
Newborn
Neicy

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 6:12 pm

*Valerie- Glad you said to tarp the whole thing I will return the one we have and get a larger one.

I was thinking wire crate, because we purchased a plactic one to keep our older dog in for couple days (not all day- but we were in the process of moving and it was suppose to be used for a few hours while we were busy. Well she was use to doing as she pleased and we have had her almost 7 years, so set in her ways lol) and within no time she pretty much chewed her way out.

As for time I do what her to remain indoors for majority of the day. I was thinking a couple hours durning the day and maybe some nights. But not 24-7!! I would say on average less than 10hours in a 24hr period. In addition to being my walking partner to join me in my walks.

Yes she is our first husky and we are naming her Hachiko and calling her "Hachi" (like the Japanese Akita)

*Mindy- GOOD TIP!!!! Thanks a bunch!

*GoneToTheSnowDogs- Thatz super wonderful training that she will go in on her own. Wanna move in with us a few weeks lol I was thinking of letting her stay outside for some freedom from the kids and her own piece of the outside world. I have another dog who stays out a lot durning the spring/summer/some fall time. She loves to go outside and do her thing. (I have no clue what mix of bred she is but due to her age I keep her inside as much as I can in the winter and when it gets cold. But if she sees snow she will dart out the door to play in the yard lol and you have to drag her inside. She has a super thick coat and a crazy streak lol)

**Thanks so much for your advice ladies Smile Very Happy
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 8:37 pm

Love the name! My Dakota absolutely loves the outdoors too. Sometimes I wonder if he ever wants to come inside.

Please post pictures of Hachi as she grows and of your 7 year old. We love looking at new pics.
Back to top Go down
Neicy
Newborn
Newborn
Neicy

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 12:56 am

Thank you Smile The breeder is always posting/sending me pics. She just emailed me earlier stating she was uploading new pics tomorrow, because all the pups now have their eyes open!! I will post pics as soon as I get them and of our other 2 dogs.

Dayzee is the 7yr old mix. She has a super sleek tan body (had a black snout but itz sooo grey now) She can spring her body up so high- it's crazy. We also have an ittybitty almost 3lb. 15month old Yorkie named Pixie (Don't laugh when you see her lol She looks like a long haired Chihuahua. But the vet confirmed she is fullblooded yorkie. Plus the breeder swears she only owns and breeds yorkies. But she was not very trusting to say the least.)

Pixie is the reason I'm here actually. When I got her you could tell she was different. I then found a "Yorkie Forum" Due to a lot of new education from the members, who were always so so helpful I knew as soon as I had free time I had to find a "Husky Forum!" Smile I always have questions and I always love to learn from others. I know no two dogs are the same but the stories are always amazing!

Anyway back to Pixie, due to as much info as I could find she is considered a red-legged yorkie because she can't really grow a full coat. She is considered to have a bad gene that comes out in certain litters. Rare but it happens. If I was in it for the "show dog" quality AKC standards I've been told she's "worthless" & "I paid way too much" blah blah blah. To me that is all BS *sorry* All it took was one look at her and I had to rescue her. I could have told the breeder she was crazy I wasn't going to buy a dog that looked nothing like the breed... but you could tell the breeder was a very rude low-class woman who was in it for the money. She saw dollar signs not actual animals that needed to be loved. I'm not trying to bad mouth her (I always get steamed over it) but the way she did things was just really really horrible. I did the vet visit the very next morning in which the pup had kennel cough and had to get an antibotic shots and pills and some syrup. I then contact her about this issue because when she handed Pixie over I questioned the raspy sound. She said the dog just barked too much(we had Pixie for over 4 months before we EVER heard her bark. I thought she was a mute lol) The breeder didn't ask to half the bill or offer to do anything over the matter- which I'm sure I could have faught it due to the health guarentee, but that was just my proof of the type of breeder/ person she was. I didn't want a penny from her I just called to tell her the out come and see what she would say or offer to do (which was pretty much oh sorry I don't think they know what they are talkng about- good bye) She also said the pups were CKC and she would mail me papers which I have yet to see. I did called her about them (2weeks after we got Pixie) she said to contact CKC and do it myself! (which is a black start of the genetics line and you send in pictures, not worth it really) Heck, I didn't want Pixie for breeding or shows, I just wanted her cause she needed me. (now it was obvious!!) Pixie still has no papers to this day. I never contacted the breeder back or anything. I guess you can say I fell for her scam- lesson learned!...... A lesson that I LOOOOVE everyday!!! LOL Smile Smile Smile And would do it again and pay double lol (sorry just wanted to point out Pixie is amazing! Our pets aren't part of the family they ARE family) She is super precious but I don't think she is aware that she is so tiny she acts like she is a queen.

Due to this problem I must be driving the new breeder crazy. She lives about 2 hours away. The first email I sent I asked her like a zillion questions on her breeding skill and about the parents and all this wild stuff (which according to the thing on the forum I did pretty good on clearing all those questions before sending the deposit. I was proud of myself lol) She does respond back and is always keeping in touch. I hope she is a good breeder so far she is a jewel.

Sorry for the loooooooong ramble. Once you get me started on my babies (my kids or my furbabies) I can go on forever. LoL

Dayzee's story is short and sweet. I had just moved out on my own and a few months went by my friend's dog (no clue what breed she was a stray) had pups born last week of March '04. My Boyfriend and I went on our first offical date (April 2nd '04) I went down to my friends house in mid May (7-8weeks after they were born) and picked out this lid'l female brown ball of fur. Needless to say... She will be 7 soon and the boyfriend (now hubby) never left either lol However she did stay with my parents for a year or so. We moved around to places where we couldn't have pets but that never lasted long we ended up buying a house and totally took her back where she belongs. Smile

Ok this time I really will hit the send button. LoL (Soooorrrrry!!)
Back to top Go down
Neicy
Newborn
Newborn
Neicy

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 11:52 pm

crate - Kennel... Crate Dogz111
Back to top Go down
Neicy
Newborn
Newborn
Neicy

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 11:53 pm

Did that pic work? I tried to "host it" wasn't sure if I did it right? I can see it but can you all see it too?
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 12:12 am

GonetotheSnowDogs wrote:
My advise. . don't keep the dog outdoors. Let them be a part of your family!! Mine only go outside to potty, and other then that if they are outside, so are we!!

When we are gone at work, they have an inside kennel. Much safer then leaving them along outside while you are gone. And honestly mine love their crates. Shelby will go off and sleep in hers even when we are home! hehe

Same here. My two only go outside to potty and when they're in the yard so am I. I, personally, wouldn't leave either outside. They do both love to be outside, but they know when it's time to come in and love sleeping on the couch or under the AC vent Spoiled brats I love you

Your doggies are so cute!!! Yes, the pics did post =) Congrats on the new furbaby!!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Aww, your furbabies are all adorable. I think I'm in love with Dayzee. I love you

Newborn
Newborn
Neicy

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 7:01 pm

LoL Thanks ladies Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Neicy
Newborn
Newborn
Neicy

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 8:57 pm

Would a crate 42L x31H x 28W work or bigger?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 9:10 pm

Neicy wrote:
Would a crate 42L x31H x 28W work or bigger?

That should be plenty big for a normal size, adult husky. That's the size my wire crate is and my adult male sibe has plenty of room in it.

Newborn
Newborn
Neicy

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 6:50 am

wonderful, thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Neicy
Newborn
Newborn
Neicy

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 8:21 am

I hope I have these in right order I can hardly see them as I upload them lol... This is a few of the pics I have so far for my weekly updates. I just got a new one tongiht so I totally had to share it, and why not catch you up on all the others as well Smile

Day she was born: 1-14
crate - Kennel... Crate Ad1110

2days old-Front view: 1-16
crate - Kennel... Crate Ad110

2days old- Back View: 1-16
crate - Kennel... Crate Ad211

1wk old pic: 1-21
crate - Kennel... Crate Phot810

2wk old-Eyes open: 1-29
crate - Kennel... Crate Hacji010

3wk old: 2/5
crate - Kennel... Crate 100_3010

I think her (and all of the other pups in the litter) look like lid'l bear cubs lol I'm really loving how the markings are changing. The bigger she gets the more it sems that she has a patch over her eye giving her a two tone face so Phantom of the Operaish look lol *Love it* I so can't wait!!! Just a few more weeks! Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
itstashie
Puppy
Puppy
itstashie

Female Join date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 11:35 am

She's adorable! I can understand where your at. I recently just brought home my little boy. I had to wait over a month and it sure was the longest wait ever!
Good luck with her. I'll be looking forward to the at-home pictures!
Back to top Go down
Neicy
Newborn
Newborn
Neicy

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 6:57 pm

Thanks hun.... I keep trying to rush it along but the time doesnt change so much

I will swamp ya with pics when she gets home lol so watch what you ask for lol
Back to top Go down
Neicy
Newborn
Newborn
Neicy

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 6:46 pm

Kennel and Crate both set up Smile

crate - Kennel... Crate Jjjk10

crate - Kennel... Crate Dsc06511
Back to top Go down
Neicy
Newborn
Newborn
Neicy

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 6:48 pm

still need to anchor down the kennel and fix the sides with ebar and landscape timbers.
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 1:15 am

Only bad thing w Tarps is They Hold SNow BAD ! I had Mine up for 4 Months Then Snow & Rain Took It down .. My Kennel is On top Of Wooden Pallets ANd My bbaies Dont touch The ground when In There ... And I Also have Heavey Cement Garden Edging Thingy Around The Whole Outside of Kennel !~
THEY WILL MAKE Their own Adventure .... Mine Ate their $300 Wooden Custom Made Doggie House Sad LOL But I Love Them to Pieces ~ \Good Luck & Enjoy Take MANy Pixx They change soo Fast !~ LOVE The Pink Crate ~~~
Back to top Go down
Neicy
Newborn
Newborn
Neicy

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 3:20 pm

Its actually called a "Sunblock Cover" not an actual tarp and it has these tiny holes in it to make it breathable. Suppose to allow heat to escape through open mesh fabric. I'm hoping rain and snow doesn't build up on it toooo bad. (But the winter storms have been horrible the last 2 years. We use to get a few mini snow storms as in 6inches or less. Lately they say snow storms and we are lucky if we get under 2ft!) i'm keeping a heads up on it though so totally thanks for the tip.

I thought about the floor plan and even looked into making a concrete pad as well. But I'm not sure I really want to keep the kennel in that spot forever. Until digging is seen or her temperment in there playing, I will decide on what to do on a floor plan or just allow her to play in it as is for a little bit a day. Smile

(LOVE The Pink Crate) LoL Thanks. Super cheap, got a great deal on ebay!!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Is that pen intended just for Hachi as a puppy? Or were you hoping to keep it through adulthood? Because honestly? It will work just fine for a pup, but there is no way that will contain a full-grown adult husky, I'm afraid.

crate - Kennel... Crate Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Neicy
Newborn
Newborn
Neicy

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 3:53 pm

I figured puppy and adult play. The kennel is 10'x10'by6' .... How big do I need then?

and the crate is 42L x31H x 28W
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 4:23 pm

A full-grown adult is just not going to be happy contained in a 10x10 playpen. He's going to want to RUN. Honestly, unless you had a full-fenced yard, I would suggest just getting a runner or a tie out.

Those pens don't generally hold huskies well unless they are large and bolted/cemented to the ground. For example, Koda would contain himself in there for about oh... 10 mins before he would decide he'd want out and either bash it over, dig under it, or get through it.

Besides, the exercise an adult husky would be able to get in a pen like that would not even come close to breaking a sweat.

crate - Kennel... Crate Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kennel... Crate   crate - Kennel... Crate Empty

Back to top Go down

Kennel... Crate

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next