It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Oh When She is Good She is Very, Very Good!!! But When She Is Bad...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jo
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2010-12-24

Oh When She is Good She is Very, Very Good!!! But When She Is Bad... Empty
PostSubject: Oh When She is Good She is Very, Very Good!!! But When She Is Bad...   Oh When She is Good She is Very, Very Good!!! But When She Is Bad... EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 5:28 am

Well our little darling Chloe is officially 3 months. We are having some behavior issues. Well she is a Husky and very stubborn. I know darn well she understands a lot of the discipline, the problem is she tests, tests, tests Mad

I believe the problem is everyone in the house is not on the same page as far as training. I want to get a handle on her now, but my daughter and I are butting heads over how tough we should be on her. I realize she is just a baby, and that I think is the biggest problem. "she's just so cute." Smile

Chloe's faults at this time that I need help with.

1. She is a counter surfer
2. She is forever jumping on us.
3. If you have food, she will billy goat her way over anything to get to you.

I have crate trained every one of our dogs, but Chloe will not have it. She screams bloody murder, then

stresses herself out so badly she starts panting, then gets diarrhea. I swear she has a panic attack in the crate. This is making it very difficult. We have to have shifts to keep an eye on her. Trust me I have dealt with the worst of dogs. Laughing

Housebreaking is going very well, she has her off days, but is learning to ring the bell at the back door when she needs to go outside.

Chloe's biggest fault, she is very much loved!! She looks at you with those big old blue eyes, and those darn angry markings above her eyes, and you just melt. She is such a wonderful addition to our family. I just want to get a handle on the behavior now.

Thanks so much
Jo
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Oh When She is Good She is Very, Very Good!!! But When She Is Bad...   Oh When She is Good She is Very, Very Good!!! But When She Is Bad... EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Sounds like a pup with no boundaries and parents who are absolute pushovers for a cute face. lol You admit that part of the problem is inconsistency amongst family members, is that something that everyone in the house is willing to discuss and get on board with?

First and foremost I would suggest putting into place NILIF training if you haven't already. Make her work for everything which will give her a job and build up a relationship between the people in the house and her.

I don't have a lot of time to post decent advice right now but here's my 5 minute version. Smile

Counter surfing - first set her up for success and don't leave enticing things out on the counter for her to go after. Correct her immediately each and EVERY time she tries but really try not to let it get that far. Keep her out of the kitchen if you have to or body block when she looks like she's keen on something on the counter.

Jumping - make yourself as boring as possible when she jumps on people, issue a verbal correction and then turn your back to her and make any and all fun and attention end. If that doesn't stop her then remove her from the room until she settles down. Repeat as needed. Never encourage jumping on people, consistency is vital here so if everyone is not on the same page you might as well welcome the jumping with open arms.

Billy goating for food (LOL) - set boundaries and don't let her get away with anything that is not allowed. Is she or isn't she allowed to climb on furniture and stick with those rules. If she breaks the rules she gets corrected, no exceptions. She also never gets fed without working for the food. Feeding her from your own plates and when you are eating will only encourage this behavior and begging so I would keep any feeding and treats separate from whenever you or anyone else in the family is eating. Giving in to those begging eyes will only serve to fuel the problem. Wink

Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Oh When She is Good She is Very, Very Good!!! But When She Is Bad...   Oh When She is Good She is Very, Very Good!!! But When She Is Bad... EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 12:23 pm

AT Least She Isnt Eatting Ur House up .... Yet Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oh When She is Good She is Very, Very Good!!! But When She Is Bad...   Oh When She is Good She is Very, Very Good!!! But When She Is Bad... Empty

Back to top Go down

Oh When She is Good She is Very, Very Good!!! But When She Is Bad...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1