It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dog shows 101

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mooixi
Newborn
Newborn
mooixi

Female Join date : 2015-12-28

Dog shows 101 Empty
PostSubject: Dog shows 101   Dog shows 101 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 2:28 pm

Hi there,

Can anyone give me a basic rundown about how to get involved in dog shows and/or showing a dog? The best I can find on the internet is the 10 step Ehow guide (kind of a joke). I've tried contacting many kennel clubs in my area and no one ever gets back to me. It makes me wonder why do they have phone numbers and emails if they never return inquiries. I don't just want to up at a dog show looking confused about what's going on! Even as a spectator.

Things I am wondering about:

-can you bring a pet dog to a dog show as a spectator?
-can you just register to a competition?
-what basic things should you know before trying to get involved?

Thanks a lot!
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

Dog shows 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog shows 101   Dog shows 101 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 9:45 pm

Hi Jan! It's frowned upon to bring a pet when you're spectating. If it's a show that's held outdoors rather than a conference center, you will see a few pets, but they normally stay around the grooming areas rather than the show rings.

Go to shows without your pup so you can really take it in. Even little shows are big, crowded, and can be confusing. It will be easier to watch and learn when you're not trying to keep your dog out of the way. Watch the huskies but also watch other working dogs--it will help you see what they look for.

Registering is pretty simple; shows are listed months in advance and have deadlines to enter. Look for local shows in your area to get an idea of what shows are nearby (the bigger ones you'll likely have to travel for). This is the site for my area when I was showing to give you an idea of what they look like: https://www.raudogshows.com/

Before you enter, I highly recommend getting a mentor who is successful. If your breeder shows, they may be willing to help you or may be able to connect you with someone who will. If not, check out your local breed clubs and associations; they often have classes, mentoring programs, and practice matches to try out your skills. Check Facebook-a lot of the club websites are outdated but have very active breed groups in the area on Facebook. I know there's lots of Husky Huddles in different regions with active showers.

If you are just starting out, I also recommend you either handle a professional handler or take extensive handling classes. For newbies, handlers don't look like they do much, but a good handler can make an okay dog look spectacular, and a poor handler can make the best of champions look like a slug. Being a strong handler is a real skill and takes a lot of practice, which is why professional handlers can be pricey.

Finally, when you're a spectator...do not pet the dogs. Or if you must, wait until the dog is completely done showing and ask first. I can't tell you how many people would bonk my Samoyed on the head because she "was so cute!" after I spent hours getting her coat just right...in seconds they would flatter her coat or get crumbs/sticky syrup in her coat right before we were set to go in the ring.  affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Dog shows 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog shows 101   Dog shows 101 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 9:51 pm

In addition to everything Anyaluv posted, you probably should have an idea of how the dog you are thinking about showing/wanting to show, measures up conformation-wise.
Back to top Go down
mooixi
Newborn
Newborn
mooixi

Dog shows 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog shows 101   Dog shows 101 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 2:14 pm

Thanks so much for the info! I was mostly just curious about dog shows because there really isn't a lot out there about it. It kind of gave me a elite secret society vibe.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Dog shows 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog shows 101   Dog shows 101 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 2:26 pm

Places to look at, because it isn't all that secret, but there are rules for AKC events, and even if you have an AKC registered dog does not mean you can enter on a whim, you have to do a bunch of research and talk to those that do it. So places to look AKC has their website, SHCA has their website, both will show dates and places of shows, another thing you can look for is a local H2M2, they tend to be on Face Book. Also somethings are dependent on the contract you signed with your breeder, most breeders will have a co-owned agreement if you want to do shows, some have spay/neuter clause in their contracts, and I am not 100% positive, but pretty sure, that most AKC sponsored shows require unaltered dogs to compete. Lastly, breeders normally do things to show the "worth" of their dogs, as in working their dogs or showing, probably the best place to get help and info is to go to your breeder and ask him/her how to go about showing. that way they can help mentor you, or suggest someone who can.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Dog shows 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog shows 101   Dog shows 101 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 2:32 pm

There is also a lot of valuable information in here as there are a few people that show their Huskies. So never hesitate to ask questions. Smile if you havnt seen it already, there is a sub category here dealing specifically with dog showing and can be very helpful to you. It's an interesting read to say the least.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Dog shows 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog shows 101   Dog shows 101 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 2:35 pm

Jimmy just reminded me on another thread that is very helpful, "Conformation, a realistic look" about 30 pages long, but also a good read and a lot of info crammed in there.
Back to top Go down
mooixi
Newborn
Newborn
mooixi

Dog shows 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog shows 101   Dog shows 101 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 2:41 pm

Well, I think the problem was I was kind of stuck in a catch-22. I read the entire AKC site, which basically says here is the link to enter your dog into a show, here is the breed standard, and contact your local club. So I contacted my local club, and other regional clubs, and no one responded to me. I have full rights to my pup, but my breeder does not show her dogs. Kind of a dead end that way.  

Ultimately I think my pup is probably not a show quality dog anyway because he didn't come from a "show line" or etc, I was mostly just curious about the process -like how do you get into showing your dog if you don't already know someone who shows dogs? Apparently it's highly improbable that you will! lol

I did read the confirmation thread and the dog showing thread, and was already confused about words like "stacking." haha~ I should probably just find a irl person I can talk to about dog shows, but I just don't know where they are hiding. I guess looking through FB just totally went over my head.
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

Dog shows 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog shows 101   Dog shows 101 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 2:44 pm

Anyone can enter without knowing someone, it just certainly helps because they are confusing. Check if there's a dog training club or facility nearby that offers handling classes or agility classes-they can help teach you and learn the ins and outs too.

I will say if your breeder didn't show, it's highly unlikely that your dog won't do well in conformation. Not a slight against your pup at all, it's just the dogs that compete successfully fit the standard incredibly well.
Back to top Go down
mooixi
Newborn
Newborn
mooixi

Dog shows 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog shows 101   Dog shows 101 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 2:50 pm

Oh yea, I totally understand! I'm pretty sure she was a "pet" breeder. I think my pup is pretty, and lots of randoms will compliment him on the street, but I'm sure 100% of huskies gets compliments by randoms about how pretty they are. It's more my curiosity about how my pup measures up to perfection. Oh the vanity!
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

Dog shows 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog shows 101   Dog shows 101 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 2:52 pm

I hear you. Just know that handling classes and show entry fees can get really pricey really fast. It's certainly an expensive hobby.

Post pictures of your pup in the conformation thread; we have a number of experts who can give a good analysis of your dog.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Dog shows 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog shows 101   Dog shows 101 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 3:42 pm

Conformation showing is less about the pretty or the cute, which we all know our beloved pets are, than it is about the correct structure for the breed's function. Having your pup evaluated for show potential, either through this forum, a reputable breed fancier, or even through handling class can be a great advantage before sending off that first entry. But take your pup to a handling class, it's training, it's time with your pup, and it can help you decide if showing even interests you to perhaps consider pursuing in the future.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
jmscott
Puppy
Puppy
jmscott

Dog shows 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog shows 101   Dog shows 101 EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 1:18 am

A good run down of the breed standard:
http://www.mikulov.org/links/analysis.htm

A good start on training:
http://www.sue-eh.ca/page24/page40/

Breed Club page, (has a list of local clubs!)
www.shca.org

HuskyMom09 has some fantastic suggestions!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dog shows 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog shows 101   Dog shows 101 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dog shows 101

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Community :: Show Dogs-