It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Major problem. Plz HELP!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Myasmom89
Newborn
Newborn
Myasmom89

Major problem. Plz HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Major problem. Plz HELP!   Major problem. Plz HELP! EmptyMon Apr 25, 2016 10:24 pm

So Mya just turned 3 in January and when she was a puppy I took her to doggie daycare all the time. We moved and now I can't afford the insane prices of daycare and I'm afraid she's losing her social skills.

Whenever she sees another dog, she locks onto it and won't keep walking until I've told her no multiple times. She does this low pitch gurgle/growl sounding thing. It's not a growl just like a low pitch gurgling sound and now she's starting kicking up dirt with her back feet when she sees them. People avoid her like the plague and I know she won't do anything to their dogs but I get so tired of explaining to people that that's just what she does. I'm afraid she's going to start turning these traits into aggression. When we walk away from the dog, she cries so I know she just wants to be friends. What should I do to stop these bad habits she's formed? I'm at my wits end with this.

If a dog does snap at her, she does snap back. This happened the other day, I wasn't paying attention for even just a second and she got up into this older dog's face and it snapped at her. Of course, the owner of that dog looked at me like I'd brought a monster to the park, but that's beside the point.

Do these sound like aggressive behaviors to anyone? Have any of your huskies displayed this low gurgle sound or is it just mine??

HELP!!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Major problem. Plz HELP!   Major problem. Plz HELP! EmptyTue Apr 26, 2016 11:47 am

The scraping and kicking the ground when other dogs are around is a scent marking and, dare I say, dominance/territorial thing. My girl does it all the time. She sees a dog and will pee and then scrape the ground to let the other dog know she is claiming this spot. Frustration over almost meeting dogs can turn into aggression over time. If you can't afford daycare, can you maybe take a refresher training course. Get her into a basic obedience class where the dogs are in a more structured setting with a professional there on hand to help if something were to break out. The mental stimulation will do her good even if she knows all of her commands and you will have many dogs there to create controlled bonds with rather than just releasing her to figure her way on her own.

Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Major problem. Plz HELP!   Major problem. Plz HELP! EmptyTue Apr 26, 2016 1:48 pm

Can you take her to a socialization class this would be like a puppy refresher? Maybe take her to the outside of a dog park and she can see the dogs coming and going? The goal should be to teach the dog to behave calmly in public and on walks, rather than “play nicely” at the dog park. Bring lots of small, tasty treats on your walks and reward her for sitting quietly and responding to his name while other dogs pass by at a safe distance. If she should bark at another dog, simply get her attention and walk her away from the situation. Once she is calm, you can continue your walk.
If your heart is set on social time with other dogs, start by introducing her to one dog at a time. Invite a friend to bring her gentle, easygoing dog on a walk with you and her. Allow polite distance between dogs while they get accustomed to each other. If both dogs appear relaxed throughout the walk, allow them to sniff each other briefly. Keep leashes loose and each interaction short. If either dog appears to be tensing up, call the dogs apart with pleasant, relaxed voices. If both dogs’ bodies appear loose and tails are wagging, consider an off-leash session in one of your fenced yards with leashes dragging, using the same short sessions and reinforcement for relaxed behavior. Also you might include taking your dog out frequently to meet other people. The dog store the hardware store etc

Myasmom89
Newborn
Newborn
Myasmom89

PostSubject: Re: Major problem. Plz HELP!   Major problem. Plz HELP! EmptySun May 08, 2016 7:35 pm

I plan on trying to enroll her in a doggie daycare when I move and start making more money. I want to be able to take her to a dog park without fear of something happening. She's typically better when she's off the leash and meeting dogs for the first time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Major problem. Plz HELP!   Major problem. Plz HELP! Empty

Back to top Go down

Major problem. Plz HELP!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1