It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Finding a Home....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 1:50 pm

Sky is the perfect name for her, it's in the shade of blue to her eyes. She's beautiful. Glad everything went so well Al ! I'm so happy for all involved, once everything settles down and gets back to normal, zoomies will resume and a lot of playing going on Smile it's an adjustment for all. Congrats Al ! Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 2:24 pm

Echoing everyone's congrats here. Glad everything is going so smoothly. Uneventful transitions are such a wonderful thing. I'm happy to hear things worked out and she's in a great home.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 5:37 pm

Aye, pretty uneventful now.  Last evening it wouldn't have surprised me had there been some 'fireworks'  For the time being, Sasha is in her room - pretty normal; Avalanche is under the Jeep - also pretty normal; and Sky is right beside my computer stool - which is okay but I am really more used to more independence.   So I guess it safe to say that everyone is keeping to themselves as the situation works itself out.  

I'm still tired from that jaunt yesterday too many miles / hours without much rest along the way.  Think I'll head up to the restaurant and see what I can find for food ... don't feel like cooking.

Thanks every one for your best wishes - and especially Thank you Shar

ETA:  Well, suffice it to say that Sky doesn't like french fries, lettuce, tomato and not overly impressed with hamburger.  She wasn't begging when I went out to get a meal but figured I'd see what her reaction was - none!

I put her on lead on the front porch with Avalanche since I don't dare have her in the house when I feed Sasha; poor little girl got barked at by Avalanche when she was nibbling at his food, but he still doesn't look like he really cares if she eats it or not.  In retrospect, she growled at Avalanche as she was eating from his bowl so it may have been her bark - so far I haven't heard a peep out of her - nada!! If they (Avalanche and Sky) continue to eat from the same bowl, I'm going to have to up the quality of what I'm feeding.

I think in time that she and Avalanche will be buds; Sasha is just being a reluctant Beach, but that's just her!  24 hours at home and still no fireworks so ( crossing fingers ) it looks like everything's going smoothly.  

Comment: Depends on what I'm doing / where I'm going but in the past I'd often take just one dog with me so taking just Sky when I went to get a meal was normal.  Had to laugh when we came back in because Sasha (it wasn't even a) snapped at her which didn't phase Sky at all.  

She came to me with a UTI - I'm thinking that that odor might be why A & S are so interested in her.  Doesn't make Sky too happy to constantly have a nose prodding her but she's on Cephelexin which should clear it up in short order.

RETA:  Wanted a picture to show Sky and Avalanche, side by side - as if they're going to cooperate.
home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 Img_2010

She really is considerably shorter than Avalanche though it doesn't look it in this picture.  Sorry about the photo, it has the setting sun through two windows behind them.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 11:32 pm

congratulation Al, and glade to hear every thing is going well.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2016 12:20 am

Well, it has been going well but for some reason the bitch came out this evening!  
Generally Sasha and Avalanche get along fine as long as he stays away from her food bowl - still not completely under control, but it's getting there.
Sky has been ignoring Sasha, she's been hiding beside my computer chair.  I don't know what prompted it but Sasha took after Sky like she was going to eat her alive.  Finally got Sky outside (she's been on lead) and turned on Sasha to tell her to go to her room (and of course Avalanche gets out for an unplanned run)
Checked Sky over and even though it looked and sounded like Sasha was going to eat her up, she didn't even get a scratch so Sasha was delivering a message (wish I knew what it was) probably that she was the chief bitch here!
I know I can expect a couple of these but that doesn't mean that *I* have to like it and poor Sky was simply scared - almost could read a "What'd I do???"
I knew it was going too smoothly with Sasha!!!

ETA:  While I had Sasha out earlier brushing her (before the above) - she's blowing her coat and I swear over the past month I could have built 5 new dogs from the hair I brushed out of her - I heard Avalanche and Sky playing, bouncing off one wall and then the next!  I heard Sky bark one time - sorta high pitched, probably playful, compared to Avalanches "really big dog" bark.  It irritates me that Sasha can't just relax and go with the flow ..... she's got to be the head bitch!!

Another ETA: I was going through the paperwork that came with Sky.  She was adopted from a pound Oct 2014 as Gemma (one owner I presume before she was picked up) by CH (second owner) given to<??> RR Kaiyah(third owner) who couldn't keep her because she kept running away and gave her to Shar Sky (fourth owner) who gave her to me (fifth owner) - - I'm surprised she's as good natured and well behaved as she is all things considered.  I know things will change as time goes on but I seriously can't picture this pup becoming a problem child.  She can't counter surf, she's not big enough to get to the counter Smile but my dog food is in bags setting on the floor and she hasn't even looked at them that I can tell.

Last edited by aljones on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2016 1:37 am

Congrats on your new addition Al !!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2016 2:21 am

Mobezilla wrote:
Congrats on your new addition Al !!! Very Happy

Thanks, but I'm not even going to try to compete with you!  Three's my limit!!  After having met Sky and having her here for just a day, she a real sweet young thing, as laid back as Avalanche.  Right now she and Avalanche are sprawled on the living room floor while Sasha's on the front porch for the night.

Trying to see how to do her pita-pat. I just got her but she's also about 2.5 to 3 years old (adopted 10/2014 as a year old). Do I just want a "got you day" or an approximate birth day or ?????

Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2016 2:53 am

Haha what #6 is going to be so much fun just you wait and hear about it.

Seriously so happy for you, glad to hear it's going smoothly. I personally celebrate approximate birthdays rather than gotcha days. But you can do whatever you like, the gotcha days can be nicer since it's counting from the day you actually got them.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2016 3:11 am

do a gotcha day Al....and congrats by the way, so very happy for you and for Sky....poor little thing, I can't believe her name was changed so many times, and has had so many homes, how crazy....keep us updated on your lovely trio...hahaha...I love the pic btw, they will be best friends, and well Sasha, there's always top dog...... Smile
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2016 9:18 am

Congratulations, Al! There will be a few bumps in the road but it's sounding like things are going pretty smoothly so far! Definitely keep us updated. Very Happy

aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2016 11:46 am

MiyasMomma wrote:
do a gotcha day Al....and congrats by the way, so very happy for you and for Sky....poor little thing, I can't believe her name was changed so many times, and has had so many homes, how crazy....keep us updated on your lovely trio...hahaha...I love the pic btw, they will be best friends, and well Sasha, there's always top dog...... Smile

I'm thinking about a gotcha day, but I also like to have an idea of how old they are.  I can't believe that Avalanche is almost 6! and he came to me when he was just about a year old - time flies!!!

Sasha's been with me for almost 4.5 years ( and hasn't bitten me in the past year so there's progress! ) She was about 2 when I got her but have no *real* idea how old she is.

Sky, well, I can project that she was probably born in the winter of 2013-2014 (let's say Jan 2014) which would make her the 2.5 - 3 years old that Shar's vet said she is.  

I think it's time to put Sasha on one end of a rope and Sky on the other and take them for a walk - but it's been so blasted hot here that none of us feel like doing much but lazing around. (9:45 and we're at 90f already)

When I was going through the paperwork - and very surprised that there was as much of it as there was, considering - well, it looks like she's been rehomed, on average, about every 6 months.  Of course that prompts the "I wonder why?" Shar says that she destroyed a crate and has the marks on her nose to prove it, but this is one dog that doesn't need to be crated; I haven't seen her even try to get into anything.  RR's reason was that wouldn't stay, had to get out and run off.  I've got her on a lead with Avalanche out front that she could pull loose and hasn't - she seems to be happy hanging with her big bro (and avoiding her big sis!)

Rambling again .....

Last edited by aljones on Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2016 1:06 pm

I would imagine typical husky things played into her early rehomes since you mentioned running. Young dogs need walks and exercise and some much more than others. Having the heartworms I'm sure has slowed her down a bunch. I think the big question is going to be how long will it take for her to bounce back to her normal self, whatever that may be if it's much different than how she is now. I see dogs come through our shelters here all the time that go to a home and come back and will do this repeatedly and there's definitely a reason for it. Usually a young hyper dog and people who aren't realistic with their time and dedication. My mom has a black lab pup, year old now, that was rehomed twice before he was 12 weeks old.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2016 2:35 pm

Jenn, I imagine you're probably right - it's just that this pup is so laid back that it's uncanny.  When I pick up a leash she's ready (but I'm not, it's too hot until well after the sun's gone down)   Part of it may be the recovery from heartworm - the procedure was a little over a month ago.  It's almost time for my yearly with Sasha and Avalanche so I'll take her in as well for a followup with her new vet (same vet, just new to her)

ETA: Since I've pretty much chewed up this thread, I may as well keep going on it.  Sasha is chipped with HomeAgain and so is Sky; Avalanche is chipped by Petwatch.  That's irrelevant but prompts the question:  Where are your dogs chips?  Avalanche and Sahsa are chipped between their shoulder blades, Sky is chipped above her right hip which seems like an odd location to me.  Comments??

And she caught me off guard - she can counter surf, got the butter I got out to make toast with this morning Smile Gonna have to set her up and change that in a big hurry!

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2016 1:25 pm

Gonna have to do something about these two!  Sky was laying by my computer stool and Sasha came over; Sky growled at her and it was on - "Hey, let me get my feet out of the way!!" - Sky may be two inches shorter and half Sasha's weight but she's not backing down.  I see blood nicks on both of them, nothing major, so hopefully they'll decide that this isn't too smart! My problem with Sasha is that she tends to intensify in her disputes and I don't want to see either of them hurt.

Took both of them out - individually - for a walk last night, I'm not comfortable getting them out at the same time even though they somewhat co-exist at home. I know it's early but *I* really do not like chaos!

Sasha's in her room and Sky's under my stool - argh!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2016 2:26 pm

aljones wrote:

Sasha's in her room and Sky's under my stool - argh!!!!!!!

You have an Archer lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Congratulations on Sky, some times its nice coming in late and reading the story with out having to wait on the news!

S&J are with home again and i think its between their shoulder blades, maybe Sky's moved?

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2016 7:45 pm

Thanks Jennifer - nope, the paperwork says "rhip" which I found really odd. But then I find a lot of things odd as I grow older ....

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2016 7:59 pm

Al - you might want to re-chip her in the shoulder area...my thinking is that is typically where they are placed and if she takes off, the hip might not be scanned.

Ami's and Archer's chips are between the shoulder blades.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2016 9:38 pm

I'll be in to the vets in a week or so - after I run out of Cephelexin for her UTI and about two months after her heart worm procedure and have my vet give her a checkup. I'll ask about rechipping her then.

Stupid dogs! A while after their discussion earlier, Sasha wanted out; then when she came back in she was trying to fit under my stool and Sky was lounging in the middle of the living room floor.

Sky's not eating much, nibbles at Avalanches food, has nibbled at hers - which I put down when Sasha's out back after her meal. I put her out on the front porch with Avalanche when I feed Sasha, I don't really need a *real* dog fight here!!

Two are as easy as one; three are *not* as easy as two!!!

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2016 12:23 pm

Just an update.  

Avalanche - what's to say about Avalanche, he wants to play with anyone / everyone.  He's just Avalanche.

Sasha - Made it through yesterday without any crises, that's progress. She's spending more time in "her room" than normal.  Took Sasha out last evening for duty and a short walk - the black kitten was setting on the back porch and we didn't see him till we turned to go out the door. Kitten goes "Hisssssssss!!" and Sasha walks around him (he doesn't move) *very* carefully!  The black kitten has also laid just inside the pet gate that separates the back room from the "mud<??> room" and Sasha will lay on this side and talk to him.  White kitten is still scared to death of both me and Sasha - he'll come out when I bring in food but otherwise I'm not always sure he's there.  Sasha is still trying some dominance moves but nothing serious, she air snapped at Sky when I brought her (Sky) back in and Sky just wanted back out.  "The best defense is avoidance."?

Sky - has taken up permanent residence under my computer stool.  Tolerates visits from Sasha and Avalanche but not enthusiastic.  Avalanche was trying to get her to play this morning and didn't get any more than Sky lifting a paw, hit him in the face a couple of times.  Sky has stolen Avalanches sleeping place (beside the couch where I sleep.)  She come up a couple of times to get petted before she gets down for the night.  I think if I really slept in the bedroom (too hot!!) she'd sleep on the bed.  She's discovered the kittens but is absolutely uninterested in them.

Individual walks with Sasha and Sky are uneventful; Sasha, off lead, still stays within 100 feet of me or so; keeps checking to see where I am.  Sky is ready to go when I pick up a leash (for that matter, so is Avalanche) I'm not sure whether that's because she wants to go out for a walk or to get away from the troll(s).  Shar said that Sky will stay with her outside and as much as she's a shadow inside I think that might be right but I'm not ready to try her off lead. And not really ready to take both Sasha and Sky out at the same time (probably should.)

Stupid bunny outside and Avalanche wants to go play .....

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 31, 2016 11:45 am

I'm going to wrap this thread up since it's been abused to the hilt with all the frustrated comments .... and general observations.

I can't do a "52 weeks of ???", since in one fashion or another all my dogs have been rescues, while we may see a lot of development over the years (Sash's food aggression for example) I don't have the "cute" pictures of a puppy growing up.  I've been around here enough that I think a scrapbook of 'the pack' might be in order ... so cue in The Desert Pack

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finding a Home....   home - Finding a Home.... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Finding a Home....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2