It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

getting started mushing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mr fluffy pants
Newborn
Newborn
mr fluffy pants

Male Join date : 2009-05-24

getting started mushing Empty
PostSubject: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 7:16 am

hey i will start of with the equipment needed its a bit of money at first but when you see how much fun it is for you and your dog the cost will not be a issue i will post how to start using the equipment in a couple of days

Equipment

The equipment used for this sport is a little out of the ordinary. The main items required are as follows:
*Harness
*Gangline
*Neckline (only required if running more than 1 dog)
*Scooter/Rig (or Bike to begin with)
*Helmet
Harness

This is the most important part of your equipment. These are made to order for each individual dog, therefore the better the fit, the more comfortable your dog will be while running. You can't just use any harness, you must get one that is designed for this sport (Ie a standard dog car harness just won't do).
The most common type of sledding harness is the X-back, but there are other variations out there for those wanting something more specific.
url=https://servimg.com/view/13942631/11]getting started mushing Dsc01910[/url]
Gangline

This is a slightly elasticated cord that runs between the front of the scooter/rig/bike and connects to the rear of the dogs harness. The elastic or bungee part of the cord is used to reduce the strain on the dogs back as it takes off. Depending on the number of dogs you run will depend on what gangline configuration you require.
getting started mushing Dsc01911
Neckline

A small cord/rope that connects adjacent running dogs' collars to help them from drifting apart while running. These cords are made to come apart to prevent injury in the event that the dogs go either side of a tree/obstacle. This doesn't help the poor musher but the dogs will be fine.
getting started mushing Dsc01912
Scooter/Rig

The scooter is the most common wheeled device used by mushers. It generally has mountain bike wheels, a bike front and a footplate between for the musher to stand on. The scooter is used for teams of 1 or 2 dogs, anything bigger than this will require the musher to incur the cost of purchasing a Rig. Rigs are a 3-wheeled version of the scooter and provide better stability when running 3 or more dogs. The more dogs you have the faster you generally go and the Rig provides better handling for this.
getting started mushing Dsc02010

i get most of my equipment from a place called windchill
www.windchill.com.au and the rest i make myself
if you got ant questions just ask
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 10:39 am

Wow! This is a GREAT write up, mr fluffy pants Smile Thanks so much for this information Smile I'm sure members will have many questions for you as time moves on.

getting started mushing Hailey10
Back to top Go down
TyphonInc
Puppy
Puppy
TyphonInc

Male Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 2:21 pm

mr fluffy pants wrote:
*Scooter/Rig (or Bike to begin with)

How did this work with a bike?
I would love to try it, and prolly can justify the cost of a harness and gangline.
But have a mountin bike and helmet that don't get used enough as is..
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 4:40 pm

TyphonInc wrote:
How did this work with a bike?

getting started mushing 1234718639605
Works great for us! Just two things:
1. Don't try when drinking.
getting started mushing 1
I had a few glasses of wine one afternoon and decided to tie the dogs to the bike. We never made it past the driveway. Use proper equipment and use it sober.

2. It may seem simple, but tie on to the center of the handlebars. Again, I learned this one during the drunken fail-fest.

Also, we did tons of directional training during walks for almost a year before trying even one dog pulling out front.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 5:03 pm

can you tell me more about what you mean when you say directional training during walks? is that just saying what you are doing when you do it during a walk, like cross when you are crossing the street and turn when going down a different street?
Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

Male Join date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 5:49 pm

"Drunken fail-fest" Lol'zers!

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
mr fluffy pants
Newborn
Newborn
mr fluffy pants

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 7:44 am

i will take a pic and explain how i connect my gang line to my bike, scooter ,rig all much the same way every body has there own way so this is just the way i do it
Back to top Go down
mr fluffy pants
Newborn
Newborn
mr fluffy pants

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 8:18 am

getting started mushing Dsc02011

hey, here is the pic of how i connect my gang line to my scooter/bike.

first i use about a 2 foot long piece of webbing (from a rock climbing shop) and make it into a sling. I then attach it to my scooter/bike at the head set (not on the handle bars) and to the end of the gang line.

I also use some elastic cord (from the local hardware)
to connect my handle bars (near the grips) to the sling aswell. I then connect them both to the gang-line which helps pull the gang line away from the wheels when you are stopping or slowing down. Refer to pics....

Last edited by mr fluffy pants on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 9:53 am

mr fluffy pants wrote:
hey here is the pic of how i connect my gang line to my scooter and the same way to a bike first i use some webbing i buy it from a rock climbing shop
about a 2 foot long and make a sling out of it to witch i attach my scooter/bike at the head set not on the handle bars and the other end to the end of the gang line i also use some elastic cord that i get from the local hardware
that i connect to my handle bars near the grips and the other end to the sling then connect the to them both to the gang-line witch pulls the gang line away from the wheels when you are stopping or slowing down hope it makes sense
I am NOT trying to be mean... I am the nice one around here! But this is seriously difficult for me to read.

We really need you to at least TRY and use some punctuation. I don't race, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say and without punctuation this is one HUGE run-on sentence that I can't really make sense of.

Can you pleeaase edit it, so that we all know what you're talking about?

Thanks for all the great information so far!

Back to top Go down
mr fluffy pants
Newborn
Newborn
mr fluffy pants

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 10:20 am

Koda wrote:
mr fluffy pants wrote:
hey here is the pic of how i connect my gang line to my scooter and the same way to a bike first i use some webbing i buy it from a rock climbing shop
about a 2 foot long and make a sling out of it to witch i attach my scooter/bike at the head set not on the handle bars and the other end to the end of the gang line i also use some elastic cord that i get from the local hardware
that i connect to my handle bars near the grips and the other end to the sling then connect the to them both to the gang-line witch pulls the gang line away from the wheels when you are stopping or slowing down hope it makes sense
I am NOT trying to be mean... I am the nice one around here! But this is seriously difficult for me to read.

We really need you to at least TRY and use some punctuation. I don't race, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say and without punctuation this is one HUGE run-on sentence that I can't really make sense of.

Can you pleeaase edit it, so that we all know what you're talking about?

Thanks for all the great information so far!

you are not just the nicest you are the most intelligent one to lol!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 10:25 am

mr fluffy pants wrote:
you are not just the nicest you are the most intelligent one to lol!
I wouldn't go that far Wink But thanks Smile

Back to top Go down
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 12:25 am

Nice write up getting started mushing 768634
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 10:10 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mr fluffy pants
Newborn
Newborn
mr fluffy pants

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 4:38 am

i am still around but i do not write stuff any more
some people here are too fussy about spelling and gramer
so i just watch now
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 10:18 am

Aw, c'mon. We pick on Jenn for that now.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 2:13 pm

mr fluffy pants wrote:
so i just watch now

hey i would not mind sharing the spotlight for getting picked on! come on and write more Smile
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 10:44 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 11:53 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
mr fluffy pants wrote:
so i just watch now

But you have an easy out, just say thats how it is spelled or stated in Oz.
You've made me laugh quite a few times today... I have now dubbed you "Comedic Relief" (See under your name to to the left? Congratulations!

Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

Male Join date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 4:32 am

harrise wrote:
Aw, c'mon. We pick on Jenn for that now.

This

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 9:35 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mr fluffy pants
Newborn
Newborn
mr fluffy pants

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 9:23 am

hhhhhhhhhhooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 10:03 am

WaaaaahhhhhooooooooooWoooooooWowowooooooohhhhoooooohoooowooo, woo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: getting started mushing   getting started mushing Empty

Back to top Go down

getting started mushing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1