It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

"High Value Treats" and training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
EddieJ
Newborn
Newborn
EddieJ

"High Value Treats" and training Empty
PostSubject: "High Value Treats" and training   "High Value Treats" and training EmptySat Jun 10, 2017 12:46 pm

Hello everyone, have a question.. New here by the way..

What are some High Value treats you have discovered for your Husky? Jax is going on 9 weeks old, have had him for a week now and he is kinda picky with his treats when it comes to potty/crate training. Have tried Zukes, Blue Bites and some various others.. He is kinda into them, but many times he kinda cares less after he goes potty. He always gets praised for being a good boy but I feel he is not associating his reward for a job well done. Now we are kinda crazy as we also have a 12 week old Golden Retriever that we are raising as well! It's a handful to say the least! Very interesting to see how different their personalities are.. They are both being crate trained and they are doing pretty well. Tough part about this is play time, we keep it structured and keep them by us but can't really tether Jax and Olive would just pull him around by the leash. I am very vigilant when Jax decides he wants to roam and he gets instantly retrieved and redirected. I have always wanted a Husky and have done my research, and I am well aware of the challenge. So of course I add a Golden just to make it a wee bit tougher! LOL!!
Back to top Go down
Doray
Newborn
Newborn
Doray

Female Join date : 2017-06-07

PostSubject: Re: "High Value Treats" and training   "High Value Treats" and training EmptySat Jun 10, 2017 1:26 pm

I have only tried the orijen treats from chewy and they pretty much go crazy over their smell, and if they do really really well on walks/no pull no reactivity I give them a piggy smoked ear from meijer.
Back to top Go down
mattyq25
Newborn
Newborn
mattyq25

Male Join date : 2017-06-09

PostSubject: Re: "High Value Treats" and training   "High Value Treats" and training EmptySat Jun 10, 2017 3:34 pm

Sherlock is 5 months old now and he was the same exact way with treats when he was that young. Nothing interested him.. that was until we tried turkey cold cuts. He would probably do a backflip for some if he could have. As soon as he hit around 3 months old any treat was game and he will eat just about anything (literally). We give orijen treats as well as treats by the real meat company.
Back to top Go down
EddieJ
Newborn
Newborn
EddieJ

PostSubject: Re: "High Value Treats" and training   "High Value Treats" and training EmptySat Jun 10, 2017 4:11 pm

Will give that a try next.. Thanks!
Now the golden is always excited for any treat, hell, just a kibble of her dog food works lol!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: "High Value Treats" and training   "High Value Treats" and training EmptySat Jun 10, 2017 4:22 pm

Cheese sticks in tiny pieces, hot dogs, cool up a chicken breast, make little nuggets and freeze. If he's not ready oriented and likes his kibble, save a portion of that and use for treats.
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: "High Value Treats" and training   "High Value Treats" and training EmptyTue Jun 13, 2017 12:29 am

I think it might be just a phase. My pup wasn't very food motivated when she was 7-9 weeks old probably due to the stress of being separated from her mom and litter mates. I ended up ordering freeze dried liver treats because it's very high value. She goes crazy for them! Even during her initial picky stage. Now she's a ravenous little Monster and will gobble up anything including clumps of Anya's hair after I brush her "High Value Treats" and training 1625187496
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
EddieJ
Newborn
Newborn
EddieJ

PostSubject: Re: "High Value Treats" and training   "High Value Treats" and training EmptyWed Jul 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Freeze Dried Chicken Liver and Salmon Jerky are the high value treats that JAX just can't get enough of now.

Now, as for potty training he is a handful!! He is now 12 weeks, we have had him 4 weeks and it seems he hasn't made much progress at times!! For one, he doesn't seem to mind peeing in his crate, and yes, it's the proper size as I have it partitioned off . He will be in the middle of playing or whatever, and just stop and pee.. he gives no 'warning signs' .. I firmly yell NO and take him outside to finish. Taking him out on a schedule obviously helps as he will always go and pretty much pees on command outside'. It's the I am not supposed to potty inside part that he seems to struggle with. Don't think its a bladder problem or anything like that because he will go 3-4 hours at night with no problem at all. I get up on a schedule and take him out and his has a full bladder and takes a long pee. It's during the day that at times he will pee in his crate at times even after only a little bit of time and he had just gone outside.

Too early for a Boy Husky to get it?  Now maybe we are spoiled as our female Golden Retriever (who is 15 weeks, and we got her 1 week before Jax)  has been an absolute breeze to potty train. I feel we are doing everything correctly and I guess I am just looking for some others that will say, yeah, my Husky was a challenge to potty train, did all the same things and one day he figured it out! LOL!!! Maybe he is just late on bladder control..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "High Value Treats" and training   "High Value Treats" and training Empty

Back to top Go down

"High Value Treats" and training

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1