It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New owner, meet Kai! A few questions..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kaihoo
Newborn
Newborn

New owner, meet Kai! A few questions.. Empty
PostSubject: New owner, meet Kai! A few questions..   New owner, meet Kai! A few questions.. EmptyMon Nov 20, 2017 6:40 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a new husky owner!  Or hope he's a husky(may be a mix?) I adopted him a few weeks ago, at the age of 6 months.. He was diagnosed with parvo but has since survived.. He got sick a day after i brought him home... After a week in and out of the vet/ER, he is as strong as ever and showing a lot of character. I've crated trained him for about 3 days now.. He whines and is so dramatic for about 30 minutes when he is in there.. I stay with him in the living room to quiet him down and teach positive reinforcement. He is extremely dramatic in his whines and cries...

I've made some training experience with my Shiba Inu and Pembroke corgi.. And hopefully he gets accustomed to the crate for sleeping soon!

I've named him Kai, and i was wondering if you guys could help me determine if he's a mix between a malamute or if he's just gonna be a big sib boy? He is quiet a large snout, and some fairly large paws.. He is currently about 30lbs, because... well he was very sick.

Also, an recommendations for other toys? Like all my dogs, ive gotten a deer antler(which he loves right now), Himalayan chews, rope balls, rope, tennis balls and a few stuffed animals. As well as a kong to keep him busy in the crate.

Here is some photos: (* for some reason it wont let me upload here..)

imgur.com /a/xrCOp
Back to top Go down
Misty Mia Husky
Teenager
Teenager
Misty Mia Husky

Female Join date : 2017-09-19

PostSubject: Re: New owner, meet Kai! A few questions..   New owner, meet Kai! A few questions.. EmptyTue Nov 21, 2017 11:46 am

Congrats on your new dog!  I can't see the photos, but maybe someone else can ...?  Smile  My last dog was a Shiba, too!  I've also had a Malamute, and now I have a Husky -- and, yeah, both breeds are definitely full of drama queens.  I've also seen Huskies that look like Malamutes and Malamutes that look like Huskies.  Paw size and muzzle width aren't always giveaways since some Huskies get pretty big.  Without a breeding record, unless you have genetic testing done you might not be able to tell until he's older.

Misty is a toy-loving dog, too.  I recently got her a dog box subscription to help keep her entertained and stocked up on new toys and treats.  The two companies that deliver to my area that seem best for toys are BarkBox (the version for large dogs that are heavy chewers) and BullyMake. We settled on BullyMake for Misty because she seems to like their toys and chews the best.  It might be worth it to look up something similar that will deliver to your home.  Good luck!

Last edited by Misty Mia Husky on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: New owner, meet Kai! A few questions..   New owner, meet Kai! A few questions.. EmptyTue Nov 21, 2017 11:46 am

New owner, meet Kai! A few questions.. 5Nu6MpE

There is a sticky at the top called "How to upload Pictures", inside that post is an updated version. In short though, depending on your browser (I use chrome), you can right click on your image in imgur and select "copy image address" and then click on the the little picture icon with the green + in the toolbar above and paste into that.

He looks full husky to me. Pictures of him standing would help, but for the most part considering his age unless he is severely underweight then I wouldn't expect him to go over breed standard by much if at all. Breed standard for males is as much as 60 pounds. Different lines grow at different rates. Some put a lot of growth on early and slow down a lot after 6-7 months. Others might still have some growth spurts left but in general are done by a year and will start to fill out until 2 years or so.

My boy loves a rubber squeaky ball from JW pets. Pretty much the only thing he will play with. As for chews we have elk antlers and moose. I steer away from whitetail antlers because they are harder than other antlers and can break dogs teeth. We also do chicken feet and pork ribs for teeth cleaning.

Welcome to the forum!

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New owner, meet Kai! A few questions..   New owner, meet Kai! A few questions.. EmptyTue Nov 21, 2017 8:19 pm

Let's see if these images pop up, but i am definetly being tested for crate training. I was up until 3AM consoling him while he whined.. while laying down staring out the crate.

New owner, meet Kai! A few questions.. KAtIZJY
New owner, meet Kai! A few questions.. HfKNCl9
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: New owner, meet Kai! A few questions..   New owner, meet Kai! A few questions.. EmptyWed Nov 22, 2017 11:35 am

He has beautiful markings. Huskies will take advantage if they think they can. Ignoring them completely usually works out better in some cases. Maybe move the crate into your bedroom so you can actually get some decent sleep at night or even just leave him in the living room and close your door to block out his noise if you can get away with that. Some people in apartments can't so that is understandable. Sometimes covering the crate to cut out light and create a deeper den helps too. My male, who is also named Kye with different spelling, didn't do so hot being crated out of the room with us but in the bedroom he did better. We were comfortable and better able to ignore him and it was darker. he would cry and fight the crate in the living room but was fine in our bedroom.

Teenager
Teenager
Misty Mia Husky

Female Join date : 2017-09-19

PostSubject: Re: New owner, meet Kai! A few questions..   New owner, meet Kai! A few questions.. EmptyWed Nov 22, 2017 12:04 pm

Yay, photos -- thanks! Very Happy Yeah, he's a very good-looking boy! He definitely looks like a Husky to me, though my Malamute looked very lean and Husky-like when he was an "adolescent." Blue eyes are extremely rare in Mals and considered a disqualifying fault in the show ring, but they do occur. Blue eyes are much more common, and breeder-acceptable, in Huskies.

I agree with Jenn -- Ignoring Misty for unwanted behavior has certainly worked well with her. As long as he's not trying to chew or break out of his crate, Kai should calm down and accept his crate after a couple of nights of ignoring his whining. We put Misty's crate in the bedroom with us when we're sleeping.

I also recommend leaving some music or a radio on medium-to-low volume for Kai when he's crated while you're away (we play radio via an Echo Dot/Alexa that's linked to an ANKR speaker). Misty has gotten so conditioned by the radio that she starts yawning and calming down whenever she hears music (some truth to the old saying Music Soothes the Savage Beast?). We also use a "white noise" machine in the bedroom while we're sleeping (I like LectroFan, but Big Red Rooster is also good) . Originally we bought it because my husband ... well, he snores. It also seems to work well for helping Misty to calm down and go to sleep in her crate at night.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New owner, meet Kai! A few questions..   New owner, meet Kai! A few questions.. Empty

Back to top Go down

New owner, meet Kai! A few questions..

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1