A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.
 
HomeSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Kohdi, Mishka, and Jimmy!, our October HOTM winners! HOTM - November : TBA!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Kohdi, Mishka, and Jimmy,
our October HOTM Winners!
Cool Weather Zoomies!





Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys


Share
 

 A few questions - from a new Husky owner

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mntutas
Newborn
Newborn
mntutas

Female Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : Wisconsin

A few questions - from a new Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: A few questions - from a new Husky owner   A few questions - from a new Husky owner EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 2:00 pm

Hello Husky World! I would like to say how excited I am to be joining this forum. This is definitely something that I have been looking for ever since my husband said he wanted to get a Siberian Husky.

So we have had our puppy for about 2 months now (he is going to be 4 months this Friday) and are starting to see some "problems" that I'm not quite sure how to handle.

1) I know he has started to teeth, he has lost 3 already. With that being said before he started teething we had a pretty good handle on him not biting us, only his toys. Well he definitely has been biting us again and hard. Obviously his mouth hurts and we try to give him plenty of toys with different textures and what not to play with instead of our hands. Is there any toy or trick that really helps him get through this easier?

2) Crate training seems to be a wonderful topic on here! We started from day one and haven't stopped since. We continue to up the time slowly as he gets older and is able to hold his bladder longer. He pretty much has been sleeping through the night consistently for about 2 weeks for up to 7 hours. But when we put him in there during the day (he is always let out to potty and gets some form of exercise so he is tired before putting him in) I would say half of the time he is good and half of the time he throws a FIT! This is something I'm not going to give up on but will this eventually get better with age? Or will he continue to be on and off in his kennel?

3) Vocalization! Part of me loves it and part of me doesn't understand it. Some of the noises I know he is just talking but recently they have puzzled me. I don't think they are signs of aggression but how is one to be sure? He has gotten a lot more vocal when doing things to him such as wiping off his feet from being outside in the wet grass, petting him, putting on his leash, etc and I'm wondering if it is because he is teething or could it be something a little more serious??? I want to nip this in the butt right away if it is signs of aggression.

I think those are the recent things I have noticed that I would appreciate some thoughts on by owners who have gone through this or are going through this right now. Thank you in advance and I look forward to one day being able to help a new Husky owner like me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04
Location : Aurora, CO

A few questions - from a new Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions - from a new Husky owner   A few questions - from a new Husky owner EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 5:21 pm

@mntutas wrote:


1) I know he has started to teeth, he has lost 3 already. With that being said before he started teething we had a pretty good handle on him not biting us, only his toys. Well he definitely has been biting us again and hard. Obviously his mouth hurts and we try to give him plenty of toys with different textures and what not to play with instead of our hands. Is there any toy or trick that really helps him get through this easier?

Cold things sometimes seems to help...a knotted-up wet sock thrown into the freezer for a little while. I think pet stores also sell toys designed to be frozen to aid in the teething process.


@mntutas wrote:

3) Vocalization! Part of me loves it and part of me doesn't understand it. Some of the noises I know he is just talking but recently they have puzzled me. I don't think they are signs of aggression but how is one to be sure? He has gotten a lot more vocal when doing things to him such as wiping off his feet from being outside in the wet grass, petting him, putting on his leash, etc and I'm wondering if it is because he is teething or could it be something a little more serious??? I want to nip this in the butt right away if it is signs of aggression.

Do you have a video or recording of some sort showing his vocalizations? It's hard to say what he's doing is normal or not without knowing what you know. Smile

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01
Location : Miami,FL

A few questions - from a new Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions - from a new Husky owner   A few questions - from a new Husky owner EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 7:54 pm

@Demon&Dakota wrote:

@mntutas wrote:

3) Vocalization! Part of me loves it and part of me doesn't understand it. Some of the noises I know he is just talking but recently they have puzzled me. I don't think they are signs of aggression but how is one to be sure? He has gotten a lot more vocal when doing things to him such as wiping off his feet from being outside in the wet grass, petting him, putting on his leash, etc and I'm wondering if it is because he is teething or could it be something a little more serious??? I want to nip this in the butt right away if it is signs of aggression.

Do you have a video or recording of some sort showing his vocalizations? It's hard to say what he's doing is normal or not without knowing what you know. Smile


I was just about to ask for a video also! Kody has always made some weird noises, but it's definitely not aggression. Seeing it on a video will help Smile

Oh, and welcome! wave
Back to top Go down
mntutas
Newborn
Newborn
mntutas

Female Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : Wisconsin

A few questions - from a new Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions - from a new Husky owner   A few questions - from a new Husky owner EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Oh I have tried one of those freezable toys and he started to eat it ... so that got taken away. I definitely will see if my husband has an old sock just laying around some where, thanks for the suggestion!

Unfortunately he does it so rare right now that it's hard to have a video watching him all the time lol. But here are two links I found that is kind of the similar noise he has started to make as far as "growling" goes. Try to imagine that the noise is coming from an almost 4 month old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSBvu-hIOVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QpG09J2L-0 - about 24 seconds

Thank you so much for your help!
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04
Location : Aurora, CO

A few questions - from a new Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions - from a new Husky owner   A few questions - from a new Husky owner EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Neither one of those videos make me think aggression. Annoyance perhaps in the first one, poor puppy. But the second one just sounds like a younger version of my Dakota when she's talking to us. A howling, growling Woo talk. Smile
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13
Location : Colorado Springs, CO

A few questions - from a new Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions - from a new Husky owner   A few questions - from a new Husky owner EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 10:13 pm

Rogue does that exact noise all the time to both Koda and my husband and myself. She does it when we play with her, blow in her face, rough house her- it's always been harmless and she always looks like she's goofing around when she does it. I almost always shake her mouth playfully when she does it and she just flops on her back and plays with my hand. Huskies just are vocal and odd sounding.

We also do that face thing to Rogue and she responds the same way and she's just playing around with us.
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07
Location : Cheyenne, Wyoming

A few questions - from a new Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions - from a new Husky owner   A few questions - from a new Husky owner EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:56 am

Sounds like more typical husky noise.

Saphire has a really low growl sound that she makes that honestly scared both me and my dauhter at first. Saphire isn't very vocal and other than occasionally barking at the cat we hadn't really heard much noise from her. Anyway we have been trying to teach her to speak and then the low growl sound started. We have since figured out that it is just her noise. She now makes it when we tell her to speak.

There are lots of video's here or links to videos here of various forum members husky's speaking. Check those out and you will see that husky's make all sorts of crazy noises.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




A few questions - from a new Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions - from a new Husky owner   A few questions - from a new Husky owner Empty

Back to top Go down
 

A few questions - from a new Husky owner

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

-
» composting questions
» Boffer questions...Your steel frames & grid
» Tomato laying down planting questions
» Questions pour mes voyageurs préféré ..
» trellis questions

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Miscellaneous Questions-