It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Yanchik
Newborn
Newborn
Yanchik

Female Join date : 2017-12-01

Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast! Empty
PostSubject: Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast!   Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast! EmptyFri Dec 01, 2017 1:57 pm

Hello everyone!
I’m a first time ever rescued Husky cross owner  Smile I’m very excited to be here!
It looks like I’m addressing here 2 issues at once. I would love to hear your experiences if you encounter similar issue.
Lexie is eating like a Vacuum within 2 min if not less so I read that I can buy a slow feeder bowl or put a big stone or a ball into the bowl itself to slow her down a bit.
I just purchased for her an elevated dog feeder stand but didn’t use it yet because slow feeder bowls doesn't come with stand but by itself on the floor.
Please give me your feedbacks should i even use the elevated stand and put a ball or stone inside a bowl or use the slow feeder bowl instead???
I would love to hear have any other suggestions as well!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast!   Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast! EmptyFri Dec 01, 2017 2:07 pm

I wouldn't use the elevated stand. There is a study that suggests that elevated food bowls can increase a dog's risk of bloat. if you already have the slow feeder, use it. If you don't then I would opt for the trying the ball or even an upside down coffee cup placed in the middle of the bowl. Slow bowls are great. I have one that I have used on two of my rescues. Usually after a year or two they have settled in enough they don't feel the need to suck in their food at warp speed but it doesn't hurt anything to keep using them. They are a little harder to wash, but definitely if you've already bought it, use it. It should serve you well.

Welcome to the forum!

Newborn
Newborn
Yanchik

PostSubject: Re: Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast!   Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast! EmptyFri Dec 01, 2017 2:47 pm

Thank you very much for your response! I will return the elevating dog stand back and purchase a slow bowl feeder.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast!   Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast! EmptyFri Dec 01, 2017 4:01 pm

Reminds of the first time I fed Ami after we adopted him...I leaned over, dumped 2 cups of food into his bowl (misunderstood their instructions...or they misunderstood my question)

Anyway, by the time I stood up, the two cups of food were gone affraid Didn't know about slow feed bowls at the time nor had I found this forum. Ami has since become a "savoring" feeder, frequently wanting the first few nuggets hand fed to him. I also bought a slow feeder bowl a few months ago to use in training my resource guarding foster. He never got the bowl. Ami saw it, tried it...loves it. So it is now his. GO figure.
Back to top Go down
Yanchik
Newborn
Newborn
Yanchik

PostSubject: Re: Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast!   Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast! EmptyFri Dec 01, 2017 5:27 pm

Thank you so much!!! Your dog is beautiful !!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

Female Join date : 2017-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast!   Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast! EmptySat Dec 02, 2017 10:48 am

Dog puzzles slowed down Grant. After early puppyhood, he calmed down. Now he is hand-fed from the human's portion of cooked meat each night and is rather lackadaisical about eating from his bowl. So I guess spoiling him slowed him down.

But he still adores puzzles. We are currently into the Kruuse activity mat.
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast!   Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast! EmptyMon Dec 04, 2017 2:56 pm

Slow feeders are great. My husky could eat a cup of food in 30 seconds. His abdomen would expand and contract in a scary fashion when he ate.
I figure it was due to him being abandoned as a pup. Any food was seen as his last food so he ate like crazy. He'll also overeat if allowed, so I really have to limit him.

Anyways, I got a couple different slow feeders from the same company. I use one for a day or two, then rotate in a new on while the previous one gets washed. This way they stay clean and he gets a new challenge every day or so. He still eats too fast, but it's much better and less frightening.
Back to top Go down
Yanchik
Newborn
Newborn
Yanchik

PostSubject: Re: Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast!   Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast! EmptyMon Dec 04, 2017 3:17 pm

I bought slow feeder few days ago and what a huge change! From 1 and a half minutes eating to 8-9 minutes! Such a great invention. Thank you very much for sharing your experience!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast!   Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast! Empty

Back to top Go down

Lexie 4 month Puppy eating way to fast!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1