It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Cheyenne won't eat full raw so she gets chicken legs/wings with her kibble at night for dinner. We've never had an issue.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 12:08 am

I do feed kibble with THK and raw with THK since THK is in the middle and can be fed with raw or kibble....or so I read.

Ginger is on partial raw - she gets chicken, turkey and fish (if it's not too expensive), and it's fed with THK.

If it's OK to do kibble and raw, then I'd prefer to do that!

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 11:58 am

You can feed kibble and raw together if you want. It's a heavily debated topic but most dogs do just fine when fed kibble and raw together. There is the issue of different digestion rates and most people advise feeding kibble and raw as separate meals if you are going to feed both but many people, myself included, have fed raw and kibble in the same meal and not had any problems.

Tori, THK is not a "true" raw diet in the typical raw diet sense of the word because the meat and dairy products in it are actually "cooked". And by "cooked" I mean they are dehydrated at a temperature above 120 degrees Fahrenheit which essentially kills off any parasites and also makes the food safe for human consumption. The meat and dairy (eggs) in THK are not in their raw form but they do retain more nutrients from gentle dehydration than the high heat, heavily processed meat in kibble and canned foods. The veggies and fruits in THK are dehydrated at temps below 120 degrees Fahrenheit which keeps them in their true raw state. While this may be a turn off for some, I do like that it allows THK to be manufactured in a human food processing facility alongside human foods. You don't have to worry about contamination which is a huge plus if you have kids and babies around. And my favorite part is that it doesn't just contain human grade ingredients, THK actually is safe for human consumption...yes, that means it's safe enough for us to eat! And I have tried several HK formulas myself, all of them tasted awful but my dogs love it and that's all that matters. lol

And it's because THK is sort of a "bridge" diet as I like to describe it (an in-between for kibble and raw) it is very versatile in that you can just as easily feed it with kibble as you can with raw or homecooked or canned foods without having to worry so much about the digestion rate issue as compared with kibble and raw.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 12:39 pm

I knew THK is a 'bridge' to Kibble and a 'bridge' to raw...but I just wasn't sure about raw with kibble, but now that others are feeding like this, I am going to start Storm with some raw!

Thanks everyone!!

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 2:28 pm

We do THK with kibble sometimes, too (usually when we're out of canned food as a "topper" since he won't touch just plain ol' kibble). Usually, we do THK with raw. No ill effects observed feeding either way.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 3:18 pm

I found beef soup bones for $.99 today at the grocery store! Score!
I bought all of them....3 trays, with about 3 cross cut beef bones per tray Smile

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 3:36 pm

Awesome deal!

Just found out today that the store has pork ribs on sale for 99 cent/lb! Hoping to swing by and pick some up if they still have some tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Awesome deal!

Just found out today that the store has pork ribs on sale for 99 cent/lb! Hoping to swing by and pick some up if they still have some tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Speaking of pork ribs! Last week I found some on sale also so got 2 large trays. I gave one to Kody and one to Mya with their THK. That same day I had bought chicken quarters so removed all of the skin (makes Kody's BM slimy) while they were having their dinner so that they wouldn't be in the kitchen begging for chicken.

There was one chicken quarter that had a portion of the meat that was really red and just didn't look right to me so I threw it out.

Well, guess who went in the garbage (within a min mind you) and ate the entire chicken that I threw out? Yep, Kody! He had horrible diarrhea that night. I mean everywhere (even his water bowl..ewww)!

Now, I don't know if the pork doesn't sit well with him (it was his first time eating it) or if it was a mix of the pork and chicken OR if the chicken was bad to begin with? scratch
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 4:18 pm

Aww poor Kody! You probably won't know until you can isolate whether or not he does well on pork without chicken in the mix. Might want to try a small amount of pork again when's he's all clear of stomach upset.

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 4:32 pm

cmanding wrote:
I bought all of them....3 trays, with about 3 cross cut beef bones per tray Smile

Claudia, be careful to supervise them with these! Koda has little chips on a few teeth from soup bones. Not noticeable unless you example his mouth intensely like I do.. but still haha.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 4:49 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
cmanding wrote:

Claudia, be careful to supervise them with these! Koda has little chips on a few teeth from soup bones. Not noticeable unless you example his mouth intensely like I do.. but still haha.

Thanks! I will!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyWed May 25, 2011 11:17 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Aww poor Kody! You probably won't know until you can isolate whether or not he does well on pork without chicken in the mix. Might want to try a small amount of pork again when's he's all clear of stomach upset.

Agreed. I tried a SMALL portion of the pork rib for dinner with his ground beef and some green beans. Sucks that his tummy is so sensitive! Mya does pretty well with everything! =\
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyThu May 26, 2011 12:25 am

MelissaI wrote:
Huskyluv wrote:
Awesome deal!

Speaking of pork ribs! Last week I found some on sale also so got 2 large trays. I gave one to Kody and one to Mya with their THK. That same day I had bought chicken quarters so removed all of the skin (makes Kody's BM slimy) while they were having their dinner so that they wouldn't be in the kitchen begging for chicken.

There was one chicken quarter that had a portion of the meat that was really red and just didn't look right to me so I threw it out.

Well, guess who went in the garbage (within a min mind you) and ate the entire chicken that I threw out? Yep, Kody! He had horrible diarrhea that night. I mean everywhere (even his water bowl..ewww)!

Now, I don't know if the pork doesn't sit well with him (it was his first time eating it) or if it was a mix of the pork and chicken OR if the chicken was bad to begin with? scratch

I'm sorry I missed this!
Hope Kody's tummy gets better fast...I think maybe revisit the pork later when you've settled his tummy...?

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyThu May 26, 2011 2:10 pm

I'm so happy right now! So the store was supposed to have pork ribs on sale for 99 cent/lb and they didn't have any. So I took the sale ad to Walmart for them to price match and they sold me 10 lbs of pork ribs for 80 cent/lb! bounce

Very Happy Happy camper here...although now I wish I had picked up more.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyThu May 26, 2011 2:18 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
I'm so happy right now! So the store was supposed to have pork ribs on sale for 99 cent/lb and they didn't have any. So I took the sale ad to Walmart for them to price match and they sold me 10 lbs of pork ribs for 80 cent/lb! bounce

Very Happy Happy camper here...although now I wish I had picked up more.

Niiiiice!

I have a whole chicken defrosting in the fridge from yesterday. Storm will get about 2 oz and Ginger will get 4 oz for dinner tonight.

This morning Storm's BM was hard from all that soup bone he ate yesterday...I slipped 1 tsp of coconut oil in his food this morning and mid-morning, half his BM was not good. I'm thinking coconut oil doesn't sit well with my 2 Sad

Storm had no problem taking to the beef bone, but Ginger sniffed it, licked it, and then left it alone. I'm thinking I'll have to get meaty beef bones and sear the meat a little to get her going.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyThu May 26, 2011 2:21 pm

Aww, sorry to hear the coconut oil is not agreeing with them. Sad

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyThu May 26, 2011 2:34 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Aww, sorry to hear the coconut oil is not agreeing with them. Sad

I'm a little bummed. I'm still not convinced that Storm can't handle it because I've given it to him before without issue...maybe it was only 1/2 tsp that he got without issue...I'm going to wait a couple of days and try 1/2 tsp for Storm and see what happens...I know I tried 1/2 tsp for Ginger and it messed her up.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyThu May 26, 2011 8:48 pm

cmanding wrote:
MelissaI wrote:
Huskyluv wrote:
Awesome deal!

I'm sorry I missed this!
Hope Kody's tummy gets better fast...I think maybe revisit the pork later when you've settled his tummy...?

Tummy's all better! This happened last week so last night I gave him a little piece of the pork rib along with ground beef and so far so good today! He got chicken for dinner tonight. I'm debating if to let hubby give pork again tomorrow since I'll be gone....hmmm
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 10:43 am

Oh my gosh I had to announce this as I've been waiting forever for this to arrive. Our Costco FINALLY got their first shipment of the Nature's Domain grain free fish based dog food!!! I was beginning to think we'd never see it on the east coast. Dakota doesn't tolerate fish based foods so it's only my chi girls that could eat it but I am so happy to see that they at least finally got it in! Smile

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Hey Nutritional Bookworms, quick question for you...

Nikolai has been rockin' the raw, as long as I remove most of the chicken skin from whatever I'm feeding him. Cosmo has stepped up to eat a little bit of that, but I still have lots of it around. Is that something I can fry down into a gravy for his kibble, or puree into a paste to add to dog treats or something? Should I just toss it? I don't really want it to go to waste... Muchas gracias!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 12:49 pm

I remove most of the skin from Ginger's chicken and toss it. Too much skin for her causes a mucousy film around her BM.

If you wanted him to eat chicken skin, have you tried grating some parmesan cheese, or better yet, tried sprinkling some Nupro on it? Storm and Ginger LOVES Nupro, and it supports their hips and joints!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Didn't mean to answer for Val...just wanted to share my experience...

I'm sure Val will chime in and give you better info.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 12:59 pm

Kate, are you removing the skin because it doesn't agree with Nikolai if the skin is left on? If so then I would just toss it. As Claudia mentioned, too much skin can cause loose stool so it is still super fatty whether you cook it and serve it differently or just leave it on the raw chicken.

I always throw away excess skin if it's not working for my dogs. I've not heard of cooking it up and using it for other foods but I suppose you could try it and see how he does on it.

I do have a question though, who is Cosmo? confused

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 1:07 pm

Cosmo is my cat! I suppose I need to make a signature with both of them on it... ;-) Cosmo is the black cat perched on the corner of my sofa most of the time.

The skin doesn't seem to disagree with Nikolai, he just takes for-stinkin'-EVER to finish a drumstick or thigh if I leave the chicken skin on, vs. take it off. Like 20 minutes vs. about 3 minutes. I'm gonna have to check out the Nupro though - I keep forgetting it whenever I head to the store.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 1:14 pm

CoffeeK8 wrote:
The skin doesn't seem to disagree with Nikolai, he just takes for-stinkin'-EVER to finish a drumstick or thigh if I leave the chicken skin on, vs. take it off. Like 20 minutes vs. about 3 minutes. I'm gonna have to check out the Nupro though - I keep forgetting it whenever I head to the store.

If you're feeding drumsticks and thighs, maybe you could just remove the skin since the dark meat has 1-2 grams more fat than breast meat.

Storm didn't like the Myristin tablets that Ginger gets for glucosamine, but he LOVES Nupro which 'makes a delicious gravy' as it says on the lable.

Check naturalk9supplies.com for the Nupro - it'll be a lot cheaper than if you get it in the pet store, like Chewy's. Chuck & Don's carry it - I checked. I bought the 5 lb tub of Nupro Silver for $34 at Natural K9 Supplies. But if you find it cheaper, let me know...

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 12 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20 ... 29  Next