It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Claudia, can I bum a sample size scoop to see if Nikolai likes it before I take the plunge and buy a whole tub myself?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 2:25 pm

CoffeeK8 wrote:
Claudia, can I bum a sample size scoop to see if Nikolai likes it before I take the plunge and buy a whole tub myself?

It'll cost you '$100,000,000....Muah-ah-ah!' (said in the voice of Dr. Evil... Razz

Just kidding....of course you can bum some off me. They have smaller containers too, but buying it in bigger sizes cost less...just as an FYI if Nikolai takes to Nupro...I'll give you enough for a couple days to try.

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 2:30 pm

cmanding wrote:
CoffeeK8 wrote:

It'll cost you '$100,000,000....Muah-ah-ah!' (said in the voice of Dr. Evil... Razz

Just kidding....of course you can bum some off me. They have smaller containers too, but buying it in bigger sizes cost less...just as an FYI if Nikolai takes to Nupro...I'll give you enough for a couple days to try.

Only a hundred million?! What a bargain! I was hoping it was less than a billion. Hahaha. Thanks, so much!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyFri May 27, 2011 3:28 pm

CoffeeK8 wrote:
cmanding wrote:
CoffeeK8 wrote:

Only a hundred million?! What a bargain! I was hoping it was less than a billion. Hahaha. Thanks, so much!

Just let me know when you want to stop by...I'll also have Nikolai's microchip.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Day 1 on THK's Keen super success! I've never seen my dogs so happy for food! Now's the 2-3 week waiting game to make sure they remain happy with it!

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 10:18 pm

Koda wrote:
Day 1 on THK's Keen super success! I've never seen my dogs so happy for food! Now's the 2-3 week waiting game to make sure they remain happy with it!

I just ordered some trial size THKs for Storm. I think I want to finish up the reduced fat kibble he's on and transition him to THK and raw. I've been giving Storm a wing or drummette with his dinner and he loves it. Of course, Nupro helps...but I think he'll do just fine on raw and THK.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 10:28 pm

Koda wrote:

Yep, same here! I had never seen such excited for food until the THK. The 10min wait is torture for them! More torture for Kody. It's funny...I have to take a video of him one of these days. Gotta admit though, I cheap, and only do it for like 5-6min now. It makes no difference really.

Yay, for Koda and Hailey and their new found love for THK..lol
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 5:44 am

I'm glad Koda and Hailey are lovin' their new food. I was worried that Koda might be picky and turn his nose up at it.

Melissa, I only wait 5 minutes for THK to rehydrate as well. If it sits longer it tends to dry out on me and I end up having to add more water to it.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 10:18 am

Huskyluv wrote:

Melissa, I only wait 5 minutes for THK to rehydrate as well. If it sits longer it tends to dry out on me and I end up having to add more water to it.

Same here!
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 6:03 pm

I'm feeding Demon and Dakota IAMS Lamb and Rice because it worked great on my Samoyed several years ago. Both seem to be doing fine on it, but I'm seeing all these posts about the raw diet. Now there's no way I can afford to feed them both the raw diet, but I might be able to work in some raw chicken a couple times a week just to spice things up a bit. I also liked the idea of the canned sardines.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 9:50 pm

There's alot of people more knowledgeable about pet food on here (like Huskyluv)... but I'll give it a shot. I did quite a bit of research and taste testing with our first sibe to find the healthiest food that he liked (picky bastard Laughing). He'll do a hunger strike for 2 days if you serve him something he doesn't like or if you make the mistake of sneaking him raw meat before his kibble is served.

Most of the Husky rescues around here recommend the Costco Kirkland Lamb & Rice as a decent and cost effective food (if you can't afford a higher rated premium food). It's $32-ish for 40 lbs at Costco. Looks like Iams is about the same price for a 35 lb bag, and Kirkland is rated higher on dogfoodadvisor.com (4 stars vs 2 stars). For a price comparison, we feed a premium food (Nature's Variety Prairie Salmon) and the 30 lb bag is about $55. However, it's 420 calories a cup vs the 338 calories/cup for the Iams Proactive Lamb - so we can feed less ( 2 1/2 vs over 3 cups).

I'm sure the kind folks here can give you some more suggestions on a cost effective but healthy premium food to feed the kids.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 10:06 pm

when i wasn't comfortable with a full raw diet i would give them one cup of Taste of the Wild kibble in the morning, and then for dinner I would give them one raw Chicken thigh, I'd just get a frozen like 20lb bag at walmart for under $10 it was really affordable!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
when i wasn't comfortable with a full raw diet i would give them one cup of Taste of the Wild kibble in the morning, and then for dinner I would give them one raw Chicken thigh, I'd just get a frozen like 20lb bag at walmart for under $10 it was really affordable!

Yep, I kinda do the same thing now. I give them THK (1/3rd cup) and kibble (1 cup for Kody & 1/3 cup for Mya) in the morning. In the evening i give Kody 2 drum sticks and Mya one. Mya's been on a "diet" since she needed to lose so weight and Kody is totally on the skinny side.

I don't spend more than $20 every 3 weeks for their chicken =)
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 10:37 pm

What about the bones in the chicken thighs/legs...aren't they bad for dogs? I'll have to check out that dogfoodadivsor website.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 10:40 pm

they're actually really good for them! keep their teeth clean! Smile just make sure you don't give them bones if the chicken is cooked, it can splinter
Back to top Go down
Gary29
Newborn
Newborn
Gary29

Male Join date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 10:10 am

Skye is fed on Arden Grange lamb and rice kibble and Anglian Meat Products raw minced tripe and beef. She's also fed on bones from our local farmers market.
Back to top Go down
boom1186
Newborn
Newborn
boom1186

Female Join date : 2011-09-06

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 10:48 pm

Has anyone tried Before Grain?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 11:28 pm

Before Grain is a good food ingredients-wise, but I haven't personally tried it. However I don't think any of their foods are OK for puppies.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 11:38 pm

Before Grain is a Merrick brand dog food. We feed another Merrick food (Whole Earth Farms - with grains) and have been happy with the quality. I think I noticed that the Before Grain is rather expensive if you compare its price to that of another grain-free food (like Blue Buffalo).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 11:59 pm

I think it's price is under $50 bucks, at least you can find it online for under $50.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 12:46 am

I feed Bella 4Health Puppy (pretty cost effective; $18 for 18 lb bag and is good on her tummy since she had all of the problems before. Rated 4/5 stars on dogfoodadvisor.com) right now. I've been talking with another Sibe owner friend of mine who feeds raw and have been considering starting her on that within the next few months. Probably after our classes are done.

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 1:43 am

I am currently switching back to TOTW Sierra Mountain Lamb which he LOVES! WOOO!!! haha Rolling Eyes and am currently awaiting THK samples to do a taste-testing.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 8:54 am

I just started my puppy on raw today! He had his first raw meal for breakfast, a chicken quarter. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 1:49 pm

Around here we feed Native Performance Dog Food (level 4) to the sled dogs and Purina to the pet dogs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com
Storz
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Just read through a lot on here and we are going to give TOTW a try (mixing it in from her current foster food) Just wonderg if the "High Prarie" protein level is too high for an adult husky at 32%
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 13 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21 ... 29  Next