It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 4:48 pm

Storz wrote:
Just wonderg if the "High Prarie" protein level is too high for an adult husky at 32%

I don't consider 32% to be high protein at all and High Prairie is fine for all life stages.

Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-05-17

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Sibes should have no issues with protein. The only difference you should get is more, long time energy. The real problems come in with carbs, sugars, and extremely high fats. I've also noticed most Sibes have issues with Oatmeal and other grains. Many also have problems with chicken and lamb. Just the info I've gathered over the last few years.

I feed mine a rotation of TOTW(fish), Wellness CORE(fish), and Orijen(Red meat).
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 10:18 pm

The only proteins that agree with Kale has been lamb, fish, and turkey. He does good with unprocessed oatmeal but not any other grains.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Shiya's momma
Newborn
Newborn
Shiya's momma

Female Join date : 2011-09-28

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 2:09 pm

Has anyone here ever heard of or has fed Wysong dog food? I recently purchase a bag of Epigen by them. It's starch free and high protein food. Shiya loved it. She just sees the bag and goes crazy. She's usually kinda(real) picky about kibble alone, but not with this food.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 2:15 pm

Just looked them up- I don't like how they just list "Vegetable protein" and say it could be 1 or more of a whole bunch of sources since they list corn and wheat in that source.

Quote :
Ingredients: Organic Chicken, Chicken Meal, Chicken Giblets, Vegetable Protein (consisting of one or more of the following: Potato Protein, Rice Protein, Corn Protein, Wheat Protein),

Since it's such high protein (60%) I worry just how much the vegetable protein really consists of. Other than that they tend to use a lot of beet pulp which is a filler.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Shiya's momma
Newborn
Newborn
Shiya's momma

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 2:37 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Just looked them up- I don't like how they just list "Vegetable protein" and say it could be 1 or more of a whole bunch of sources since they list corn and wheat in that source.

Quote :
Ingredients: Organic Chicken, Chicken Meal, Chicken Giblets, Vegetable Protein (consisting of one or more of the following: Potato Protein, Rice Protein, Corn Protein, Wheat Protein),

Since it's such high protein (60%) I worry just how much the vegetable protein really consists of. Other than that they tend to use a lot of beet pulp which is a filler.
I have visited their website often. In their FAQ's they state the reason for the vagueness of veg protein is that they rotate every batch to help in the rotation diet. May be BS and I do only give her small amounts. She usually eats Wellness or TOTW and I home cook for her instead of canned. She is a special needs dog. Very long story! I bang my head on whats best for her. I have some issue with raw. I know it's best however I am hestiant. I usually use crock pot method to try to keep as much nutrients as possible. Feed raw fruits and veggies but raw meat...Im the one with the concern of cleanliness! She doesnt really have a senstive stomach like her brother did. I can usually acclaimate new foods easily without GI issues. But I am seeking advice just because she is Epileptic and may have hypothyroidism. She is just out of the hospital for a loading dose of Potasium Bromide so we can take her off of Phenobarbitol. Cant test thyroid while she's on Pheno. I also wanted her switch because she is so young and Pheno causes liver damage. So Ive researched and read and bang my head as to what is best for Shiya!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Breathe! Relax! lol

Have you looked into raw patties? Or dehydrated raw such as The Honest Kitchen or Grandma Lucys? I know raw can be intimidating but well you know Smile It's the best for them lol

Back to top Go down
Answer069
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2011-09-13

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 3:58 pm

We are feeding our dogs a food called Solid Gold and the food is called Barking at the Moon. It is 40% protein and 20% fat and there is no by-products in it at all.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Switched them back to Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain Lamb Formula after we had so many problems with Wetlands and High Prairie and they're still doing really good on it. I still wanna switch them to THK, but gotta sort out all my bills and credit cards lol
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:47 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
Switched them back to Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain Lamb Formula after we had so many problems with Wetlands and High Prairie and they're still doing really good on it. I still wanna switch them to THK, but gotta sort out all my bills and credit cards lol

That's what Kale is on Very Happy that and THK Zeal. His coat is the most luxurious it has ever been! I just can't stop touching him, and he always looks at me like I'm from outer space haha I'm so glad that he's on a diet that he's doing great on!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 5:56 pm

I was giving them both THK Embark mixed in with their TOTW, I think I'm gonna keep up with that cause they were looking so good on it, not that they don't now just not as soft Razz
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
I was giving them both THK Embark mixed in with their TOTW, I think I'm gonna keep up with that cause they were looking so good on it, not that they don't now just not as soft Razz

WOO for soft Huskys!! haha Laughing I was thinking about switching to Embark or Force when the Zeal is gone. Have you tried their Sparkle supplement? Kale has been on it for a few weeks now and I'm starting to see a difference in his skin, he doesn't itch as much either. Very Happy I never knew that I could get so excited over solid poopies and soft fur lol!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 6:01 pm

IDK I really just can't get the whole appeal of THK. The crazy stool volume was enough to send me away running LOL

Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 6:06 pm

arooroomom wrote:
IDK I really just can't get the whole appeal of THK. The crazy stool volume was enough to send me away running LOL

Hmm Kale hasn't had too much of a difference. He's always pooped a lot haha 3-4 times a day; smaller poos. Maybe that's why his nickname is turd. silent lol
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 6:09 pm

I don't think I feed them enough of it to make much of a stool change, they probably poop like twice a day. Well Zoey might be more, she's weird..
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 6:10 pm

hypers987 wrote:
Jennet&Embry wrote:

WOO for soft Huskys!! haha Laughing I was thinking about switching to Embark or Force when the Zeal is gone. Have you tried their Sparkle supplement? Kale has been on it for a few weeks now and I'm starting to see a difference in his skin, he doesn't itch as much either. Very Happy I never knew that I could get so excited over solid poopies and soft fur lol!

I had them on Embark for a while. They loved it! THK helped Kody so much with his tummy issues that it's not even funny. Oh, and the fur....so much softer!!! Kody has always had soft fur, but Mya not so much and now you can totally tell the difference.

I was jumping up and down when Kody has solid poops..lol!!!

Now they're on Keen though and still doing great on it!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 6:12 pm

Oh, and like Jennet I don't give them that much of it so the poop volume isn't crazy. When I started Kody on it though he was just on THK and affraid LOTS OF POOP!!! I mix it with either kibble or raw.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 6:16 pm

Yeah Zoey has the worst stools. And she's a walking pooper...Can't stand it. But whenever she has THK her poop is so much better
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 6:19 pm

Ughhhhh, both of mine do that some times! Drives me insane! Then they get poop on their back legs some times silent
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Eww gross! Worst we have is she sometimes makes her way onto the concrete pavement by the side door and the tie outs get covered in poop from being dragged through it. Disgusting!
Back to top Go down
Shiya's momma
Newborn
Newborn
Shiya's momma

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 9:48 am

arooroomom wrote:
Breathe! Relax! lol

Have you looked into raw patties? Or dehydrated raw such as The Honest Kitchen or Grandma Lucys? I know raw can be intimidating but well you know Smile It's the best for them lol

I have looked into THK but there's rosemary in it. Rosemary is a neuro-toxin and there's some concern about feeding it to epi dogs. In extruded kibble the heat lowers its potency. I will have to look at Grandma Lucy's ingredience to see if it contains rosemary.
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 3:39 pm

mine Have decided the are Bored n Boycotting food till i buy them something New .. Well i Did..
tried barking @ the Moon .. Meh They are jus as Bored as they were on taste of the Wild .. All the like is raw anymore .. Spoiled babies But Actually saves Money & i knw what They are eatting Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Haven't tried it yet but I bought a bag of the Nutri Source Grain Free (Lamb) today. Rated 4 of 5 *'s with Dog Food Advisor. The biggest reason I went with it was when we went to the Maddie's Expo 2 weeks ago one of the vendors there gave me a couple sample packs. Adobo went bonkers for it and she can be quite a nit picker at times. Oh and its $7 a bag lower in cost then the usual TOTW.

Will update when I see how they react to it a week in the bag.
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Female Join date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 2:06 pm

I've been feeding Sky Wellness Super 5 Mix Puppy and she seems to do well on it. I tried Blue Buffalo (not sure which one) a while back, since it was slightly cheaper and the ingredients looked about equivalent, but she had some stomach issues. The vet said she's known quite a few dogs to have issues with that brand, so I switched her back to the Wellness. Now I think it may have just been bad treat choices that caused her problems, but I'm going to stick with what works.

I mostly give her Fresh Pet chicken, veg, and rice as a training treat now. I learned from our obedience trainer to cut it up into little cubes and stick it in the oven for a few minutes to make it hold its shape. I feel better giving her that than a lot of the other "junk food" treats, and she gets really excited about it. Plus, it seems to sit well in her tummy, and it's cost effective! *win!*

I've been doing a lot of reading up on raw for the past few days, and I'm thinking I might give it a try once I can save up enough for a chest freezer. (Been wanting one, anyway. Yay! Excuse! Razz ) The one thing I haven't read anything about yet is feeding locations. Do you disinfect the floor after they get chicken juice everywhere? Or put plastic down? I can't imagine her keeping something she needs to gnaw on in her bowl while she eats. (I'll move this question to the raw feeding forum, if you'd prefer.)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 3:13 pm

I feed raw on the hard floors in my house over newspaper and on a cutting board. If any gets on the floor I just disinfect like I would with my kitchen countertops. If I feed my chi girls indoors then I do it in their crate so I can easily disinfect the plastic. Some people feed raw on a towel in the house to keep their floors clean.

If the weather's nice outside then I just prefer to feed their raw meals in the backyard so I don't have to worry about any mess or clean up.

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 14 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21 ... 29  Next